Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering starting a new forum.

Options
  • 18-06-2012 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭

I want to start a forum related to my profession as feel could be of use and not much in the way of Irish forum for this.

Anyways I have no web skills so wondering how to go about setting it up. I want a .ie domain so would have to register a business name with CRO, thats fair enough and not expensive.

So then need to get some webhosting, like digiweb, and then choose a forum interface/software to use. How difficult it this to do and do I need much in terms of investment? How much could i expect it to cost to setup a working forum, hosted by myself.

This is very much an early thought on the idea but would like to gather further info before I consider taking it any further.

Mods - I hope this is ok post. Feel free to move or PM me if you feel not appropriate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Blog no... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Cork24 wrote: »
    Blog no... ?

Not looking for blog to provide my opinions. I want to have a forum which will be able to have people share and discuss opinions.

Blog is Free.. and allows people to share

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Stick a forum request in feedback?

Blog is Free.. and allows people to share

Blog is very much people sharing on the bloggers experience. I wish to have an online community for a profession for ideas to be shared and problems discussed.

A blog is not what I am looking for unfortunately. Its easier but not suited.

• Advertisement

Theirs web host that host forums like this one..

just google it should be easy to find

hardCopy wrote: »
    Stick a forum request in feedback?

Want to do my own and be more focused on the subject. Boards is great but very broad and sometimes individual detailed areas dont get the attention they need so thought may see how a standalone forum would suit.
    Theirs web host that host forums like this one..

just google it should be easy to find

Ok will check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

You'll need to get hosting and a domain name. A .org or similar will cost about 10 euros for a years registration, and hosting will set you back in the region of 60-70 euros per annum.

Edit: Much of the software you need is free/openware and can be installed easily through the control panel of the hosting provider. So your investment is probably limited to the above - unless you want or need to pay for advertising/marketing of the forum to your chosen audience. See below.

That said, if it's a particular interest group / professional sector, are you sure you'll have the traffic? There may be a lot of work involved in generating traffic to the site in order to make the forum worthwhile (ie having a number of active contributors) not to mention the potential pitfalls of moderation and generally monitoring the site for libellous remarks and that sort of thing - just a warning I suppose!

Prenderb wrote: »
    You'll need to get hosting and a domain name. A .org or similar will cost about 10 euros for a years registration, and hosting will set you back in the region of 60-70 euros per annum.

That said, if it's a particular interest group / professional sector, are you sure you'll have the traffic? There may be a lot of work involved in generating traffic to the site in order to make the forum worthwhile (ie having a number of active contributors) not to mention the potential pitfalls of moderation and generally monitoring the site for libellous remarks and that sort of thing - just a warning I suppose!

Yeah I suppose the traffic is the thing. I would have to work on that. The libellous issue is something I would have to consider but the forum would be very much based on solving problems put forward rather than opinions on public figures or companies and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Some hosting packages will contain apps such as forums, galleries etc.. so I would start there dont think I can name the one I know of and the one I tested to see it working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭omega42

you could use something like phpBB, very easy to set up and add forums/subforums/users/admins etc. its also free as far as I know

.ie or .com depends on your market. A good .com will have world appeal but there is very little use in any-name-you-can-think-of.com. If you cant get a catchy .com or you are just appealing to an Irish market then go for a .ie.

Advertisement