Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want to unlock my iPhone so that I can switch networks: How?

• 18-06-2012 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

I am moving to the United Arab Emirates in a few months and want to use my iPhone 4s over there. In Ireland, the phone is locked to Meteor. Meteor have said that they cannot unlock it, but that Apple might. Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the process and whether Apple will indeed unlock it for me. Their helpline is closed at the moment.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Why did meteor say they cant unlock it? Normally the network requests the unlock code from Apple who then unlock your device. You then sync it to iTunes and it;s unlocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Because I'm still in contract.

Amtmann wrote: »
    Because I'm still in contract.

I don't know why meteor said try apple as it is they who are the problem. They must request it as they had it locked. I can't see apple unlocking it because you asked and not meteor.
    I'm not as up on iphones unlocking as I used to be. There used to be a gavi sim or jailbreaking followed by unlocking. Have a Google as I don't see apple agreeing to an unlock without the request coming from meteor.

Hmm - thanks. Can someone recommend a reputable website that has good instructions for safe jailbreaking? There are several websites about this; but I don't know which ones are trustworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I'm not sure but I don't think there is anyway to unlock a 4s yet other than through apple

• Advertisement

Hmm. Followed the instructions on this video:

Seems OK.

Amtmann wrote: »
    Hmm. Followed the instructions on this video:

Seems OK.
    That's nothing to do with an unlock though. Jailbreak and unlock are completely different things

Yep, you're right. Thought it might have been a silver bullet. The phone is fine after being jailbroken, though the "Music" icon is now white for some reason.

Anyone out there have tips for unlocking this iPhone?

Reboot the phone and the white icon will dissappear. Unfortunately you have no hope of a software unlock for the foreseeable future

Nope, I've turned the phone on and off several times and the white icon remains. It doesn't impede functionality, but it is unsightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Meteor can request a permanent unlock from Apple, but you will probably have to buy out of the remainder of your contract with them.

Don't accept a "we can't" answer from them. That's just plain incorrect.

Why would you pay someone to do something that o2 do free of charge

• Registered Users Posts: 29 James Doyle123

guil wrote: »
    Why would you pay someone to do something that o2 do free of charge

unless you have a business contract they wont unlock your phone unless contract is finished or you buy it out, its standard procedure to not unlock customers phones because if its unlocked they can stop paying bill and nothing can be done, if a business stops paying theres lots of things can be done to get money

Also O2 and them state that X amount of credit has to go through phone before they will unlock usally €130, they sold the phone at a discount to you so they want to made money back,

Sometimes if you tell them your going on holiday they might but an offical unlock takes time, usally 2 weeks maybe longer through your network provider the guy i used had it done in a week

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

unless you have a business contract they wont unlock your phone unless contract is finished or you buy it out, its standard procedure to not unlock customers phones because if its unlocked they can stop paying bill and nothing can be done, if a business stops paying theres lots of things can be done to get money

Also O2 and them state that X amount of credit has to go through phone before they will unlock usally €130, they sold the phone at a discount to you so they want to made money back,

Sometimes if you tell them your going on holiday they might but an offical unlock takes time, usally 2 weeks maybe longer through your network provider the guy i used had it done in a week

Every other post I've seen about O2 say they unlock after a couple of weeks of contract......The only one that does.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

No, O2 are extremely and surprisingly amenable to immediate unlocking. Just did a brand-new 4S last week. Took 24 hours.

culabula wrote: »
    No, O2 are extremely and surprisingly amenable to immediate unlocking. Just did a brand-new 4S last week. Took 24 hours.

They may unlock the phone but they'll still charge you for the full contract if you terminate early. Which in the OP's case is still the problem even if they get their phone unlocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

cookie1977 wrote: »
    They may unlock the phone but they'll still charge you for the full contract if you terminate early. Which in the OP's case is still the problem even if they get their phone unlocked

A fair point and not pertinent to the OP since he's not with O2.

Just pointing out that if you are with O2 and wish to travel but not terminate, they will unlock the phone.

Advertisement