Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diesel Starlet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yep it's jap, see the sticker on the back window

I'd be a little concerned about parts availability and vrt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

wow, toyota combined the 2 worst things ever, small diesel cars and jap import starlets.

this is the universal drug mobile, suitable for lads from tallaght to tyrone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yep it's jap, see the sticker on the back window

I'd be a little concerned about parts availability and vrt

The father said much the same, :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

You can put all the D-Turbo stickers on it and it will not make it a D-Turbo. They were a whopping 50bhp new. I don't think they ever had a turbo version of it. If its a turbo it's out of the corrolla and its had an engine swap.

Buy a petrol one. Half the price and less tax.

BX 19 wrote: »
    You can put all the D-Turbo stickers on it and it will not make it a D-Turbo. They were a whopping 50bhp new. I don't think they ever had a turbo version of it. If its a turbo it's out of the corrolla and its had an engine swap.

Buy a petrol one. Half the price and less tax.

Wasn't even after a starlet, but looking for a small engined diesel, ran away with myself before I considered the logistics of it. I am no longer tempted :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Look for an irish diahatsu charade diesel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The asking price has one or two zeros too many :D

Seriously. Even if you got it free, it is worth less than the VRT you have to pay for it to bring it in. If you really must buy an old cheap reliable Toyota, get a Starlet / Corolla from the late 90s with the 1.3 petrol engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Look for an irish diahatsu charade diesel!

I'd say most if not all of those 3 cylinder yokes have biodegraded by now. :)

Small diesels of that vintage are rare as back then they cost a hefty premium over the petrol models. Given how rugal the petrol models were most folks could not justify the premium or if doing alot of mileage they pushed the boat out and bought something from the next segment up which would have been more suitable for eating miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Conor_M1990

A mate of mine paid 1000 for a 91 shape like they do make that sort of money Young lads will pay good money for old Toyotas in this country even if they are ****e.

Get a 206 hdi or clio dci same tax better cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

A mate of mine paid 1000 for a 91 shape

thats just tax on the cultchie/stupid.

timimg is crucial when buying cheap cars these days as everyone wants them and well... its supply vs demand at its best.

Ideally OP go for a corrolla... with VVTI is possible ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭voojeq

saxo diesel would do me thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Punto mk2.5 with the 1.3 multijet would be my choice of small diesel on a budget

Thanks lads, had a look at all the above, waiting for some extra cash to be freed up and then I can look at getting something a bit proper. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

As regards that particular starlet i think that has been for sale for nearly a year now if memory serves me right. to be fair i think its been ****ed around with at some stage, those silly wheels and side skirts and the manky line where the drivers wnd deflector has been peeled off. its probably not half as fresh in real life i'd say.
    A mate of mine paid 1000 for a 91 shape like they do make that sort of money Young lads will pay good money for old Toyotas in this country even if they are ****e.

Get a 206 hdi or clio dci same tax better cars

thats ****e advice imo. despite the 91 starlet having very few creature comforts in the form of electronics/ safety, i reckon for the cost of it i would be much more likely to do 250,000 trouble free miles than in a clio or 206 diesel.

Advertisement