Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Price of kindle books!

• 18-06-2012 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭

I was looking at a few books and when I saw the price of the ebook to a paper book my jaw nearly hit the floor it's a joke you not saving anything but in fact costing more for ebooks

No wonder torrents are growing

So do you pay or torrent your books

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Books are one thing I definitely wouldn't torrent. Don't ask me why, I'm sure just as much work goes into producing a good album and moreso into a movie/TV show etc, but I write myself so just couldn't bring myself to do that.*

*That is unless I've bought the book already and want it as an ebook. I'm not paying for it twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

The fact that you can store loads of books in a tiny space. That you could take it with you to read any book you want instead of dragging a trailer full behind you. It's supposed to be for people that travel a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I don't have a Kindle, I don't like them. I own around 2000 books, all in paper.

I do however have an iPad, and I have some books on this, all classics you can get for free legally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

The fact that you can store loads of books in a tiny space. That you could take it with you to read any book you want instead of dragging a trailer full behind you. It's supposed to be for people that travel a lot.

Yeah, and all the printing and manufacturing costs.. Wait.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Disagreeing with the price of something is not a reason to take it for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

While on average eBooks should be a little cheaper books don't cost much at all to produce, so eBooks should only be a little cheaper than paper books.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I've found the opposite; most of the books I've thought to check in the Kindle Store have been significantly cheaper than the paper equivalents. Reasonably newly published books are usually the same in dollars as paper books are in euro.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Astonishingly, ebooks cost pretty much the same as hardcopies to produce. Sucks but it's true.

Oh, and BTW, kindles are the greatest gadget in existence. I'd be lost without mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

I know it cost the same to for both sides of the book but once it's writing surly the ebook should cost less,

I'm looking at computer books which each can cost anything from 40 to 120 euros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Astonishingly, ebooks cost pretty much the same as hardcopies to produce. Sucks but it's true.

Oh, and BTW, kindles are the greatest gadget in existence. I'd be lost without mine.

How could that be?

Initial prototype copy maybe but once a digital copy is mastered it can be streamed through a server indefinably without extra print, hard copy or distribution expenses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

newsflash you can download them for free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Cork24 wrote: »
    I was looking at a few books and when I saw the price of the ebook to a paper book my jaw nearly hit the floor it's a joke you not saving anything but in fact costing more for ebooks

No wonder torrents are growing

So do you pay or torrent your books

Nice try, FBI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Shenshen wrote: »
    I don't have a Kindle, I don't like them. I own around 2000 books, all in paper.

I do however have an iPad, and I have some books on this, all classics you can get for free legally.
    Preferring paper books is one thing, but for a dedicated reading device, Kindles or any of the other e-ink readers are far superior to a backlit LCD iPad screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭tigger123

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Preferring paper books is one thing, but for a dedicated reading device, Kindles or any of the other e-ink readers are far superior to a backlit LCD iPad screen.

+ 1. I have a Sony E-Reader since Christmas, it's my most prized possession, goes everywhere with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Jimoslimos wrote: »

To be perfectly honest, I don't have the money to spend to buy something with only one function, namely to allow me to read books at the same price as paper ones...

Go to the library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

How so? No pre press, print, paper or distribution costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Go to the library.
    I want to go to the library but I think I owe them a ton of money... I miss the library...

Anyway I torrent some books (I'll be fcuked if I'm paying for The Hunger Games) but there's no real selection. If I actually want a book I go and buy a real copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

How could that be?

Initial prototype copy maybe but once a digital copy is mastered it can be streamed through a server indefinably without extra print, hard copy or distribution expenses.
    How so? No pre press, print, paper or distribution costs.

Do you guys buy blank books and fill them in yourselves or something?

--LOS-- wrote: »
    newsflash you can download them for free

Really ?? :eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Nice try, FBI.

I wish i worked for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Shenshen wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest, I don't have the money to spend to buy something with only one function, namely to allow me to read books at the same price as paper ones...

You can get a huge number of books for free, legally, from websites such as Gutenberg.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭FullRetard

I have a kindle and love it.Just dont have room to keep all my hard copy books and end up selling most of them.

Have I torrented some books?Yes but to be honest any book released by one of my favourite authors will be bought @20+€;(hardback).

also a lot of books I have read that have been torrented I wouldnt of bought anyway so the author wouldnt of made money either way.

For me personally I have never had a problem paying top dollar for new books or games,only download ones I normaly wouldnt read or play and more often than not wouldnt continue past the first few chapters

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I would love the creative ability to write, and write well. Its a talent I really admire and reading is my great love. I would never deny an author an income from their work, they deserve it for giving me the pleasure and escapism of their stories. So no, I've never downloaded books illegally.

I have a kindle and even though I'm a complete techno-idiot, its my favourite thing ever. I have a backlit Kindle Fire tablet/eReader that I use to read in the dark in bed, and I bought a regular Kindle Touch that comes everywhere with me. Everywhere I go, I take at least 200 books because of that Kindle. I used to be devoted to paper, never saw myself embracing the Kindle, but now I never look back.

Every cent I spend on Kindle books is money well spent for the enjoyment they give me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

FullRetard wrote: »

also a lot of books I have read that have been torrented I wouldnt of bought anyway so the author wouldnt of made money either way.

For me personally I have never had a problem paying top dollar for new books or games,only download ones I normaly wouldnt read or play and more often than not wouldnt continue past the first few chapters
    I don't understand that logic whatsoever. You get all the benefit of reading the book, watching the movie or whatever, but none of the guild because "I wouldn't have paid money for it if it wasn't available for free" basically?

Anyway, link for people saying ebooks are free to produce.

http://www.teleread.com/ebooks/e-books-do-not-cost-nothing-to-produce/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

I agree that there is an initial cost in putting together an ebook. However, after that initial outlay the cost drops significantly. This should be reflected in the price of the ebook over time. As the books I read are generally half the price in paperback, I am reluctant to pay the premium for ebooks at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I've a kindle and I find the books are very cheap, then again, I order from Amazon.com not UK because its cheaper :)

The Snipe wrote: »
    I've a kindle and I find the books are very cheap, then again, I order from Amazon.com not UK because its cheaper :)

I don't think you actually have a choice from where you order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Giselle wrote: »
    I don't think you actually have a choice from where you order.

Nope, my account is set up with Amazon.com and I get charged in USD.

The Snipe wrote: »
    Nope, my account is set up with Amazon.com and I get charged in USD.

All Irish customers are sent to the Amazon.com site and billed in USD. Its to do with DRM, as far as I know. I don't know anyone who buys their ebooks from Ireland through any other Amazon site.

Thats what I mean by you not having a choice in the matter.

From http://www.irishpublishingnews.com/tag/irish-kindle/

''Irish customers must buy Kindle ebooks from the Amazon.com site too*. This wrinkle means that although there are now four Euro denominated Kindle stores (Spain, Italy, Germany and France) Irish buyers purchase their ebooks in Dollars and with a slight price disadvantage.''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Love, love, love my Kindle. I wouldn't be without it! I don't think the books are any more expensive than paper books. And they have a daily 99p book.

I'm definitely reading a lot more since I got it, so for that it wins!

How much cheaper are they if you buy them from the American Amazon as when i go to buy books its taken me to the Uk Site which is in pound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

Kindle have GPS now ?

• Advertisement

How much cheaper are they if you buy them from the American Amazon as when i go to buy books its taken me to the Uk Site which is in pound

I don't know about paper books, but its much of a muchness with the eBooks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Because they can get away with it?

I'd not be able to make use of a technical book on the likes of a kindle though, would need to be the hard copy for it to be of use. Of course those books would tend to weigh a ton so that makes the electronic version easier to cart about, but still wouldn't be able to "read" such a book kindle'ified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Giselle wrote: »
    I would love the creative ability to write, and write well. Its a talent I really admire and reading is my great love. I would never deny an author an income from their work, they deserve it for giving me the pleasure and escapism of their stories. So no, I've never downloaded books illegally.

I have a kindle and even though I'm a complete techno-idiot, its my favourite thing ever. I have a backlit Kindle Fire tablet/eReader that I use to read in the dark in bed, and I bought a regular Kindle Touch that comes everywhere with me. Everywhere I go, I take at least 200 books because of that Kindle. I used to be devoted to paper, never saw myself embracing the Kindle, but now I never look back.

Every cent I spend on Kindle books is money well spent for the enjoyment they give me.

Giselle, nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say so here's a few links you or others may be interested in:

http://absolutewrite.com/

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/index.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

robinph wrote: »
    Because they can get away with it?

I'd not be able to make use of a technical book on the likes of a kindle though, would need to be the hard copy for it to be of use. Of course those books would tend to weigh a ton so that makes the electronic version easier to cart about, but still wouldn't be able to "read" such a book kindle'ified.
    Kindle DX is a larger version (9" screen I think) which makes it more suitable for reading technical pdf documents without conversion. Heard rumours that it was to be discontinued though. In this case I can see the advantage of an iPad/tablet, but for general reading, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Rango555

Anyway, link for people saying ebooks are free to produce.

http://www.teleread.com/ebooks/e-books-do-not-cost-nothing-to-produce/

Your link doesn't really help your argument... the author sums up with
    McFadden does admit she may not be putting Chabon’s words into the right context. And I think that’s right. She’s kind of comparing apples and oranges. Yes, e-books have fixed costs of production, of the sort she describes. So do paper books. And they share many of the same costs, and (as McFadden notes) since e-book publishing and print publishing are often treated as two separate things instead of one thing with two separate products, they often duplicate those costs. But what Chabon is talking about when he says they “cost nothing to produce” is the marginal cost. It costs a certain amount of money to run off each paper book, to ship it, to store it, and possibly to ship it back and destroy it. But e-books have such a miniscule production cost per unit—a few watts of electricity, a few kilobytes of bandwidth—that they effectively cost nothing to run off each digital copy. So if we assume that fixed costs are equal, e-books will earn those costs out much faster while not adding any marginal ones.
    Also the comments on it are an interesting read.

• Advertisement
Advertisement