Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Ferries Wifi

Options
  • 18-06-2012 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

Has anyone used the free wifi on Irish Ferries' Ulysses ferry? Just wondering how much coverage there is across the ferry. Hoping it doesn't just cover the bar area.

Anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,360 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It seems to cover the entire main lounge areas.

On the Swift (not sure about Ulysses) there seemed to be two different services, one for lounge and a better one for club class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Victor wrote: »
    It seems to cover the entire main lounge areas.

On the Swift (not sure about Ulysses) there seemed to be two different services, one for lounge and a better one for club class.

Thanks for the reply.

Do you know if it covers the area above the shop on the Ulysses? The circle of seats.

I wasn't up there, I imagine it does.

I wasn't up there, I imagine it does.

Grand stuff. Sure I suppose I'll know for definite tomorrow. Cheers man!

Just to report back on this for anyone who may be interested.

I was sat above the shop on the Ulysses crossing and the Free Wifi barely reached (kept disconnecting) on my phone so was unusable. It was easily within range for my laptop though - I was getting 3/4 bars, sometimes 4. However, I found the quality of the Wifi to be appalling. Took ages, usually 2 or 3 minutes, for even basic webpages to load up on my browser.

I'm used to the Stena wifi so am basing my opinion on that. It's nowhere near the standard/reliability of theirs, and I still think Stena's could be improved, even for satellite wifi.

So to sum-up: It works, just about, but don't expect it to make you crossing go faster. If you're like me you'll get frustrated with it after half an hour and give up.

• Advertisement

So, you get on one of the largest car ferries in the world and pick the one spot where the wi-fi isn't great and say it isn't good enough?

So, you get on one of the largest car ferries in the world and pick the one spot where the wi-fi isn't great and say it isn't good enough?

If you read my post you'll find that the connection was good on my laptop so that wasn't a factor in the internet quality on this occasion.

What I didn't mention before, but will do now since my opinion is being scrutinised, is that about half an hour before docking I moved to the bar at the front of the ferry. Although the wifi signal improved dramatically the reliability and general performance did not.

So, yes, I am saying that the wifi is not good enough, especially when I compare it to what Stena offer. If im comparing the two ferrys without this then I prefer the Ulysses, but sadly, due to my profession, free wifi is a major factor in my choice so its important that's its usable on the crossing.

Perhaps I caught the service on a bad day, but I can only describe my experience based on that.

Advertisement