Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bono presents award to Aung San Suu Kyi

• 18-06-2012 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭

This may not bother some but it grinds my gears.
    After spending 15 years under house arrest for fight for democracy, Aung San Suu Kyi makes her first trip to Europe and was presented with the Nobel Peace Prize she was awarded in 1991. Presented by our ambassador Bono. I cant stand Bono any more. I cant think of a bigger publicity whore than Bono. Why does Bono present this award. To borrow a line from south Park, at some stage cant he just F**k off?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I hope she asks him to pay his taxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dammit Degsy's banned from AH :mad:

This thread could have been epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭lightspeed

that whole thing about him taking his money to save on taxes, that was the tipping point for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Uninformed ranting woooo \o/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

They had to get Bono in 'cos Jedward needed a day off from covering everything else so far recently! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Im guessing he gave it too her as he's always been vocal in his support for her.

And Bono's grand, if i was as rich and as famous as him id been an even bigger pain in the arse, I've never understood all the hate he gets from the Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Wrong award. The Nobel was presented in Stockholm a few days ago. The award Bono handed out today was from Amnesty International:
    Burma's pro-democracy campaigner Aung San Suu Kyi has received the prestigious Amnesty Ambassador of Conscience award. It was presented to her by Bono at an event in the Bord Gáis Energy Theatre in Dublin.
    Accepting her award, Ms Suu Kyi said she found the whole experience "totally unexpected".

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gemma188

This thread could have been epic.

You must be easily amused

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Is he? What did he do?

As regards the issue: we have to give it to her. Everybody else is honouring her. Although fighting for democracy these days is like cheating at the Special Olympics.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

gemma188 wrote: »
    You must be easily amused

When Gerry Ryan quoted posts of Degsy's (from boards.ie) in regards to Bono (and G.R.) you know his Bono posts were epic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

He loves getting his big fat head everywhere, that twerp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Pantsface wrote: »
    He loves getting his big fat head everywhere, that twerp

That's not a nice way of talking about a poster who has been banned from AH. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

lol @ jealousy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm with Sinead O'Comor on this one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

lol @ jealousy

lol @ cuban heels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

If I had a penny for all the whinging I've heard about this man I'd probably be richer than he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I'm sure he'll want it back from her soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

If I had a penny for all the whinging I've heard about this man I'd probably be richer than he is.

Only if funnel said pennies through your corporate accounts in Holland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's been said many times in here but the rationalisation that dislike of rich people always stems from jealously must be one of the most spectacularly retarded and forelock tugging utterances one can make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

stovelid wrote: »
    It's been said many times in here but the rationalisation that dislike of rich people always stems from jealously must be one of the most spectacularly retarded and forelock tugging utterances one can make.

Rich people are okay, but rich hypocrites are another kettle of rotten fish.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Aung San Suu Kyi goes to Norway and receives the Nobel Prize, she comes here and is awarded the right to graze sheep on Stephens Green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

A bit insulting to the fine lady imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Hasn't she suffered enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

brummytom wrote: »
    Hasn't she suffered enough?

No pain, no gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

She's a crap singer anyway - I saw her on the X factory and she didn't have a note in her head. People must be easily impressed in Burma. Bono would have fully paid his taxes if they said that was what he had to do to ever meet or mention Aung Sang Shue Fung ever again. Michael Stipe would have let an elephant use him as a dildo for a week to have taken Bonos place - she's an international peace ambassador wonks wet dream tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Poster Boy

Ive no problem with his music - even like some of it - but he was previously involved in investing $100s of millions into software used for military training. Pandemic Studios was a sub contractor to the US army during the Bush regime, for more see below;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61373618&postcount=14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Poster Boy wrote: »
    Ive no problem with his music - even like some of it - but he was previously involved in investing $100s of millions into software used for military training. Pandemic Studios was a sub contractor to the US army during the Bush regime, for more see below;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61373618&postcount=14
    The investment went bad, the US military are still crap singers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Rich people are okay, but rich hypocrites are another kettle of rotten fish.:D

Poor hypocrites are not that great either.
    As for Bono. . . meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

I like Bono.

(and the savage eye)

and erm .... I'm a teacher on 3 months paid holidays and I've also included some gramattical and spelling errors for your pleasure so em..

xxxBeboGurlxxxx
    Bye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Bono presenting a Nobel Peace Prize? I doubt it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Bono presenting a Nobel Peace Prize? I doubt it
    I wouldn't mind seeing him present the Ig Nobel Peace Prize. Last year's award went to the Mayor of Vilnius in Lithuania, for his tactics in the war against illegally-parked cars:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

stovelid wrote: »
    I'm with Sinead O'Comor on this one.

Well someone's gotta be with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

lightspeed wrote: »
    After spending 15 years under house arrest for fight for democracy, Aung San Suu Kyi makes her first trip to Europe and was presented with the Nobel Peace Prize she was awarded in 1991. Presented by our ambassador Bono

Need better Burmese translator..........

*Asked for a black man with a massive tool and gets a massive tool dressed in black.*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The woman looks exhausted. Honestly.. she's been treated and viewed as a sporting trophy right now. It's quite an ugly spectacle really, imo.

Why doesn't Geldof just take a few years off after his ordeal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

To make it look like sand

FFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Hootanany wrote: »
    To make it look like sand

FFS

I know, what a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

lightspeed wrote: »
    After spending 15 years under house arrest for fight for democracy, Aung San Suu Kyi makes her first trip to Europe and was presented with the Nobel Peace Prize she was awarded in 1991. Presented by our ambassador Bono. I cant stand Bono any more. I cant think of a bigger publicity whore than Bono. Why does Bono present this award. To borrow a line from south Park, at some stage cant he just F**k off?

Bono has been vocally campaigning for her ever since she was put under house arrest, and long before you ever heard of her. There is probably no better person in the world to present this award to her than him

Also, the whole reason that this incredible person is in Ireland is because of Bono, so please take you begrudgery and stick it somewhere unpleasant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

dotsman wrote: »
    Bono has been vocally campaigning for her ever since she was put under house arrest, and long before you ever heard of her. There is probably no better person in the world to present this award to her than him

Also, the whole reason that this incredible person is in Ireland is because of Bono, so please take you begrudgery and stick it somewhere unpleasant.

Bono would campaign for free biscuits if he thought it'd make him sound worthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I heard that went back into voluntary house arrest/seclusion after Bono presented her with the award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Gets on my nerves big time :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Bono was onstage singing "Bullet the Blue Sky". In the middle, he hushes the band to a low whisper. Only the bass & Larry Mullen's drums are audible.

Over the low rythm, Bono starts clapping slowly and sonorously declaring.....

'Every time I clap my hands...... a bullet shoots across the cold blue sky....'

The crowd cheers....

'Every time I clap my hands...... a bomb falls on the midnight sky....'

The crowd goes wild...

'Every time I clap my hands...... a child in Africa dies....'

At which point someone shouts back...

'Well, stop fucking clapping, you idiot!!'

Advertisement