Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credible behavioural qualification?

• 18-06-2012 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭

Folks

Asking for someone still in Ireland (coz obviously am not about to undertake by correspondence... :pac: )

Can you name some credible courses in canine behaviour, or dog psychology, or dog training? But definitely more the behavioural end of things - something that would help you assess a dog you were seeing for the first time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

There's not a lot available in Ireland on the behaviour end of things. The industry in the UK is really trying to get the "behaviourist" house in order, working towards proper qualification and accreditation before somebody has the right to use the title of "behaviourist", much like the titles of vet, or medical doctor, are protected.
    So, to cut along story short, to conform to the "future" industry requirements, both academic and experiential qualifications will apply.
    Academically, a minimum of a degree in animal behaviour will be required, plus demonstrable experience and CPD. People with related degrees, e.g. biology/zoology, veterinary, veterinary nursing etc can upskill by doing pertinent modules in established degree, PG Dip, or Masters programs, without having to do the full degree/PG Dip/Masters. For pet animals, the nearest courses available as it stands are in the UK.
    However, like any 3rd-level course, it's going to take a while for their graduates to build up some experience, which they should preferably do under the stewardship of an experienced behaviourist. This is not always possible, but the "future" requirements will also include a graduate to show that they have achieved an acceptable level with their practical skills, as well as their academic skills. It's quite a process, but rightly so, as this is a complex field, as you know.
    As it stands, the Association of Pet Behaviour Counsellors (APBC) require their members to have the above qualification and relevant experience, and indeed insurance companies that cover behavioural consults will only cover consults with APBC members, as this is the only organisation which standardises the "behaviourist" industry at this moment.
    For trainers, it's quite a bit easier. Alison Bush of www.happierhoundsdogtraining.com in Laois offers a super one year Compass accreditted course for dog training instructors: Compass courses are well recognised within the industry internationally, and due to the way they run things, their courses tend to be really excellent value for money. To my mind, a course which requires a reasonable time-frame of study from its students is preferable: shorter trainer courses are available (which are paradoxically considerably more expensive than the above 1-year course) but for me, such fast-track training is not something I agree with for those who are starting out from scratch as trainers. For people who already have training experience, such courses are a good way of getting the "piece of paper" to show that you have the necessary skills, and no doubt teaching you stuff you didn't know already!
    Putting my personal reservations aside, these courses are a good start in a country where people raise their eyebrows at the thouight of getting any form of qualification in DOG training?! Wha?!

This course is more aimed at people interested in agricultural animals, or zoo animals. Unless they've changed the syllabus quite a lot since I looked at it last year (and maybe they have!), it's not suitable for people interested in pet behaviour.

Edited to add: Oops! forgot that the department running this course are also doing some great research into whether lobsters feel pain, with a view to adding them to the animals protected under the NI (and UK?) Welfare Acts. As it stands, the only invertebrate protected under these Acts is the octopus. If they can show that lobsters feel pain, I suppose it's a step towards getting other inverterbates included for protection under the Welfare Acts too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

DBB wrote: »
    This course is more aimed at people interested in agricultural animals, or zoo animals. Unless they've changed the syllabus quite a lot since I looked at it last year (and maybe they have!), it's not suitable for people interested in pet behaviour.

Would a lot of the content not be transferable to companion animals? I'm guessing the main aspect that would be missing from this would be the human element involved in companion animal problems?

Would a lot of the content not be transferable to companion animals? I'm guessing the main aspect that would be missing from this would be the human element involved in companion animal problems?

Without doubt, there would be a LOT of crossover in the learning theory and ethological end of things, but my understanding is that the QUB course is aimed at the welfare end of animal behaviour, rather than active behavioural modification. So, for example, there'd be a big emphasis on learning about what any farm animal species' behavioural needs are so that their physical environment can be catered for, for their welfare: things like environmental enrichment and knowledge of social structure within the species would be vital. These are also vital for companion animals, but there's a few extra elements to companion animal behaviour in the active intervention and training which makes it, well, different!
    So whilst the science behind the behaviour would of course be the same, the way the students are taught to apply it for animals which are used for entirely different functions to pet animals would be quite different. I wouldn't imagine that this course would be acceptable, on its own, to become a companion animal behaviourist as per the "future" requirements, but it would certainly be easy enough for a graduate from this course to "top up" their companion animal skills by taking modules from a PG Dip/Masters aimed specifically at companion animal behaviourists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Excellent info - thanks very much!

Advertisement