Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray Aquathon Series

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

EC1000 wrote: »
    Peter, I look forward to seeing you at the midland series next year so :)

Midland tri, athlone tri, lanesboro tri and longford tri on four consecutive wednesdays!

That would cost me far more in transport costs than doing a race in Bray ;-)
    Anyway well done to you guys its great if you do it !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

peter kern wrote: »
    That would cost me far more in transport costs than doing a race in Bray ;-)
    Anyway well done to you guys its great if you do it !!!

Not trying to be a smart ar$e or anything but why do you feel the need for the bold bit? It's not the first time people on here have mentioned the midlands series and the great value they offer. Why question the fact they actually do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

pgibbo wrote: »
    Not trying to be a smart ar$e or anything but why do you feel the need for the bold bit? It's not the first time people on here have mentioned the midlands series and the great value they offer. Why question the fact they actually do?

germanglish or better i dont think its that hard to notice that Suttons english and my english are about the same poor level

so again

its fab that they organize a race for a 5er.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

peter kern wrote: »
    Those races help to keep the membership of the club that organices a race down .
    Most clubs give a doantion to the water saftey people (club)
    Ambulance is usually not free.

Personally i find it a bit funny that some are happy to do an ironman branded race and then dont want a club to make a few euro for a great race.

i don't see what any of the above (or the point on your transport costs) have to do with the original query as to why one is treble the price of the other.
    Again its not a witch hunt against WTC

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sea race would require more kayaks surely? A safety boat?

These races are first and foremost fundraisers for clubs and have plenty of costs associated with them. Why would they do them for €5 at a cost to the club or for no profit? Dunno what the set up is at the midlands races can't see how they could make anything on that entry fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭fluboy

Wow €5 is some value to do any organised Aquathon. Is that correct?

Anyway I think that €15 to do the Aquathon's in Bray is also great value for what you get in return. If you sign up for all three the cost comes down to €13.33.

I don't think it has anything to do with "squeezing as much as possible out of it based on demand". I just think that €15 is a fair amount to charge people for an evenings racing followed by a great feed.

fluboy wrote: »
    I just think that €15 is a fair amount to charge people for an evenings racing followed by a great feed.

dont get me wrong, i'm okay with paying the 15, i love these races, i was just wondering what people thought the main difference was in costs considering the price of the midlands one's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

miller82 wrote: »
    dont get me wrong, i'm okay with paying the 15, i love these races, i was just wondering what people thought the main difference was in costs considering the price of the midlands one's

The Midland league (as I understand it) is predominantly run as an interclub league between the four organising clubs. While they are open to non-members of those four clubs, there's obviously an agreement between the clubs to keep the cost of entry to a minimum to keep the entries high. I doubt any of the clubs make any money out of these races but its more to provide a little bit of friendly competition between the clubs as they are so close geographically.

Wicklow obviously do make some money out of their aquathons, nut they're not exactly a cash cow for them! The price is the same as Pulse charge for their races at the bull wall and I'd say its a reasonable price given the Dublin premium that goes on the cost of everything.

yeah fair enough. I get that these races are essential to the likes of Wicklow and Pulse. It was simply a query as to where the extra costs come from, is it a case of looking at price and demand or are there other costs they have to pay for that midlands don't. the price is reasonable enough to me (i've done 7), but some people seem to have taken it as me having a go at wicklow and got very defensive and taken it to private messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

I think I read somewhere that the midland races are not chip timed?? If that is the case i think that would take out €5 or so of the cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭fluboy

miller82 wrote: »
    but some people seem to have taken it as me having a go at wicklow and got very defensive and taken it to private messages.

I for one did not take it that you were having a go at Wicklow Tri. I taught it was a fair question, that has been answered correctly.

As per timing chips, the Bray Aquathon's are not chipped either. They use their own computer system backed up by a paper trail.

Advertisement