Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is EUR. 25 000 per annum a good salary?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

There are people who are unemployed on the social, with rent allowance, child benefit and medical card who get about the same if not more. I'm on around that after tax and it's not enough to live on if you live in Dublin. I struggle to make ends meet on that, with no social life or any holidays and it's very hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

FlyingD wrote: »
    Hi just been offered EUR 25.000,- Gross per annum.
    Is this a descent salary?

It depends on the job, if they want you to run a multinational corporation then no.
    If it's an entry level job with no responsibility then yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 FlyingD

Cedrus wrote: »
    It depends on the job, if they want you to run a multinational corporation then no.
    If it's an entry level job with no responsibility then yes.

It will be a customer service job at Pay Pal.
    I will have to use my EU language skills.
    I'm considering to relocate, but is EUR. 2083,- enough to live comfortable?

There are people who are unemployed on the social, with rent allowance, child benefit and medical card who get about the same if not more. I'm on around that after tax and it's not enough to live on if you live in Dublin. I struggle to make ends meet on that, with no social life or any holidays and it's very hard.

So EUR. 2000,- NET is not enough to live on per month?

• Registered Users Posts: 59,610 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

You'd come out with approx €1791 net per month in a full year on that gross pay (assuming that you're single with no children & totally standard tax details). If you started the job in say July of this year, you'd get a bit of a short-term benefit (net would be €1980 per month) as you would be able to use up tax credits from January.
    See my calculator (linked in my signature underneath or accessible from my profile page).

• Advertisement

You'd come out with approx €1791 net per month in a full year on that gross pay (assuming that you're single with no children & totally standard tax details). If you started the job in say July of this year, you'd get a bit of a short-term benefit (net would be €1980 per month) as you would be able to use up tax credits from January.
    See my calculator (linked in my signature underneath or accessible from my profile page).

I'll be starting the 2nd of July.
    How can you use tax credits from Jan?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Mansized Wreath

I was offered a job at €26000 a year gross. It's disappointing as I'm quite qualified and experienced however it's full time and permanent,at the moment I'm doing locum work which pays more per hour but isn't guaranteed,is sporadic and is 100 miles commute each way. OP it's not a great salary,granted, but the way I look at it is it's full time work when jobs are scarce and it seems to be a case of 'you need to have a job to get a job'. You might find something that pays higher down the road, I intend to keep job-hunting for a better salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Stuck Cone

Shóite, im due to start a job next year for approx 22k a year (entry level etc.), not great is it?:eek:

Thanks for link to tax calculator btw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭relax carry on

You may wish to check out the links below to understand how PAYE works as it will effect your take home pay for the rest of your life. It's pretty basic maths.

The reason you can use unused rate band and credits from January is the tax year runs from January to December and the normal basis for PAYE is cumulative meaning unused rate bands and credits build up until you start work at whatever point in the year.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/personal/faqs/how-do-i-work-out-my-tax.html

http://www.revenue.ie/en/personal/paye-guide-employees.html

• Registered Users Posts: 59,610 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Your employer will calculate your pay for you. Once s/he has received a notice from the tax office of your tax credits and cut-off point the tax credits from January will automatically be used. it's important therefore that you give your employer the required details, as per the following:

What you will need to do is the following:

1. Apply for a PPS number at your local Social Welfare office- details here.
    2. Give your PPS number details and employer details to your local tax office and request a certificate of tax credits- details here. The tax office will send you and your employer this certificate. The employer will then use these details for calculating your tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Right this thread has nothing to do with taxation.

I'm moving it to After Hours as you'll get more of a general reply there. There was a recent thread in relation to whether a €60k salary was a decent salary in AH - might be worth reading it.

If anyone has any tax specific queries out of this thread, read the stickies and if you can't find what you're looking for start a thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

How much are the diamonds and cocaine costing you?

€25000 is most certainly enough to live on & even have an average social life. There are people living on far less. Things are different if you have kids or a mortgage, but there are supports for the former, and no reason why one must feel the latter is some sort of obligation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

To those who think that is a low salary, try 22k starting salary in 2006 when a 1 bed cost 1200 pm to rent and prices were sky high!

If your working in paypal then you will probably be living in Dublin 15. You will be fine with 25K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Yes it's an excellent salary considering what people in other countries get for a months work.

Unless you borrowed beyond your means and have a crazy load to pay back, I can't imagine how you're possibly struggling. I'm on similar wages to you and I can afford to save around 800 quid a month after paying bills/food, socializing, taking the girlfriend out to restaurants and going out regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Sykk wrote: »
    Yes it's an excellent salary considering what people in other countries get for a months work.

It's not an excellent salary if you look at what Dublin costs to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Is this a descent salary?

No I'd say it's more of an ascent salary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Yep, certainly a good starting salary. You can live comfortably on that, so long as you've no expensive drug / gambling / hooker / mortgage paying / child rearing habits.

Ignore any comparisons to the dole, every month you work increases your earning potential, every month on the dole reduces it.

• Site Banned Posts: 13 rdsatapa

If you are single and frugal you should be fine in Dublin 15 on €25k per year. If you want to have a family you will need a second income. But this is a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

also remember with Paypal you'll be paid every 4 weeks so will have 13 pay days in the year instead of every month.

you are paid every 4th friday which is handy for doing weekly budgets.

also their are 4 bonus pay days each year which you should be entitled to.

If you have any questions re working in paypal PM me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I'm on around that, working and living in Dublin. Have been smashed the past 2 months, but only because I recently moved out and am furnishing my new place etc.
    Budget properly and you'll be fine. €25k for a grad job (in Customer Services) is decent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

FlyingD i would stick with the job,25,000 euro is better than the 188 a week on the dole,if you have a family though you might want to rethink it,but i would go for it as it is work experience on the CV also..

Cina wrote: »
    It's not an excellent salary if you look at what Dublin costs to live in.
    I'm living in one of the most expensive parts of Dublin (renting) which is a rip off but still. If a person earns 25k without loans and still can't manage to be comfortable then they're just terrible with their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

If you cant manage on that wage then you need to seek some serious financial/household budget lessons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

You can live on it.

I am trying to live on it, but also trying to run a car as well. That's not exactly doable - I am in debt, have f*ck all social life, and haven't had a holiday in years. But that's my choice, because I have the car. Getting rid of it soon though.
    MrMatisse wrote: »
    To those who think that is a low salary, try 22k starting salary in 2006 when a 1 bed cost 1200 pm to rent and prices were sky high!

To be fair, having a one-bed apartment is a massive luxury!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

25,000 is plenty to live on, you have to look at your overheads though. If you are trying to pay a large mortgage, have kids and commuting a long distance to work then it obviously is probably not enough. I am single, own my home with no mortgage and it would be more than plenty to live on. People need to wake up and forget about their massive mortgages and illusions of celtic tiger grandeur. This may be a bad recession but it is one of the best things to ever happen to this country as it is teaching an entire new generation the real value of money and put alot of egotistical people back down to earth and in their place. I have no debt and I work efficently and save around 10k - 15k a year after my frugal expenses. I spend around 1-2 months abroad living cheaply like a king. My secret I know the value of money, don't squander it on thrash and don't drink or smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

no I wouldn't call it a good salary tbh unless it's for an entry level job which doesnt require very much qualifications. However I am more than aware that it's all that people who are highly qualified get these days starting out. But you can certainly live on it, if I can manage on JSA while having to pay rent, bills, food etc out of that without any rent allowance or other benefits, then anyone can.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

No.

It's ****.

Passes it to the foreigner.

Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

VEN wrote: »

No.

It's ****.

Passes it to the foreigner.

Sorted.

The op is not Irish. I am shocked that people think a single person would struggle to survive on this money, there are families living on less and managing to pay mortgages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Its a good starting salary. When, I started working full time after college, that is what I started on.

Advertisement