Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is EUR. 25 000 per annum a good salary?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ancientoracle

If yr careful, you can live quite good on 25k. I've done it, and I have 2 kids and a mortgage. The thing to tell yrself, is that this is a starting salary.

Work hard, stand out, and in time yr salary will rise.

• What on earth did some of you people start on if you think 25K is awful or 'just OK?? I think 25K is very good for a first job. If you can't manage on that, you're just terrible with money or have some sort of money draining addiction like smoking or drugs.

Not saying it's a lot of money in Dublin, but I earned about that in 2008 when rip off Ireland was in full swing and had a good lifestyle and saved quite a lot. I had a nice, big ensuite room in a nice area in Dublin 4, walking distance from town for 550 EUR. Could have found something much cheaper, but was willing to pay for convenience. I'm sure the same room would be cheaper now. Living costs including bills, bus/DART fares (I walked a lot because I was close to town) and groceries came in at under 250 E, leaving me another 200 to spend on whatever I wanted (usually the pub, another expensive choice, or the cinema) and still put 600 or 700 aside every month. That year, I managed to go on holiday abroad 4 or 5 times. I look back and think about how rich I felt back then. Never really had to go without anything tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

There are people who are unemployed on the social, with rent allowance, child benefit and medical card who get about the same if not more. I'm on around that after tax and it's not enough to live on if you live in Dublin. I struggle to make ends meet on that, with no social life or any holidays and it's very hard.
    wtf, i manage not to struggle too much on 16,000 in dublin with no benefits. 25,000 after tax,great wage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Caseywhale wrote: »
    It might be enough to get by on, but its still a **** wage, unless, as Roy Keane says, you are happy at the bottom.

Employers are making sure not to waste this recession, thats for sure

Everyone starts at the bottom, that's why it's called an entry level job.;)

Sea Filly, one more question for you, where in Ireland have your jobs been - Dublin/Galway/Cork/etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I get 24k per annum, have a one bed apartment close to Dublin City Center, small loan, a certain amount of money outgoing every month into savings, bills, memberships etc and still have plenty to live on. I won't be going on any Holidays (saving for other reasons) but I live comfortably. OP you'll be grand with 25k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Daisy M wrote: »
    The op is not Irish. I am shocked that people think a single person would struggle to survive on this money, there are families living on less and managing to pay mortgages.

Me too. It just goes to show the bubble some people still seem to be living in. That's why i think there should be some sort of finance management class should be taught in schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Take the job!!

I have been in a job 2 years and am on 21000 gross. Its a pain in the hole getting considerable less than everyone else in here but yet showing the most skills and flexibility!

Demoralising

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I think its terrible money, but then again I blow loads of my money on boozing and fuel (really only an issue for people outside dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If anyone's interested in a bit of theory, what we're seeing here is a process of internal devaluation. If Ireland still had the Punt, it would have lost value against other, stronger currencies. However, Ireland can't devalue its Euro against the German or French Euro, so the cost of everything inside Ireland has to come down. That includes salaries, but it also includes rents, which is a problem if you're a buy-to-rent landlord with a mortgage for more than the house is worth. On aggregate, since tenants are earning less, landlords have to charge less or risk empty properties.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What on earth did some of you people start on if you think 25K is awful or 'just OK?? I think 25K is very good for a first job. If you can't manage on that...

Well in fairness there's a difference between "it's only ok" and "I would have trouble managing on that". I think it's ok to start off on, but that has no reflection on my money management skills

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

ghogie91 wrote: »
    Take the job!!

I have been in a job 2 years and am on 21000 gross. Its a pain in the hole getting considerable less than everyone else in here but yet showing the most skills and flexibility!

Demoralising

20k gross right here.

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Sea Filly, one more question for you, where in Ireland have your jobs been - Dublin/Galway/Cork/etc?

First was in the UK, 21150stg per annum, my current one is in Cork city. But it's a public sector payscale and would be the same were the job in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I'd jump straight at that chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

25k is fine for an entry level job. What are the other details though? How long is probation, you should expect after probation to get a pay raise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Sea Filly wrote: »
    First was in the UK, 21150stg per annum, my current one is in Cork city. But it's a public sector payscale and would be the same were the job in Dublin.

I see.

Did you have to emigrate to get your foot in the door?

And is your qualification a masters/PhD/bachelors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Just take the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

FlyingD wrote: »
    Hi just been offered EUR 25.000,- Gross per annum.
    Is this a descent salary?

That all depends on your level of experience/qualification and living circumstances it wouldn't let me eat and pay my mortgage

Red_Wake wrote: »
    I see.

Did you have to emigrate to get your foot in the door?

And is your qualification a masters/PhD/bachelors?

Yes. And Bachelors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Sea Filly wrote: »
    20k gross right here.

Sea Filly, it sucks balls haha big big balls

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭bongomad

just got offered a job today company van 25k from a company in the north i will be working in the south, didnt think to ask was that before tax? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

bongomad wrote: »
    just got offered a job today company van 25k from a company in the north i will be working in the south, didnt think to ask was that before tax? :o

Yes, it is before tax. The employer would be foolish to quote after tax because they don't know your tax affairs atm.
    plus it looks bad if they quote 18,000 and everyone else quote 25000.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

You wont be living the high life off €25k but if your a single person I think it is sufficent to have a decent living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

You'd be a fool to turn this down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Old thread but is 25k a year still good now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

5star02707 wrote: »
    Old thread but is 25k a year still good now?

There has not been much salary inflation but there has been price inflation and rent inflation and tax inflation.
    So I would say the answer is not as positive as it was in 2012!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

I was thinking the same Rent now is terrible than 2012 :( 600-900 for 1 bedroom. Still could live by but with less savings i guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

It's not enough to buy a house or raise kids but it's an entry level job. Normally you wouldn't be expected to stay on entry level wages forever.

Most people (myself included) started off on similar or worse wages. You rent a room, or live at home, don't spend much on luxuries and study. After a period of time your wages improves (pay rises, moving on to new jobs as your experience improves).

I think some people expect to be able to support a couple of kids and have a house on an entry level job these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

FlyingD wrote: »
    Hi just been offered EUR 25.000,- Gross per annum.
    Is this a descent salary?

It totally depends on what you will be doing and if it meets your outgoing expenses.

If you are flipping burgers and are 18 years old with no overheads its an amazing salary.
    If you're 40 with 5 kids, a mortgage and a gambling issue then no its not a good salary. ! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

If you're asking the question, I'd reckon you must be in the position where it is a good salary, or more than you're currently on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

About €35,000 seems to be middle of the road when it comes to salary.

Obviously it depends on what you are working at, your experience etc. etc.

Advertisement