Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is EUR. 25 000 per annum a good salary?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

€25k is very firmly in house sharing territory if you're in the Pale. If you're a person on their own, you can forget living on your own @ €25k.

As said above, what constitutes a good or liveable salary really depends on your current state. People tend to cut their cloth to fit, so if you're used to living on €20k, then €25k will seem like party time. If you're used to €40k, then a drop of 15k will feel like you're descending into poverty.

Since 2012, prices overall have gone down, so the cost of internet access, phone calls and your weekly shop won't have changed or will have dipped slightly. Rent has gone up badly though, which will hit anyone the hardest. You can cut down your groceries to save money, but you can't stop using one of your rooms to get cheaper rent.

To a certain extent if someone who currently lives in Dublin is asking whether €25k is a good salary, then it probably is...for them.

In the OP's case, I expect he's probably doing much better for himself at this point, but the bonus about PayPal is its location. You can get a 2-bed apartment to yourself in Dunshaughlin for €900/month. Still a bit steep on €25k, but if you were willing to go another ten minutes out (to somewhere like Trim), you can get it cheaper again. Or you could share with someone without being on top of eachother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

5star02707 wrote: »
    Old thread but is 25k a year still good now?

You would get by on it but you wouldn't have much of a social life on €25K if you live in Dublin city centre, for example. If you have a family then I think that it would be very hard to make ends meet on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I'm on around that after tax and it's not enough to live on if you live in Dublin. I struggle to make ends meet on that, with no social life or any holidays and it's very hard.

??? you have over 2k a months and you cant live on it? what the hell are you doing with your money if you dont mind me asking!?

i assume you have children, loans, smoke, have a car etc etc and your rent is something crazy, above 700/800?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

??? you have over 2k a months and you cant live on it? what the hell are you doing with your money if you dont mind me asking!?

i assume you have children, loans, smoke, have a car etc etc and your rent is something crazy, above 700/800?

Captain chaos posted that 3 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

My sister just started with Paypal this week on 21k , your extra 4k is coming from your extra language experience.

She thinks it's enough to live on and she rents in a house share at €300 per month + bills.

You'll be grand on 25k it's a good starting salary. I lived on that for a good few years and 20k for a good few as well back in 2006 when I was single and house sharing myself, with a family and a mortgage you'll need more but that's not a conern for you right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I was on 36k up until Feb and that was ok to get by on, after being made redundant I'm back working again and on 22k, but with no responsibility (don't even have to answer the phone)
    It all comes down to responsibilities in and out of work, if you have kids etc then 25k won't see you far. If they are expecting a lot from you in the job 25k may not seem worthwhile.

25k works out at about 13 euros an hour, which is pretty low. If you're single and living at home or in a share it's fine, but if you have other financial commitments it would take serious budgeting to make ends meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

I'm on ~£30k GBP and it's tough enough between paying a mortgage, house insurance, rates, electric, oil, car insurance, diesel, Sky, phone, - I could double that list.
    I wouldn't even like to start to think about those prices in Dublin...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

If it's a foot in the door to get you more if you can prove yourself then fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Difficult, you would be taking about no holidays, no premium tv, etc,

When you take rent/mortgage, fuel, electric, phone, water/property tax, clothes, food, etc.

It's not a lot to live on, but a starting point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Reoil wrote: »
    I'm on ~£30k GBP and it's tough enough between paying a mortgage, house insurance, rates, electric, oil, car insurance, diesel, Sky, phone, - I could double that list.
    I wouldn't even like to start to think about those prices in Dublin...

This is what scares me the most about making the move from Oz back to Ireland/UK. Cost of living is through the roof between food, utilities, insurance and the rest you have mentioned but still, wages are low.

Im only in a casual position here in Perth that I have zero experience in and I'm saving around 400 euros a week (I read in the Irish Indo that Oz has the second highest disposable income behind the US) So many Low skilled jobs that pay $$$ and that's in the cities. In rural areas/mines the money is astronomical.

Cant imagine working away like a dog and only barely scraping by!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Timistry wrote: »
    This is what scares me the most about making the move from Oz back to Ireland/UK. Cost of living is through the roof between food, utilities, insurance and the rest you have mentioned but still, wages are low.

Im only in a casual position here in Perth that I have zero experience in and I'm saving around 400 euros a week (I read in the Irish Indo that Oz has the second highest disposable income behind the US) So many Low skilled jobs that pay $$$ and that's in the cities. In rural areas/mines the money is astronomical.

Cant imagine working away like a dog and only barely scraping by!

I hear you! I'm in the US making good money and not paying too much in taxes realtive to my pay. I really want to move back but I'm trying to figure out when I'll do it...it seems like there'll never be a good time. I'll have too much angst about leaving so much money on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

3 years later I wonder if the OP hasn't had a raise whilst we've been talking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I hear you! I'm in the US making good money and not paying too much in taxes realtive to my pay. I really want to move back but I'm trying to figure out when I'll do it...it seems like there'll never be a good time. I'll have too much angst about leaving so much money on the table.

I have never paid more than 30% in tax and that entitles me to free GP visits and a multitude of other things. In Ireland you can pay 50% tax but you are entitled to f all at the end of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I have never paid more than 30% in tax and that entitles me to free GP visits and a multitude of other things. In Ireland you can pay 50% tax but you are entitled to f all at the end of the day

50% tax isn't accurate.

The Irish and Australian income tax systems aren't a million miles apart.
    They both have a similar tax free threshold but the one in Oz is more equitable in the sense that it has more progressive tax bands.

As a rough example:
    If you earning 50k here, you're taking home about 35k. So you're paying ~ 30% on your total income at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭satguy

Tell PayPay that you don't want the €25,000K, and that you will work for free if they just say you are the new office intern ..

You will get your JSA + rent + medical card + back to school allowance, and some really nice dentist will pull out one of your teeth every year as an emergency. AND the €50 per week top up..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I prefer the Irish system. I'd prefer if we all paid more in tax here to give others more benefits. BUT for now I'll enjoy the wealth, save my pennies and then hopefully get back to Ireland in a better position than the one I left when I emigrated.

It's strange but I'm paying less for Health Insurance here than I did in Ireland and I'm getting more from it. My Co-pay's for Doctors visit, Anti-biotics for $12, A complete medical once a year for free.

But what those who don't have good insurnace have to pay here is awful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭satguy

satguy wrote: »
    Tell PayPay that you don't want the €25,000K, and that you will work for free if they just say you are the new office intern ..

You will get your JSA + rent + medical card + back to school allowance, and some really nice dentist will pull out one of your teeth every year as an emergency. AND the €50 per week top up..

If you keep your head down and play your cards right,, your head could be completely toothless in 30 years..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Sykk wrote: »
    Unless you borrowed beyond your means and have a crazy load to pay back, I can't imagine how you're possibly struggling. I'm on similar wages to you and I can afford to save around 800 quid a month after paying bills/food, socializing, taking the girlfriend out to restaurants and going out regularly.

Do you live with Mammy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

There are people who are unemployed on the social, with rent allowance, child benefit and medical card who get about the same if not more. I'm on around that after tax and it's not enough to live on if you live in Dublin. I struggle to make ends meet on that, with no social life or any holidays and it's very hard.

Umm... the dole is less than 10,000 a year...:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Greyian

Umm... the dole is less than 10,000 a year...:confused:

Rent allowance can be worth €350/month for a single person, all the way up to €1000/month for a parent with 3 children.
    Add a medical card, as well as increases for each qualifying child. That can add up to ~€400/week, on top of the €188 standard dole. Close to €600/week, without working. How much would a single person, with 3 kids, have to earn gross, to have a net income of €30,000+/year?

Edit: I should clarify, though, that I think some of the people complaining about it being very hard to live on €25,000/year in Dublin are exaggerating, or else just aren't great with money. When I was on that salary, I was driving quite a nice car, eating good food and saving ~€500/month.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes. Certainly yes.
    If a person is on the minimum wage of €8.65 euro an hour. He/She will make €346 euro per week before tax. Thats €17,992 a year.

25k roughly works out at €470 a week before tax. If anyone thinks its not decent they need a reality check.

For a 22-25 year old with no mortgage/family, it's a reasonable starting salary.

But, in a general sense, across all workers, it's not a decent wage.

The 50% is a marginal tax rate on extra income, not the average tax rate on all income.

Dublin rents are a killer.

Average earnings in Ireland in 2015 are 700 pw, or 36,000 pa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Geuze wrote: »
    Dublin rents are a killer.

Average earnings in Ireland in 2015 are 700 pw, or 36,000 pa.

Do people actually earn that on average? :confused: or are people earning 150k plus distorting figures. I've a job with a lot of responsibilities, 1 yrs experience since college, i'm working a 45 hr week, and i'm not earning near that. Dont live in Dublin though but if I did I'd only earn 2k more. Still not near 36k at that. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Greyian

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Do people actually earn that on average? :confused: or are people earning 150k plus distorting figures. I've a job with a lot of responsibilities, 1 yrs experience since college, i'm working a 45 hr week, and i'm not earning near that. Dont live in Dublin though but if I did I'd only earn 2k more. Still not near 36k at that. :confused:

The median is probably a few thousand lower (it's very hard to find reliable sources for the median though, they are often by household, or else include the unemployed, which would lower it greatly).

Unless that was a typo though, if you have 1 year of experience since college, that's would still be regarded as fairly inexperienced. The average worker is going to be in their 40s, with up to 20 years of experience. 1 year is very low end, and as a result, you'd be on lower than average wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

OP, everyone has to start somewhere.
    Unless you did actuary or something like it in college then 25K as a starter real job is OK. In a few years if you work hard you will get promoted, get pay increases, move on to better things, that's how it works.
    Go for it and best of luck, one day in the future you will be look back at now with a smile (if you took the chance) :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Greyian wrote: »
    The median is probably a few thousand lower (it's very hard to find reliable sources for the median though, they are often by household, or else include the unemployed, which would lower it greatly).

Unless that was a typo though, if you have 1 year of experience since college, that's would still be regarded as fairly inexperienced. The average worker is going to be in their 40s, with up to 20 years of experience. 1 year is very low end, and as a result, you'd be on lower than average wages.

Makes a lot of sense, thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

Would that be more or are you joking. Why only one tooth? What if you break two teeth in a fall or something. If you have a medical card surely getting a tooth pulled is not a luxury. I doubt anyone would get their teeth pulled out willy nilly because it is free.
    satguy wrote: »

• Advertisement

It's acceptable money for a first job out of college type position in your early to mid 20's but a poor salary once you get a bit of experience and push into your late 20's and beyond.

Advertisement