Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty LAN Port?

Options
  • 18-06-2012 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

Well lads, got a new PC here a few months thanks to Monotype and input from other users. Ordered from hardwaresd the german site.

I have had intermittent internet problems since I started using my PC.
    Tried another router from my sibling, tried a static IP, eircom even suggested lowering the speed from 7mb to 6mb to see if it was a problem with my dsl line dropping out due to a higher speed.
    Anyway I am convinced it is a problem with the PC now, I formatted it a few days ago but still have the intermittent drop out, the thing is when I try to surf the net, it might work then on next page it will say cannot access the page etc.
    Note at the same time, the wifi on laptops works fine, so the problem is only with the PC.

The problem I am having is: sometimes when I try and surf and it will say it cant access internet, what I usually do is just restart the modem and it usually works.

Sometimes after I restart the modem, it will show a balloon on right bottom corner saying "additional log on may be required warning" with a red internet light on the modem, once i click this balloon its fine and internet works and light turns green.
    a few days ago when I tried to do repair this showed up.
    http://i.imgur.com/Ogl33.jpg

Heres pic of inside of PC
    http://i.imgur.com/xfJn0.jpg

The lan port or whatever you call it is the silver box with yellow strip on it, to the bottom left of the intel fan.
    Can this be taken off, or is it apart of the motherboard?
    Do you guys think I should get a network card or what do you think is the problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

go do the command prompt type ipconfig /all and post a screen shot for us

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Crosáidí wrote: »
    go do the command prompt type ipconfig /all and post a screen shot for us

http://i.imgur.com/jDjHp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

I think you have a problem with your DNS settings
    Set it to obtain a DNS server automatically in your network adapter settings or use googles public dns 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

If you want to check if your network adaptor is working in the command prompt type

ping 127.0.0.1, you should get 3 replies. this will test your adaptor and TCP/IP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I doubt it's a DNS problem as the other machines have no problem and you know it's working some of the time.

Have you tried different cables?

You can't remove the lan port part of the motherboard (easily).
    Network cards aren't prohibitively expensive, so you could add in one it if it's faulty.

I think I told you to check the drivers before? You could get the latest ones online and uninstall the ones you have to make sure it's using the right ones. You can uninstall them from the device manager. Start menu -> Right click on computer -> Properties -> Device manager on the upper left of the windows. Then right click on the network device that you want to uninstall.

I have a network situation on a system that's annoying me as well. I've tried everything but I think Windows itself must have got corrupted somehow. So next step is a reinstall. Hopefully you won't need to go to that trouble.

Edit: Actually, maybe it might be no harm to set your DNS servers as Crosáidí says.
    Eircom's DNS servers are:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74414919&postcount=11

Crosáidí wrote: »

If you want to check if your network adaptor is working in the command prompt type

ping 127.0.0.1, you should get 3 replies. this will test your adaptor and TCP/IP

Thanks I just tried that, it said sent 4 packets and recieved 4, 0% loss.

Monotype wrote: »
    I doubt it's a DNS problem as the other machines have no problem and you know it's working some of the time.

Have you tried different cables?

You can't remove the lan port part of the motherboard (easily).
    Network cards aren't prohibitively expensive, so you could add in one it if it's faulty.

I think I told you to check the drivers before? You could get the latest ones online and uninstall the ones you have to make sure it's using the right ones. You can uninstall them from the device manager. Start menu -> Right click on computer -> Properties -> Device manager on the upper left of the windows. Then right click on the network device that you want to uninstall.

I have a network situation on a system that's annoying me as well. I've tried everything but I think Windows itself must have got corrupted somehow. So next step is a reinstall. Hopefully you won't need to go to that trouble.

Edit: Actually, maybe it might be no harm to set your DNS servers as Crosáidí says.
    Eircom's DNS servers are:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74414919&postcount=11

I cant recall now if I used different cables, il try it again though, good idea thanks.

I did install the new driver that time but had no luck, but now that you mention about uninstalling, I don't think I did that. I think I just installed the new one without uninstalling the other one. Il do it properly this time.

I already did a reinstall of windows a few days ago, but still have this problem.

Ok so under what setting in network adapter setting do I change the DNS?

• Advertisement

209420.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Click Win Logo => Type CMD

Then type the below

ECHO Start >> error.log
    IPCONFIG /ALL >> error.log
    ARP -A >> error.log
    ARP -A -V >> error.log
    NSLOOKUP -OPT Google.ie >> error.log
    TRACERT Google.ie >> error.log
    TRACERT 8.8.8.8 >> error.log

ECHO Clear >> error.log
    ARP -D >> error.log
    IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS >> error.log
    IPCONFIG /RELEASE >> error.log
    IPCONFIG /RENEW >> error.log

ECHO Renew >> error.log
    IPCONFIG /ALL >> error.log
    ARP -A >> error.log
    NSLOOKUP -OPT Google.ie >> error.log
    TRACERT Google.ie >> error.log
    TRACERT 8.8.8.8 >> error.log

And post the error.log file here.

209420.png

Thanks , changed the ethernet cable this morning but still cuts out now and again, next port of call is to update the driver, and if that fails, il change dns.

Click Win Logo => Type CMD

And post the error.log file here.

Ok here it is
    error.txt.log - 15.8 Kb

The end is missing. Did everything run okay in the last two?

Only thing I notice is that the times are bit high, particularly in some places but kind of poor overall. That could be just eircom's fault though.

The end is missing. Did everything run okay in the last two?

Only thing I notice is that the times are bit high, particularly in some places but kind of poor overall. That could be just eircom's fault though.

I didn't look at the other 2 I did, I posted that 1 because at the time the internet was playing up so I thought it would be best one to post.

It looks like I didn't wait for it to complete.
    Heres another one, in full .

error.log - 10.0 Kb

P.S I unistalled the Lan driver and downloaded the updated one, so far so good, haven't had any downtime yet fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

I don't spot anything unusual there.

If you still get problems and other people don't you could also try connecting to a different port on your router.

I don't spot anything unusual there.

If you still get problems and other people don't you could also try connecting to a different port on your router.

Well the problem seems to have been resolved since I unistalled the lan driver and installed the newer one, no downtime to speak of. :)
    Thanks for the tip.

Advertisement