Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interview Clothes Help

• 18-06-2012 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭sallywin

Hey all!

Am in need of advice! I've been reading about what's best to wear to interviews and general consensus seems to be to wear something smart and conservative. I went round oasis, warehouse, sisley, mango, topshop, river island, and I still can't find a nice trouser suit. I'd like to go with black but the nicest I have come across so far is suit in Oasis but only avail in light grey and not a great colour for me.

Has anyone seen anything somewhere else (Dublin) that might suit? I'm size 8, average height, and brunette. Would really appreciate your help as I want to give myself the best chance possible and this is at least something I can definitely get right. I still have to try in Zara and H&M.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Zara's normally a reasonable bet as is Debenhams or M&S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭sallywin

Cheers for that, hadn't thought of M&S, not on my radar normally! Will have a look there too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Next is good for suits.

Next is my favourite for suits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Dunnes have lovely work clothes - trousers and jackets to mix and match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Next or Marks and Spencers are normally good for interview clothes. I picked up a nice suit in Wallis a while back. Dorothy Perkins is worth a look too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Had the same problem myself a couple of weeks back. Bought a trousers in M&S, jacket and top in H&M, and a skirt in Zara just in case. Mine isn't a suit type business so I didn't want something too formal. It was all in black except the shoes and top.

Tried a couple of nice suits in Next today but the trousers were really hipstery/baggy and did nothing for me but otherwise I can see how it could be a great place to find suits definitely. I didn't go into M&S though so I have at least there to check out still.

The job I'm going for wouldn't be one I'd need to wear suits in either but for the sake of the interview I just wanted to suit up if possible. Might go for smart trousers, top, etc. if I have to.

Actually, what would you recommend to put with nude trousers? There is a gorgeous pair in Zara which were a really nice fit. They had a nice beige top hanging up beside them. Could I wear that with a black jacket, or would it all be too casual?

sallywin wrote: »
    Tried a couple of nice suits in Next today but the trousers were really hipstery/baggy and did nothing for me but otherwise I can see how it could be a great place to find suits definitely. I didn't go into M&S though so I have at least there to check out still.

some of the suit trousers are baggy, which also doesn't suit me, but some are nicely fitted
    if you wear light trousers i'd be inclined to a black top
    i can't see nude trousers + formal though

bluewolf wrote: »
    some of the suit trousers are baggy, which also doesn't suit me, but some are nicely fitted
    if you wear light trousers i'd be inclined to a black top
    i can't see nude trousers + formal though

Damn I was hoping the nude would work but you're right. Let's see how tomorrow goes anyway.

Another question, how would a matching waistcoat (and shirt)look with trousers instead of jacket and trousers?

• Advertisement

Got to M&S this evening, they have one nice black suit that is a nice fit and cut but the material is cottony and I'm afraid it might come across as a cheap suit, even though it's not?

My other option is a nice dressy peach top with navy trousers. How would that sound? Do I need a jacket, and should I stick with a suit? So tempted to go with top and trousers! Very little choice in the shops with the time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I really think a suit is the best option. It is better to be over-dressed than under dressed. Would you be likely to wear a suit once you got the job? Do you think the interviewer will be wearing a suit? I think it should look like you have made an effort and a top and trousers could look a little casual.

I think the M&S one sounds promising, I suppose do you personally like it?

Pythia wrote: »
    I really think a suit is the best option. It is better to be over-dressed than under dressed. Would you be likely to wear a suit once you got the job? Do you think the interviewer will be wearing a suit? I think it should look like you have made an effort and a top and trousers could look a little casual.

I think the M&S one sounds promising, I suppose do you personally like it?

It's the best so far, and that's the best I can say about it! I'm going to check in Ted Baker tomorrow, they might have something nice on sale.
    Yeah I'd imagine the interviewer will be dressed quite smartly, it's for a job in the creative arena and looking professional in a suit is the best strategy. I'll stick with it :) Have some more time anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

What about a dress and jacket ? Dunnes, M&S and Dorothy Perkins have some nice co-ordinating dresses and jackets. Hopefully you get the job and you could wear the dress again with a little cardi. The jacket can be worn with other trousers/skirts or with jeans at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

What about a dress and jacket ? Dunnes, M&S and Dorothy Perkins have some nice co-ordinating dresses and jackets. Hopefully you get the job and you could wear the dress again with a little cardi. The jacket can be worn with other trousers/skirts or with jeans at the weekend.

http://www.marksandspencer.ie/Square-Neck-Contrast-Panel-Shift-Dress/Parent_T592803D,en_IE,pd.html?dwvar_Parent__T592803D_color=Y4&start=29&cgid=1002181

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

It's the best so far, and that's the best I can say about it! I'm going to check in Ted Baker tomorrow, they might have something nice on sale.
    Yeah I'd imagine the interviewer will be dressed quite smartly, it's for a job in the creative arena and looking professional in a suit is the best strategy. I'll stick with it :) Have some more time anyway.

Interviews in the summer are a nightmare! I remember from a few years ago myself. Next winter, grab a nice suit in the sales so you will have something for the future. Even if you have a job, you never know when you need it - internal promotion, big presentation, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Now I want to know where you're going for a job... But good luck with it anyway!

Hey can't say where the job is you know yourself. Maybe after if I don't get it I'll be able to say!

Anyway thanks a mil for all the help. I don't really wear dresses except for quite short on night out, or long, as in wedding style, etc. and wouldn't feel comfortable in one for an interview. It's just me, they can look really professional on some people. I've been looking at pencil skirts though and still can't get a good black combo.

If all else fails I have the M&S one to fall back on. I'll report back tonight. Got my hair and hair colour done and getting help with doing my nails so I'm making progress.

Hey just to say that I got sorted today in Ted Baker of all places. Got a last of line black suit which I'm really happy with, it's a gorgeous fit, and they have a good sale on at the mo.

Thanks so much to everyone who helped. Really really appreciate it!

Advertisement