Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comedy Empire

• 18-06-2012 11:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭

Just switch on Jason Bryne was on my God was that bad.
    Is he really a Comedian.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Your man from corporation street?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Many Irish comedians fall into the shouting drunk type. If I want to see that, then I'll just go to a pub for free some Saturday night round 11pm in any town in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Hootanany wrote: »
    Is he really a Comedian.

How drunk are you right now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Comedy is much the same as anything else in Ireland. If you're any good at it and can shill it elsewhere, you will, because you want money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Is he really a Comedian.

He's brutal!!! Hate the guy. Gives Irish comedians a bad name!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Plus one on my iPhone spellchecker feckin up but that was cringeworthy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

ah now thats uncalled for, most of them are well capable of giving themselves a bad name

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Wait a second!!

*grabs Jason Byrne's "jokes"*

These are fake jokes!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Why is he (and bloody Tiernan) on ridiculously popular shows like Live At The Apollo and Dylan Moran's on fuck all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Is he really a Comedian.
    No..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

brummytom wrote: »
    Why is he (and bloody Tiernan) on ridiculously popular shows like Live At The Apollo and Dylan Moran's on fuck all?

The Apollo is pretty much the stomping ground of bad comics, Mcintyre, so on. Moran prefers to be silently hilarious and then play sell-out shows when he has enough material worth telling, as opposed to screaming crap at an audience that confuses volume with humour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

The guy just doesnt seem to have the ability to determine what might work and what might not so he just throws everything out there, all at once. Occasionally something works and he gets a laugh.
    This seems to encourage him.
    Its cringeworthy to watch the process in action though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭amacca

Is he really a Comedian.

If a comedian tells fuuny jokes etc and can make an audience laugh...then no...no he is not

Empirically speaking he is a grown man with severe yet undiagnosed ADHD who just might be beyond the help of any conventional therapy

I would suggest threatening him at gunpoint if he appears in any comedy routine ever again as an unconventional approach to this problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Just because comedy central will play a show over and over and over and over again, doesn't mean that the shows are ridiculously popular, it just means Comedy Central are tight fuckers :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

can't stand him, a surefire sign of a sh1te comedian is one who picks on the audience for laughs instead of being able to write funny material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭boo3000

Personally i think 99% of comedy is ****e, i used to work at a comedy venue and if you haven't paid to be there it's a completely different vibe.

Most of what the comedians come out with, if your friends said it down the pub wouldn't raise a giggle, yet if you've got dressed up, paid for the tickets, bought the drinks you'll laugh at anything halfway amusing. There's a psychology to it.

There's some greats but I think most of them are very average and just have the neck to get up and do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

I was just going to ask about this Comedy Empire thing...then realised I'm watching it :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I'm watching it now, and Byrne isn't the worst on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

boo3000 wrote: »
    There's some greats but I think most of them are very average and just have the neck to get up and do it.

I think that sums it all up for me. Probably lots of very funny people that I'd love to watch, but they'll never take to the stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

because dylan moran is both a legend and a feckin ejjitt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

longshanks wrote: »
    I'm watching it now, and Byrne isn't the worst on it.

Yes he was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Note to Jason Byrne: shouting stuff does not = comedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

boo3000 wrote: »
    Personally i think 99% of comedy is ****e, i used to work at a comedy venue and if you haven't paid to be there it's a completely different vibe.

Most of what the comedians come out with, if your friends said it down the pub wouldn't raise a giggle, yet if you've got dressed up, paid for the tickets, bought the drinks you'll laugh at anything halfway amusing. There's a psychology to it.

I like comedy, but I've often thought that's how people enjoy ****e comedians gigs. The fact that you're slowly getting more drunk and laughing is infectious,so something gets a smile, then something equally as funny gets a chuckle,especially when there's a crowd of people laughing together. Tell a joke in isolation the next day it won't get the same response.

Something that did get a chuckle from me was Jason Byrne being described as being as funny as 9/11 on the phantom board here. I doubt that review will grace the back of his next dvd case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Jason Byrne, Ed Byrne, Tommy Tiernan... The 3 most unfunny comedians I've ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

in general i dont like irish comedians. Dara o Briain is pretty good, dylan moran and ardal o hanlon are pretty good aswell but in gerneral they dont come close to the british comedians. Jack Dee, jimmy carr, kevin bridges etc are in a different league. but obviously thats a matter of opinion and difference in sense of humour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Real Life wrote: »
    in general i dont like irish comedians. Dara o Briain is pretty good, dylan moran and ardal o hanlon are pretty good aswell but in gerneral they dont come close to the british comedians. Jack Dee, jimmy carr, kevin bridges etc are in a different league. but obviously thats a matter of opinion and difference in sense of humour

Still uses his Irish passport!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Comedy is much the same as anything else in Ireland. If you're any good at it and can shill it elsewhere, you will, because you want money. and do well,then a small minority of people will say you are ****e and begrudge you anything close to success

fixed that...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Here's something to rile you all up:

http://www.angrianan.com/list/2012/jasonbyrne.html
    In August it was confirmed that Jason Byrne has sold more tickets at the Edinburgh Fringe than anyone else in the festival's 54-year history! Since his first proper show at the Fringe in 1997, Jason Byrne has sold an incredible 162,000 tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭boo3000

For the record, im not begrudging against Irish comedians per se, i don't think they're particularly any more or less ****e than most other comedians of any nationality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Rothmans wrote: »
    Just because comedy central will play a show over and over and over and over again, doesn't mean that the shows are ridiculously popular, it just means Comedy Central are tight fuckers :P

In fairness, Live at the Apollo is BBC 1 prime time. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to call it popular.

Advertisement