Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting training goals

Options
  • 18-06-2012 11:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭

Guys, complete newbie just getting started here. I always work better when I've goals or challenges to complete. Targets my training much better I find. The problem is, since I'm new to all this endurance lark, I've no idea what sort of goals to set.

With that, I'd love to hear some guidance on what's realistic.

First up is Gaelforce west in August, then Dublin Dares shortly after (mostly to abseil off The Aviva Stadium).

I want to get cracking on improving my swimming as soon as possible once I find the right place to train out of.

I half looked at the Ironman 70.3 in Mallorca but have no idea if I'd be an idiot to consider it since I've basically no real enduro background.

Apologies if this has been done before!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

The 70.3 in Mallorca is in early May?

There's plenty of time to train for that but if I were you I would be starting to look at doing a couple of shorter triathlons this year so it's not your first event and so you have a time goal in mind and a pace to work towards in training.

Last year was my first year in Tri and my initial goal was just to complete a sprint. Once that had been done then it was to complete an Olympic and then earlier this year a half. That gave me a base time for all the events I will compete in and I've now got times I want to beat this year and for the next two years based on where I want to get to. Mainly though my goals are all about getting faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

There's plenty of time to train for that but if I were you I would be starting to look at doing a couple of shorter triathlons this year so it's not your first event and so you have a time goal in mind and a pace to work towards in training.

Last year was my first year in Tri and my initial goal was just to complete a sprint. Once that had been done then it was to complete an Olympic and then earlier this year a half. That gave me a base time for all the events I will compete in and I've now got times I want to beat this year and for the next two years based on where I want to get to. Mainly though my goals are all about getting faster.

+1
    I think that is the way most people go in tri with regards goals
    1. complete a sprint
    2. sprint in x time
    3. complete olympic
    4. olympic in x time
    5. half iron
    etc etc
    plus any number of sub goals within that!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Sin é!!

I'd like to, buuuuuut I can't exactly swim. Well, I can, but no more than a length. I think it's purely technique related really so am looking to start lessons ASAP.

I might have a look and see if there's any sprint tris around late September I can take a crack off of.

I read a bit of your blog today - really interesting stuff. Well done on the journey so far!! :)
    longshank wrote: »
    +1
    I think that is the way most people go in tri with regards goals
    1. complete a sprint
    2. sprint in x time
    3. complete olympic
    4. olympic in x time
    5. half iron
    etc etc
    plus any number of sub goals within that!!!

Hmmmm ok, thanks! What's an ok time for a sprint? < 1hr 30m?

I guess I just like the idea of taking in a triathlon in one of my favourite holiday destinations!! Maybe I'm biting off too much too soon.

I should probably start trying to lose some weight too. There's no way carrying 90kg of muscle around is conductive to these goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Anyone can get around a HIM, in fact even an IM with a bit of preparation. If you want it bad enough you will be ready for Mallorca next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

Hanley wrote: »
    Sin é!!

Hmmmm ok, thanks! What's an ok time for a sprint? < 1hr 30m?

I guess I just like the idea of taking in a triathlon in one of my favourite holiday destinations!! Maybe I'm biting off too much too soon.

I should probably start trying to lose some weight too. There's no way carrying 90kg of muscle around is conductive to these goals.

I meant in terms of one goal at a time, could be sprint one year olympic the next....longest journey begins with a single step! When I decided to do my first sprint tri I couldn't swim...never imagined a few years later i would be doing ironmen races!! Just get started!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Hanley wrote: »
    Guys, complete newbie just getting started here. I always work better when I've goals or challenges to complete. Targets my training much better I find. The problem is, since I'm new to all this endurance lark, I've no idea what sort of goals to set.

With that, I'd love to hear some guidance on what's realistic.

First up is Gaelforce west in August, then Dublin Dares shortly after (mostly to abseil off The Aviva Stadium).

I want to get cracking on improving my swimming as soon as possible once I find the right place to train out of.

I half looked at the Ironman 70.3 in Mallorca but have no idea if I'd be an idiot to consider it since I've basically no real enduro background.

Apologies if this has been done before!!

These days people seem to be getting into tri and the first year doing a half and second year a full. Usually this type of person does not stay in the sport. Possibly because doing a half and full IM puts a huge load on your body, life and wallet and rushing head long into them really isn't as enjoyable.

You want to do a IM - have a five year plan
    You want to do a half - have a three year plan.

Ditch the HIM next year and do a series of sprints and maybe olympics. Learn to swim, then improve your swimming and then learn to cycle and run. Build a solid base.

Most people hear "base building for IM" and think the winter runs and rides before the summer race. And to a certain extent its true. However a true base is a multi-annual thing. Each year what you do is built on the back of the previous year.

Plus HIM and IM training put loads on the body that take time to adjust to. I know a few people that have "rushed into" IM training. They have gone from niggle, to injury to illness and back.

Take your time, do it right, do it enjoyably.

Or go the boards way and jump in and do a full marathon/IM in your first/second season and get upset when people remark "your time isn't that great" :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

tunney wrote: »
    These days people seem to be getting into tri and the first year doing a half and second year a full. Usually this type of person does not stay in the sport. Possibly because doing a half and full IM puts a huge load on your body, life and wallet and rushing head long into them really isn't as enjoyable.

You want to do a IM - have a five year plan
    You want to do a half - have a three year plan.

Ditch the HIM next year and do a series of sprints and maybe olympics. Learn to swim, then improve your swimming and then learn to cycle and run. Build a solid base.

Most people hear "base building for IM" and think the winter runs and rides before the summer race. And to a certain extent its true. However a true base is a multi-annual thing. Each year what you do is built on the back of the previous year.

Plus HIM and IM training put loads on the body that take time to adjust to. I know a few people that have "rushed into" IM training. They have gone from niggle, to injury to illness and back.

Take your time, do it right, do it enjoyably.

Or go the boards way and jump in and do a full marathon/IM in your first/second season and get upset when people remark "your time isn't that great" :)

Very interesting. Thanks for that. Maybe I'll set 'IM before 30' as the goal so (that gives me a little over 4 years).

Got The Beast back today and cycled him home (I refuse to call my bike a "her"). I'm disgracefully unfit when it comes to biking. Gonna go out for an hour long cycle now and see what happens. Will try to get out for a couple of times a week with like that and cycle more instead of driving for now while the weather's good.

I know there's a swimming club in the Markievicz most mornings, anyone know the name so I can find out more, and whether they're welcoming to newbies?!

I come from a relatively decent strength sport background so the concept of base is something I'd expect to be a multi year endeavor tbh. I've gone on many much more expletive ridden rants around people trying to skip steps or rush things in that area over on the health and fitness forum, so the patience is appreciated.

Thanks again!

Advertisement