Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic lights be the marian

Options
  • 18-06-2012 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭

Whats the story with them? They are off again, which is fecking brilliant. They where off a week or two ago aswell for a while and I thought it was brilliant. No traffic at all. Honestly I think the freeflow works alot better than the lights down there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

I think they turned them off because the Mercy school was off, and the traffic ran without a bother,then the exams were on and they put them back on again and it came to a gridlock,its because of safety and the green man so the children can use the green man to cross the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I love having them off. Have to be careful coming from the lower yellow road cause of visibility but overall it makes the junction so much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

its really amazing how littl trafic there is with the lights off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭rude awakening

This is prob a terrible idea but is there a way of putting a round-about in the cross section (dont think theres anyone in the corner house nor the former chimney shop anymore), and pedestrian/zebra lines at both cross's at the Mercy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I was going to start a thread about this when they were off the last time, but then they came back on. It's fantastic having them off.
    The only issue I can see if that with the lights off, so are the pedestrian crossings. If they rigged them up to just go red when someone needs to cross the road, and then off, that'd be great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

This is prob a terrible idea but is there a way of putting a round-about in the cross section (dont think theres anyone in the corner house nor the former chimney shop anymore), and pedestrian/zebra lines at both cross's at the Mercy?

I've always thought similar, but different :D They should make ozanam street one way up the hill and use the space of those two empty buildings and the lay by to square up the junction and have a standard cross roads with lights. The lights would work grand then like everywhere else cos its not 5 different things to consider. As you can see, this has been bothering me for a while!!:p

As is though, it's absolutely great when they are off. Long may it continue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mecco wrote: »
    I've always thought similar, but different :DThey should make ozanam street one way up the hill and use the space of those two empty buildings and the lay by to square up the junction and have a standard cross roads with lights. The lights would work grand then like everywhere else cos its not 5 different things to consider. As you can see, this has been bothering me for a while!!:p

As is though, it's absolutely great when they are off. Long may it continue!

That was my thought the last time I was sat there (it took three light changes to get about 15 cars through). There are times I'm happy I'm only a passenger these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

marlin vs wrote: »
    I think they turned them off because the Mercy school was off, and the traffic ran without a bother,then the exams were on and they put them back on again and it came to a gridlock,its because of safety and the green man so the children can use the green man to cross the road.

Good thinking actually. I think they should just close down the school. Its brilliant down there without them. There's a few places around that where better off without the traffic lights imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Back on now :(

Back on now :(

Ah crap, well thats just disgraceful :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

That whole bloody junction is a flippin nighmare:mad:.Coming from whatever side, one car is allowed through and then you are left sitting there for ages.Why cant they regulate the bloody traffic lights properly?

Best leave them off permanent or else put a roundabout there.I avoid that area if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

last time i was in the area they were off was great, they should really put a round about there i think

They were off again this morning! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I think they should just close down the school.

I take it this is a typo, right? You're not seriously advocating the closure of a school because of traffic congestion?

DaveJac wrote: »
    last time i was in the area they were off was great, they should really put a round about there i think

Definitely not. Roundabouts are great for cars, but awful for pedestrians. There are so many old people and young children crossing the road around there that it would just increase the hazard for them.

Sure the traffic congestion is a pain, but there are plenty of alternative routes around that area (Ballybricken, Congress Place, Gracedieu Road, Slievekeale etc.). I never get stuck at that junction because I simply avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

They were off again this morning! :D

And there was much rejoicing and smiling drivers!

If the city council are turning them off at every opportunity, then they are at least aware of it, so maybe they'll try something over the summer to deal with...hopefully something more than changing the sequence because I don't think most people are even aware it's a split junction.

IT'S A SPLIT JUNCTION!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

fricatus wrote: »
    ...Roundabouts are great for cars, but awful for pedestrians...

Especially when most people could not be bothered to use their F!*%ing indicators. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

They were on around 12.30 yesterday when I passed down, thankfully only 4 cars so got through in one set. Passed back that way at half 2 and they were off with a city council van parked opposite the Marion. Don't know if it is a problem with the lights or whether they are trialling turning them off / on at certain times of the day. Either way I think everyone agrees having them off is a whole lot better, drivers are actually courteous in a situation like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I think a round about would be perfect there, but a few artics do you it so they would have to be able to get past. What about flashing orange crossings like Ballybricken, I think they work fine.

fricatus wrote: »
    I take it this is a typo, right? You're not seriously advocating the closure of a school because of traffic congestion?

I was taking the piss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I was taking the piss.

LOL, well it's hard to tell sometimes on the internetz!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

I live close by and I have no problem when they are off as a drivers (it makes getting through easier)

But a pedestrian I think its an absolute nightmare, I have an 8 month old baby girl and trying to get across with a buggy is hell. I don't want to put my daughters life at risk, therefore I would suggest that they make a pelican cross like in ballybricken and give pedestrians the right of way.

This way both pedestrians and drivers get the best of both worlds....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Since those lights went in, I have consistently avoided this junction. I'll actually drive around it, rather than suffer the frustration of sitting there. Obviously the junction is fine for motorists with them off but, as has already been said, the lights are probably really there to serve pedestrians.

I wonder could they not have all the lights on flashing amber as a default and then have them all turn red every so often so pedestrians could cross at all points?

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

i've been loving them off so that fella can't annoy be in the car every day putting a begging note through the window

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Since those lights went in, I have consistently avoided this junction. I'll actually drive around it, rather than suffer the frustration of sitting there.

I'd say half the town is doing the same, judging by the amount of traffic up by Dominicks Place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

Cluster fook is the best way to describe these traffic lights when they're working. In the time that they were off it was just unreal how easy the traffic flow was. I used to dread coming to the junction and not using the side streets. Using the side streets would always cross my mind but stoopidly I always thought I wouldn't meet the same amount of traffic everytime...how wrong could I be?!?!?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

It is by far the jucntion I dread the most while driving in the city. When the lights are off its a dream...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

snuggles09 wrote: »
    i've been loving them off so that fella can't annoy be in the car every day putting a begging note through the window

More info please.

Advertisement