Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting fed up at work

Options
  • 18-06-2012 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am getting really fed up with work at the moment

Bit of background, after completing a Computer Science degree with a 2.1 I got a job in the UK with an investment bank (one of their sweat shops/near shore locations). When I started I was giving loads of development training before actually starting doing work. I have been there 15 months.

I do absolutely zero development and I am left doing all the work no else wants to do. I raise paper work for a change to go into the live environment (there is a lot when there is a big release going out), manage migration of hardware and make config changes. I have written one script and made two java changes that have since gone live.

I work pretty long hours + weekends as well and its all starting to get to me.

I have no career path, like I have no idea what type of jobs I can now apply for after this. Its not a java developer as ive forgotten how to program by now (also I never go home and read books on programming).

I cannot see were I am going with this job and when I try and think what else I can do nothing else springs to mind. I dont dread work or anything but I am getting seriously unmotivated doing my work, like today I have a list of tasks to complete (all easy enough stuff) and I just wasnt arsed doing any of it

Have my mid year review coming up and I very much doubt its going to be good.

Any advice?

Advertisement