Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the ad and the ego

• 19-06-2012 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭

I heard a bit about this on the radio a while back and thought I'd look it up, http://theadandtheego.com/, sounded interesting, has anyone actually seen it?
    'The Ad and the Ego' is a documentary film all about subliminal advertising and how advertising shapes our society and it's politics. (Yeah, sounds sexy doesn't it?)
    Here's the summary:

'Witty, slick, sexy and sarcastic, shameless and in your face, The Ad and the Ego takes on advertising on its own terms. By re-editing and restructuring thousands of contemporary and classic television commercials with insights by noted media critics, this rapid fire, multi-layered documentary exposes the destructive power of a mass media system out of control.

The Ad and the Ego traces the development of advertising from its descriptive 19th century origins through today’s high-tech manipulation of powerful symbols and imagery. The average American is exposed to over 1500 ads every day. But, like the air we breathe, we pay little attention to it. By using the style, techniques and images of modern advertising, the film skillfully mirrors the neural network of ads that connect us as a society, educating us about who we are and who we should be.

The film goes beyond deconstructing individual advertisments to reveal the economic and political dimensions of living in an advertising infused environment. In our "new world order" of diminishing resources and devastating pollution, this film makes the critical connections between the rise of consumerism, environmental degradation and our blind commitment to economic growth at any cost. It forcefully demonstrates the link between our debased public discourse and a media culture that defines freedom as consumer choice rather than democratic participation.

It doesn’t just diagnose the symptoms of our late 20th century commercial disease, but more importantly, it de-mystifies the consumer culture which underlies our affliction and makes us all so susceptible. Complete with original soundtrack by media pirates Negativland, this humorous and entertaining documentary is an irreverent, up to the minute analysis of the complex role advertising plays in our lives and its impact on our global future. Viewer discretion is advised: you will never look at an ad the same way again.'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Sorry OP but that just looks like too much effort to read. But your probably wrong anyway whatever it is. Cheerio.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭DonQuay1

Johro wrote: »
    I heard a bit about this on the radio a while back and thought I'd look it up, http://theadandtheego.com/, sounded interesting, has anyone actually seen it?
    'The Ad and the Ego' is a documentary film all about subliminal advertising and how advertising shapes our society and it's politics. (Yeah, sounds sexy doesn't it?)
    Here's the summary:

Witty, slick, sexy and sarcastic, shameless and in your face, The Ad and the Ego takes on advertising on its own terms. By re-editing and restructuring thousands of contemporary and classic television commercials with insights by noted media critics, this rapid fire, multi-layered documentary exposes the destructive power of a mass media system out of control.
    The Ad and the Ego traces the development of advertising from its descriptive 19th century origins through today’s high-tech manipulation of powerful symbols and imagery. The average American is exposed to over 1500 ads every day. But, like the air we breathe, we pay little attention to it. By using the style, techniques and images of modern advertising, the film skillfully mirrors the neural network of ads that connect us as a society, educating us about who we are and who we should be.
    Press.02.jpg
    The Ad and the Ego goes beyond deconstructing individual advertisments to reveal the economic and political dimensions of living in an advertising infused environment. In our "new world order" of diminishing resources and devastating pollution, this film makes the critical connections between the rise of consumerism, environmental degradation and our blind commitment to economic growth at any cost. It forcefully demonstrates the link between our debased public discourse and a media culture that defines freedom as consumer choice rather than democratic participation.
    Money.01.jpg
    The Ad and the Ego doesn’t just diagnose the symptoms of our late 20th century commercial disease, but more importantly, it de-mystifies the consumer culture which underlies our affliction and makes us all so susceptible. Complete with original soundtrack by media pirates Negativland, this humorous and entertaining documentary is an irreverent, up to the minute analysis of the complex role advertising plays in our lives and its impact on our global future. Viewer discretion is advised: you will never look at an ad the same way again.

Looks like you have an interest. Is this an advertisement???? Couldn't you go on Joe Duffy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Watched it in 3rd year for the Junior Cert advertising question (about 10 years ago now). It was quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Seriously mild out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Subliminal advertising is a myth

Drink Pepsi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

GABBO IS COMING!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Sorry OP but that just looks like too much effort to read. But your probably wrong anyway whatever it is. Cheerio.
    Aww ya poor thing...

Watch out Smeg, that's sexing talk.

DonQuay1 wrote: »
    Looks like you have an interest. Is this an advertisement???? Couldn't you go on Joe Duffy?
    Hmm...
    Well this is the bit that interests me:
    'In our "new world order" of diminishing resources and devastating pollution, this film makes the critical connections between the rise of consumerism, environmental degradation and our blind commitment to economic growth at any cost. It forcefully demonstrates the link between our debased public discourse and a media culture that defines freedom as consumer choice rather than democratic participation.'

Hey you don't have to care. Just asking a question here.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Nah

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I thought it was the id and the ego?

MrStuffins wrote: »

Drink Pepsi
    Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

ads are powerful stuff alright

Not this time.

DonQuay1 wrote: »
    Couldn't you go on Joe Duffy?
    Crap I never thought of that. But I don't have a 'scumbag' story...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

it's a delicious word play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Wow very annoying website, they could have used some of the research into advertising to know not to make the writing unreadable.

Wow very annoying website, they could have used some of the research into advertising to know not to make the writing unreadable.
    Yeah I did think the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Maybe as it's commonly known, flashing images, etc.
    But when an ad is trying to sell you a lifestyle or evoke certain emotions, is it really any better?
    Johro wrote: »
    has anyone actually seen it?
    Haven't seen it, but I've seen other documentaries where there's a lot of info straight from the horse's mouth. Pretty depressing to watch.

Haven't seen it, but I've seen other documentaries where there's a lot of info straight from the horse's mouth. Pretty depressing to watch.
    Just wondered coz I heard it's quite an eye opener.
    There's a free download available, think I'll have a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Drink Pepsi

Sudden craving for a coke, I mean pepsi

FFS Lola what were you doing up at 5 in the morning. That's about the only time I'm guaranteed not to be conscious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

I just went out and bought cornflakes and new tyres for a car i dont have...

wft is this thread?

Advertisement