Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Ag Science...Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

Hi all.. Ag science tomorrow is my last exam, plan on studying all day today for it and maybe get up early tomorrow. I know I got 90+ in my project, and I took Ag Science on this year as a repeat to replace my ordinary math since I didnt fancy doing it again seeing the course was changed!
    Anyways, we had class once a week, and on the odd saturday, but I could count on two hands the number of classes we've had all year! I haven't touched it all year as i'm doing all honours and needed to focus on english, chemistry etc, I realise now that this was a BIG mistake!
    Can anyone please tell me the main parts of the course I should go over, i'm pretty good at biology got a B1 in the leaving last year so hoping that will help me.

Any replies would be great!!

Do question 1 if you want a good grade. :) {highest marks}
    Soil(Q2) and genetics(Q7) are always definites so make sure you look over those sections well.
    (Q9) can be really simple sometimes. So you should try that. Even guess the answer cause you might be right. :)

But I think you should look over everything. Even the summaries of chapters if you feel you can't take it anymore. Anything at all can turn up in the other questions. :L

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Wouldn't bother with soil. It's mind-numbingly boring and personally I could revise the rest of the course in the time it would take me to revise that section.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Anyone else just using the rapid revision book? It's like Sue Honans book for Geography to my understanding :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

Hayezer wrote: »
    Anyone else just using the rapid revision book? It's like Sue Honans book for Geography to my understanding :pac:

I use it for some parts of the course. I use Bruce College notes that my teacher gave us as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dearbhaile

Bubbleope wrote: »
    Dearbhaile wrote: »
    No problem:) I'm so fecked for this though, I actually have never studied ag science!!All nighter tomorrow for sure!! Then SUMMER!!:D

hopefully you mean an all-nighter tonight and not tomorrow night?! Haha the exam is tomorrow yano! :) i have to study for music yet too. starting to feel the pressure. :o
    Haha,my mistake!!that would be funny turning up a day late!!:D oh crap, ya better get going so!! But sure think of the freedom after tomorrow!! Bitta motivation!!:)

• Advertisement

Dearbhaile wrote: »
    Haha,my mistake!!that would be funny turning up a day late!!:D oh crap, ya better get going so!! But sure think of the freedom after tomorrow!! Bitta motivation!!:)

i know! :D can't wait! these last few days have been torture.. seeing everyone else being all happy with their freedom. :pac:
    i just cannot wait for actual summer. :D

I just love learning about crops, so wonderful:D

Just finished going over Soil Science was fairly boring but I went over some Q.2 afterwards and I could answer most of them :D .. How is everyone getting on?

smithy77 wrote: »
    I just love learning about crops, so wonderful:D

Just finished going over Soil Science was fairly boring but I went over some Q.2 afterwards and I could answer most of them :D .. How is everyone getting on?

ah jaysus i feel sick to my stomach now! been neglecting ag science all day. ): oh but to think i'll be finished my lc this time tomorrow. :D but then we have to wait for results :( fúckmalife :pac: ah i hope ag will be nice to us. :o

i'm really not going to sleep tonight. can't afford it tbh. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 aineeeeee

Can someone explain the marking scheme to me? Better late than never as the fella says. So if I write down 3 points, the marking scheme requires one, and two are right, am I marked down for the incorrect one? I don't get it. Also if a marking scheme answer says "answer/second answer/third answer" like that, is it ok to give or do you need all 3?
    This effing subject :|

aineeeeee wrote: »
    Can someone explain the marking scheme to me? Better late than never as the fella says. So if I write down 3 points, the marking scheme requires one, and two are right, am I marked down for the incorrect one? I don't get it. Also if a marking scheme answer says "answer/second answer/third answer" like that, is it ok to give or do you need all 3?
    This effing subject :|

To be honest I haven't been told about this by my teacher either. Its not like business where you know how many marks go for what question and I'm not sure about the negative marking either:confused:

Got animal production finished went over all the feeding of calf/lamb and cow, calving/lambing, culling, replacement stock, BCS, concentrates, milk quality/bacteria, bull beef, compensatory growth, housing, integrated pig units, disease control, AI (hoping that'll do :P)... Couldn't get my head around sheep breeding too annoying :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Didn't think anyone could fail ag, but I'm pretty sure I just did. That genetics question.. Dafuq was that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

Didn't think anyone could fail ag, but I'm pretty sure I just did. That genetics question.. Dafuq was that?!

The exam goes on from 9:30 - 12:00. Your post was at 11 :eek:

What is this sorcery!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

How did you find the time to leave early? :O

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jibs

Did anyone think that was one of the hardest papers yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Not sure what to think. Did everything bar soil. Delighted I'm finished

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

I thought it was ok. But usually when I think something goes ok it goes crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jibs

What did people say for Q5 (a) "Give four reasons why the area under wheat cultivation is much less than the area under barley cultivation in Ireland"?

That exam was definitely one of the hardest they've bought out. I'm hoping with the project I'll get a C, and yeah whats the story with that genetic cross? That was harder than a biology one!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Siobhnk wrote: »

How did you find the time to leave early? :O

It's a fairly short exam, and I write very, very fast :p

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dearbhaile

Bit iffy in places,wasn't it?? feckin question 9,whyyy did I do it when it's always hard to get marks in?! Oh well,over now,and on my Birthday..how sweet?:D

• Advertisement

Meh was grand spose, might get a B1, scrape an A2. Lot of educated guessing. The genetics was pretty weird but I think I got it. Thought Q1 was really hard, normally pretty easy :/. What is the phosphate deficiency experiment? I just did test for phosphate and said if you don't get this result, the plant has a phosphate deficiency and will die :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 leaving cert hero

For Q7 part b ii, i said BE X BE , was this right?, it was a horrid weird cross......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

I said BB x EE.

stephenl15 wrote: »
    I said BB x EE.

Then BE x BE for part ii). Was weird, took me a while to understand.

Yeah then BE x BE for part ii. Took me a while aswell. What was the silage quality experiment? I made one up.

Yeah then BE x BE for part ii. Took me a while aswell. What was the silage quality experiment? I made one up.

I had a quick quick glance over it before so sorta made it up. Said smell them, lactic acid silage smells vinegary and sharp, butyric acid smells rancid and foul. Squeeze them, if 'juices'(it was meant to be dry matter or something :pac:) come out the silage is poor, if none comes out its good. Then give them a quick lick, good silage tastes acidiy, bad silage doesn't. Mine was along those lines.

Texture, colour, smell and water/dry matter of lactic and butyric acid silage.

Hayezer wrote: »
    I had a quick quick glance over it before so sorta made it up. Said smell them, lactic acid silage smells vinegary and sharp, butyric acid smells rancid and foul. Squeeze them, if 'juices'(it was meant to be dry matter or something :pac:) come out the silage is poor, if none comes out its good. Then give them a quick lick, good silage tastes acidiy, bad silage doesn't. Mine was along those lines.

Haha I just said squeeze it to see if effluent comes out and if it doesnt its good and if it does its bad, along them lines haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2 zuppy10

Hi, i thought all in all paper was fairly good, anyone know what a "terminal sire" was?
    The genetics one was an incomplete dominance one, so ya do like WeWb X WeWb
    Then you end up with 2- WeWb, 1-WeWe and 1-WbWb
    then say what length they were.
    I did all except soil and scientific explanations.

• Advertisement

zuppy10 wrote: »
    Hi, i thought all in all paper was fairly good, anyone know what a "terminal sire" was?
    The genetics one was an incomplete dominance one, so ya do like WeWb X WeWb
    Then you end up with 2- WeWb, 1-WeWe and 1-WbWb
    then say what length they were.
    I did all except soil and scientific explanations.

Im pretty sure there wasnt 4 letters in each thing! Where are you getting W from?

Advertisement