Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should the Irish team get a homecoming celebration?

• 19-06-2012 1:35am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

OK don't shoot the messenger. A few people have raised the possibility - open top bus and on a stage with Joe in the Pheonix Park and all that craic. What do you think? You just know the FAI are considering it.

Personally maybe the fans should get a homecoming from the team in the Pheonix Park...

???? 176 votes

Yes they tried their best
    0% 0 votes
    Nah it was embarrassing in 2002
    9% 16 votes
    I don't know
    90% 160 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Open top bus? You have got to be joking?
    People like Katie Taylor top of their sport would be lucky to get the back page of the paper.

This lot look a shambles and are meant to be praised? It should be expected of them to qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

No. They should be sat down and made watch the same ****e we had to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

No!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

darkman2 wrote: »
    OK don't shoot the messenger. A few people have raised the possibility - open top bus and on a stage with Joe in the Pheonix Park and all that craic. What do you think? You just know the FAI are considering it.

Personally maybe the fans should get a homecoming from the team in the Pheonix Park...

Is it really worth a new thread because

(a) "a few people have raised the possibility"

or

(b) because , according to yourself "you just know the FAI are considering it".

Bit of a non-topic, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

No, they were sh!te

At least in 2002 they got on fairly well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

No but it's a loaded question and answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Not sure. 1990 was great, but that was off the charts! Maybe something like an open training session in Tallaght stadium or something mild like that. Or maybe a cameo on stage at Electric Picnic.

Or I suppose we could wait until the end of the summer and have an open air concert with a big stage in the Pheonix Park with the team, plus any olympians we send over, and maybe throw in the Rugby team for good measure. Just kinda like a summary of our sporting achievements this year.

I dont think an open top bus through the streets is suitable. I don't really want to be celebrating complete and utter failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I don't like the phrasing of the questions so won't be voting, but I do think they should receive a welcome home, not a parade, or any open top bus ****, they don't deserve that, it would be kinda pathetic if we were to celebrate gaining the record of worst team ever at a European Championship.

I would want to recognise the teams achievement of actually reaching the finals and think they deserve that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

kryogen wrote: »

I would want to recognise the teams achievement of actually reaching the finals and think they deserve that much.

I think we acknowledged this at the Estonia Aviva game.

OP must be tounge-in-cheek.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

noodler wrote: »
    Is it really worth a new thread because

(a) "a few people have raised the possibility"

or

(b) because , according to yourself "you just know the FAI are considering it".

Bit of a non-topic, no?

Could become an issue sooner then you think! Every other team got a "homecoming" piss up to come back to. They failed too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Could become an issue sooner then you think! Every other team got a "homecoming" piss up to come back to. They failed too.

They didnt fail as badly as this shower though 2002 was genuinely entertaining and i was quite happy with how the team did i cant imagen one person in ireland being proud of happy with what this current "team" did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I imagine the players would be too embarrassed to entertain such an idea. . .and if not, they should be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

No and I think the players would be embarrassed if they had to go on an open-bus parade also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

noodler wrote: »
    I think we acknowledged this at the Estonia Aviva game.

OP must be tounge-in-cheek.

Sending a team off to a major tournament is different, it is full of hope and good times etc, when a team is coming home in the way Ireland are, no, because it is Ireland coming home like this, and you could see the gulf in class between the opponents and ourselves they should at least get some support when they arrive home.

They do give their all when they pull on a green jersey and if it was a nation like France/Spain/Italy, who expect more of their teams, they would not get a good welcome home at all, and rightly so, imagine the welcome home the Dutch will be getting?

For Ireland it is different I feel, we had no realistic chance of getting out of a group with 3 far superior teams to us, not with the players that went there, and the defensive lapses, the school boy errors compounded that, I am not one for celebrating results like the team have achieved in the campaign, but I do still support the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Jaysis, Roy Keane would have an aneurysm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

Should the Irish team get a homecoming celebration? Yes

Open-Top Bus No
    A few people have raised the possibility

Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No, but I'm not voting because 2002 wasn't embarrassing and only an idiot would suggest it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

We shouldn't be giving them an open top bus because they "gave their all." That is the minimum requirement!! Also it'd probably solidify Trap's absurd view that he has the backing of the public.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

in b4 the troll

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    No, but I'm not voting because 2002 wasn't embarrassing and only an idiot would suggest it was.

Joe Duffy in the Pheonix Park with the team was not embarrassing? This magnificent celebration of failure was not embarrassing? What about 1994 homecoming - I suppose that was not embarrassing either. They failed too btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Joe Duffy in the Pheonix Park with the team was not embarrassing? This magnificent celebration of failure was not embarrassing? What about 1994 homecoming - I suppose that was not embarrassing either. They failed too btw.

Apologies, I thought you meant the team were embarrassing as well in 2002, not the actual event.

Consider my no vote now cast :)

Yeah the team were great in 2002 - played good positive football and got rewarded. But the mass open air celebration was rediculous IMO. They only reached the last 16.

I am reminded of what Jack Charlton said of the 1990 homecoming to the crowd

"It worries me what the reception would be like if we actually won something!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Have things become so bad now that we celebrate crippling failure?.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Id say the closest we'll get to it is Richie Dunne off his nut on yokes at the Stone Roses gig in the pheonix park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Personally I'd say no. They didn't even qualify from a tough situation so it was hardly even a major achievement being there (better Irish teams than this have not qualified as a result of tougher paths) and as a result they landed in a tournament that they clearly had no right (qualitywise I mean) being involved in in the first place.

I heard the 94 team weren't exactly thrilled about having to go through a ceremony after they came back from America (they felt they had failed). If this team is anything similar in mindset then they must feel even worse right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

theteal wrote: »
    I imagine the players would be too embarrassed to entertain such an idea. . .and if not, they should be

hmmm.. maybe thats why they should be driven round the country/ at least dublin in an open top bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

On second thoughs, I'd say they should get an open top bus ride, around Donegal.

The roads up there are terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I do get very worried for the state of the nation, when we have what can only be described as total loopers on here, suggesting the powers that be not only throw the squad a welcome home party, but also put them on an open top bus?? :eek: :eek: :confused::confused:

What planet are you people on? Really!

Open top buses are for celebrating. Unless i missed something, what exactly do we have to celebrate? The team have embarrassed the nation and you want us to applaud them??

Any folk on here suggesting anything as ludicrious as that need their heads examined. I've never seen such bull$hit written in all my years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Atari Jaguar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭briany

Well no, and doubly no if it means having to listen to the chorus of The Fields of Athenry sung over and over and damn over. It's a poetic song that should be heard in it's entirety wherever it is sung, not just that one fragment and it's been a bit of a casualty of the tournament.

I'd say the players will file back quietly enough and try to get back to their normal routine as quickly as possible. There's little from their participation at the tournament that the Irish players would want to celebrate anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Maybe give some of the lads an open top tour around Ireland to show them what the country looks like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Maybe give some of the lads an open top tour around Ireland to show them what the country looks like.

ah don't start!!!!! Other than St. Ledge born in Birmingham, the rest of the 1st choice eleven are all Irish born, Donegal, Waterford, Dublin, Wexford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

ah don't start!!!!! Other than St. Ledge born in Birmingham, the rest of the 1st choice eleven are all Irish born, Donegal, Waterford, Dublin, Wexford.

McGeady is the other one. But yeah 9 Irish born is a high total for us generally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Of course they should get welcome back, no open top bus of course but it would be nice to see a crowd welcome them at the airport. Its nice to thank them for their efforts over the last two years and good for the younger players too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The fans should get their own homecoming parade.for being the best in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

cox is also born in Reading and Westwood who is not first choice yet but will be was born in Manchester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

No, absultely not. They should be welcomed at the airport by fans and family and the like but any celebration should be shot down.

I know if I was coming home and was told we were having a reception or celebration for our Euro's I'd be slightly ashamed if truth be told.

The players tried their best and it wasnt good enough, that much was evident but to have any celebration for that fact would be scandalous and would be met with public out cry IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

The team should have a homecoming for the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

grenache wrote: »
    I do get very worried for the state of the nation, when we have what can only be described as total loopers on here, suggesting the powers that be not only throw the squad a welcome home party, but also put them on an open top bus?? :eek: :eek: :confused::confused:

What planet are you people on? Really!

Open top buses are for celebrating. Unless i missed something, what exactly do we have to celebrate? The team have embarrassed the nation and you want us to applaud them??

Any folk on here suggesting anything as ludicrious as that need their heads examined. I've never seen such bull$hit written in all my years.

sentences like this piss me off something serious. you are easily embarassed. they didn't go out and behave like the french at the world cup. they didn't behave deplorably, or make a show of themselves personally. they were outclassed by teams who were just better than them. while i certainly don't think they have earned a parade, or any sort of public gathering really, i also don't think they should be castigated by keyboard warriors just because they didn't overcome teams that are simply better at football than they are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

stovelid wrote: »
    The fans should get their own homecoming parade.for being the best in the world.

But they'd need to have even better fans there to welcome them, meaning we'd need to organise another homecoming homestaying party for them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

To give the players their due, I'm sure the idea of it is mortifying to them as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

here's an idea why don't have them go through deprived area like finglas and ballymun and have them throw their wages (in cash) to the waiting crowds in a gesture of forgiveness.......and have roy keane as the bus driver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

I think we should give them a homecoming, after all a lot of kids would want to see the team regardless of the poor performance in the tournment. im not saying an open top bus but something like we had in 2002 in the phoenix park but i cant' imagine the crowds being very big. btw i don't think our rugby team got any homecoming despite getting to the QF of the wc and beating australia :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

fryup wrote: »
    here's an idea why don't have them go through deprived area like finglas and ballymun and have them throw their wages (in cash) to the waiting crowds in a gesture of forgiveness.......and have roy keane as the bus driver

lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

No no no. And no.

I'm old enough to remember the Phoenix park homecoming in 1994 and that was bad enough! The likes of Dickie Rock (no joke) up on stage singing to an audience of teens. Cringe. I recall many of the players and Charlton himself not wanting to be there at all... and that was after a relatively successful (compared to this one) tournament!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Absolutely not. Joint worst in the history of the tournament is not something to be celebrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

stovelid wrote: »

They can drunkenly sing "you'll never beat the Irish"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yes, give the people another chance to go out and spend money, the economy needs it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Have things become so bad now that we celebrate crippling failure?.....

There are people on this thread and indeed many in the past few weeks that seem to believe that winning is the be all and end all and that only winning should be celebrated/admired.
    Life would get extremely depressing/boring for many people if we only celebrated winning as a nation.
    We are a small country, with other sports strongly competing with Soccer for players, we made it to the Euros ahead of many other nations bigger and with more soccer played than us, we played three of the best 8 teams in the world in the space of a week. Yeah, we lost, but for fcuk sake we were and will never win that tournament (at least not in this lifetime) or any soccer tournament for that matter, we will always be a nation of "failure" in that respect, jaysus we were failures in 88,90,94 and 02 as well, albeit, with better players and more luck on our side.
    I for one am delighted we had a week and a bit of the Irish team in the Euros and at least had some interest in it. It might help spur on the younger amongst us to start playing the game of soccer, who knows?
    Celebrate the fact that Ireland are in the top 16 teams in Europe for the first time in years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement