Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should the Irish team get a homecoming celebration?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I genuinely thought there was just gonna be a smiley or something in the OP when i saw this thread title. But no, it appears the question is being seriously posed.

Des wrote: »
    Yes, give the people another chance to go out and spend money, the economy needs it.

Buzzkillington!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Yes.

The cringefactor would be off the charts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

What about a Viking Splash tour ............. over the Cliffs of Moher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Short and Simple
    NO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

a homecoming celebration for playing 3 and losing 3 - I raised this as a joke in the pub last night , I take it this also is a joke - perhaps Bertie Aherne and Brian Cowen could offer them the freedom of Ireland , at some NAMA building

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Im reminded of that Simpsons where the local football team are touched when they think Moe and a large crowd of fans have come to the airport to welcome them home despite their losses

"Yeah, I'll give ya a welcome home ya bunch of losers!":pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

darkman2 wrote: »
    OK don't shoot the messenger. A few people have raised the possibility - open top bus and on a stage with Joe in the Pheonix Park and all that craic. What do you think? You just know the FAI are considering it.

Personally maybe the fans should get a homecoming from the team in the Pheonix Park...

No we don't. I really don't think even the geniuses in Merrion Square would think that this is a good idea. It would be a total farce and if I was one of the players I'd refuse to have anything to do with it. Won't be happening anyway surely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

JoeA3 wrote: »
    No no no. And no.

I'm old enough to remember the Phoenix park homecoming in 1994 and that was bad enough! The likes of Dickie Rock (no joke) up on stage singing to an audience of teens. Cringe. I recall many of the players and Charlton himself not wanting to be there at all... and that was after a relatively successful (compared to this one) tournament!

And Boyzone prancing about in their dungarees.

I think I remember a quote from Jack at the time that went something like "What?! We've got to go home to a party??!!"

A decent crowd to welcome them at the airport will do fine, but anything else....just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Put it like this. Would the players want a homecoming celebration after losing all three games and joining the list of the worst teams to have ever played at the Euros? I think we all know the answer would be an emphatic no and that should be the end of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

There is no need for the faux outrage. I imagine it's the last thing the players want, they probably just want to get the **** home and start moving on in their own ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Rezident

No I think we should save the homecoming celebrations for the truly worthy achievements in major tournaments, like all the other tournaments we were in. In fairness though, we were always going to lose against Spain and the refs gave us nothing in the other two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

I bet the thirteen who voted yes (those who weren't taking the piss) are teachers and at sports day tell the kids 'everyone's a winner!' :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

There shouldn't be.

I don't think anyone really wants it and I'm pretty sure that includes the players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

There is no need for the faux outrage. I imagine it's the last thing the players want, they probably just want to get the **** home and start moving on in their own ways.

A week holidaying abroad more like! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

According to todays papers some of them were snook back home under the cover of darkness and parachuted into their back gardens, avoiding any media or the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Handy11

No. It would be a crazy idea to do so. They got all, if not more, support than they deserved out in Poland. They need to come home and reflect on what happened with no fanfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I think they should get a sarcastic homecoming celebration. Open top bus through the streets of Dublin lined with thousands of fans slow clapping them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

darkman2 wrote: »
    Should the Irish team get a homecoming celebration?

For what?

Perhaps banishing them from these shores, would be a more suitable reward for their 'endeavours'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement