Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5770 might be on the way out

Options
  • 19-06-2012 3:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all(and by all I mean none, as this is generally a necro forum),

Unfortunately I'm here as I suspect I'm going to have to splash out for a new GPU soon :(

First off, Specs:
    • Dimension 9200
    • Q6600 @2.4Ghz
    • 4GB
    • MSI 5770 HAWK Edition
    • Monitor One: 1920x1280 - HDMI
    • Monitor Two: 1280x1024 - DVI

Symptoms: Persistent "grainy shimmer" all the time. Visable on darker colours and on both panels. See video(not great, but I think you'll get the idea)
    *Watch in HD*

Card was dispatched to me on 22/03/2011 so just over a year old now.

msi1.pngmsi3.png

Another thing to note is Afterburner still sees a really old 7.14.10.... driver no matter what I do ^^

Clocks I've been using: [Accidentally wiped so from memory]
    Most of the time: Stock 850/1200 Fans 60%
    When I want quiet: 700/900 Fans 30%
    When I want a bit more power: 920/1250 Fans 80%
    Core Voltage Never Unlocked!

First noticed the problem recently when I bought CIV 5. Myself and a mate were playing online when I noticed at first a few little glitches then some more large scale artifacting. Flicked the G150 display over to Afterburner and sure thing, whaddya know, 71*C. Quickly rev'd the fan from 80 to 100 and when that didnt help I shut the game down.

Two things contributed to the overheat, one full AA and MSAA being on as stock and two, a bit of dust in my lower front intake fan.

Grand, cleaned it out, clocked it back a little, civ 5 was stable, warm(low 60s) but stable. Then I realised more recently that its still grainy. And today, when I go to play ARMAII I saw it was quite grainy(along with other issues, not specifically related). So I went and made sure everything was up to date, which it now is(wasnt very far out anyways) but still, the grainyness persists.

It could have been there all along and I'm just blind as fúck from so many hours in front of a screen, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't.

So, am I in trouble do you think? Had 2 8800s die before this and I'll smash the KB if this goes too. Could re paste the cooler if that'd help? (Its the version with this cooler http://www.msi.com/pic/product/five_pictures4_20091216105953.jpg)

Basically any input welcome.

/3AM Rant
    ED E

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hmmm

msi4.png

Hmmm, changing from YCbCr 4:4:4 to RGB 4:4:4 appears to have stopped the grain on the 1080 but not the 1024......

Advertisement