Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baking Bread

Options
  • 19-06-2012 7:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi!I was just wondering if anyone knows anywhere to buy strong flour and fresh yeast in Dublin 1?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Pretty sure I got strong flour in Tesco. I got dry yeast there too but not sure where you'd get it fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Interested in making real bread?
    The guy from 'Bread Revolution' TV show on BBC and book of same title just set up baking school with wood-fired oven in West Cork.

http://thefirehouse.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 34 karen234

I'm studying baking!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

Strong bread flour you will get in any supermarket. Fresh yeast is more difficult. You could try the Dublin Yeast Company opposite Trinity College. I have got fresh yeast from a baker in the past. But honestly, dried yeast works really well and you can get that in the supermarket too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 karen234

I've tried all of the supermarkets around here and I'm struggling to find it.All they seem to have is cream,self raising and plain.
    I would prefer to use fresh yeast as that is what I have been using all year and all of my recipes call for fresh yeast so I'm not really sure what quantitiesof dried yeast to use in comparison.And it doesn't smell as good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Thud

most superquinn bakery sections will sell you fresh yeast if you ask them, got a massive lump of it there last week for €2, had to freeze most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 unszwa

I am really wondering how to make perfect hamburgers for the family to enjoy either during picnic or at home/...;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

get mince meat,some mixed herbs with parsley,garlic salt for taste,salt olive oil and egg to congeal the mix..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

karen234 wrote: »
    I've tried all of the supermarkets around here and I'm struggling to find it.All they seem to have is cream,self raising and plain.
    I would prefer to use fresh yeast as that is what I have been using all year and all of my recipes call for fresh yeast so I'm not really sure what quantitiesof dried yeast to use in comparison.And it doesn't smell as good.

I have seen strong flour in my local Tesco, dunnes, Superquinn and SuperValu so i dont know why you are having such bad luck finding it, unless all your local supermarkets are small branches. If you go to a larger branch, it should be easy to find. You should be able to get it in a Healthfood shop, but you might have to pay more.

As for yeast, you should try dried active yeast, if you can find it.

It is dried, comes in a tin and keeps for ages, but it needs to be sponged like fresh yeast. It smells great and works more like frsh yeast than the instant yeast. It is easy to convert the quantities for any recipe. ( The packet has the conversion ratio on it).

The only brand I have seen in Dublin in Addinsons in SupeValu in Churchtown.

Advertisement