Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Token economy for toddlers?

Options
  • 19-06-2012 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello, I'm Kevin, a worried father of a two year old beauty. She's making a fuss for everything lately... At eating time, at bathing time... My wife and me don't know what to do. We've read something about a thing called "token economy" (we even saw some in a web called mag-print.co.uk) but we're not sure if our little girl is too young for this system or what.

Can you help two desperate parents?

Thank you very much!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I never heard of it before, but just googled it, that seems like an excellent system! I guess you could do it on a 2 year old, there's no reason why not, they know right well when they're being rewarded and when they're being naughty, so there's no reason why you can't draw on that.

I would imagine it would have to be perfectly visible, in maybe a chart, to show her how many tokens she's collecting and what those tokens are aiming towards? Otherwise she may lose focus on it? What will she be able to exchange the tokens for?

We've been using time out, Supernanny style, 1 warning and then off you go. That's the system the creche uses, so we thought we'd introduce it at home too for continuity.

The token economy thing sounds like a great idea, I might try bringing that in myself though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Personally I have a 2year old and he is fussy about stuff to lately, nappy changing and feeding, however I believe that he is just starting to assert his independence and wants to make decisions for himself even if they are not quite the right ones

I really think giving treats for doing things work but at a slightly older stage for example when your potty training or when they are older helping with house work, also do you want to get into the routine of her not doing something unless she gets rewarded.

Parenting is a hit and miss scenario and each does it differently, regardless of what is said on here you know what is right for your child and ultimately so does your wife, so you will do what you both think is best in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kevin.1984

Thank you very much for your advise. I think we'll buy that token economy we saw.

We'll tell you the results.

Thanks again!!!!!

do you work for mag print? I googled it and half the results were your messages on different forums :D

You caught me! Hahaha. Just kidding, it's just I was pretty lost about that topic and I thought their token economy was the most original :D

• Advertisement

This may sound like a silly question...but do you get the tokens with the chart? :o Are they magnetic too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

There's no need to keep spamming the name of the site you saw then. Mention it once and not again or I'll ban you for spamming.

Sorry, didn't want to spam. Hannibal, I'll tell you when they arrive home, but it says so on their webpage

Advertisement