Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No seats allowed outside Dew Drop

Options
  • 19-06-2012 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I was in town Sunday and the sun was blazing, so I thought I'd go to the Dew Drop and have a pint sitting outside. As I was dragging out a couple of seats - the bar keep stopped me. Apperiently the Gardes have ordered the Dew Drop to keep the seats inside.

It's a bit of a shame that you can't sit outside the Dew Drop anymore - its one of the only places in town that the sun shines on in the evening. I've had many a good evening their watching the sun set, over the years.

I know it looks a bit dodgy when theres dozens of people sitting outside there, but still - its just one more thing that I'm not allowed to enjoy in my old age.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ah that's crap, as you said the location is really good in the evenings.
    Suppose you can still stand up but it's not the same thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It doesn't look dodgy.
    It is a public thoroughfare and by-laws state that drinking in public is unlawful. It is up to the pub to apply to the Council to get a roped off area on the street and pay a fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

snubbleste wrote: »
    It doesn't look dodgy.
    It is a public thoroughfare and by-laws state that drinking in public is unlawful. It is up to the pub to apply to the Council to get a roped off area on the street and pay a fee.
    yup, as far as i know the dew drop are just unwilling to pay the fee for the few sunny evenings we get each summer. They have a smoking room inside so i suppose they don't feel they need an cordened outside area like the other pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

McTigs wrote: »
    yup, as far as i know the dew drop are just unwilling to pay the fee for the few sunny evenings we get each summer. They have a smoking room inside so i suppose they don't feel they need an cordened outside area like the other pubs.

It is a pity. It's a fine 'sun trap' in the evenings at this time of year. Such a fine trap you sometimes forget to go home!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I doubt that the council would allow a roped-off area outside An Tobar because it would be too close to the bicycle stand.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I see no real problem as long as they pay like all the other pubs did from Taaffes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I see no real problem as long as they pay like all the other pubs did from Taaffes down.

Its not just about requesting/paying for an area.There's some bye-law that restricts the number of venues with outside seating in an area now. A couple of businesses were refused. Not sure if Dew Drop applied though. I'd agree that it's an awkward place because of the bike rack. Pedestrians access would change too.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭claw14

They moved a bike rack for the crustys in the square, why not here.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

dilallio wrote: »
    I doubt that the council would allow a roped-off area outside An Tobar because it would be too close to the bicycle stand.
    typical cyclists ruining everyones life with their bike stands

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »
    Its not just about requesting/paying for an area.There's some bye-law that restricts the number of venues with outside seating in an area now. A couple of businesses were refused. Not sure if Dew Drop applied though. I'd agree that it's an awkward place because of the bike rack. Pedestrians access would change too.

It's a mighty wide street though, lots and lots of space there for chair, bikes pedestrians, buskers and rubbish bins!

• Advertisement

JustMary wrote: »
    It's a mighty wide street though, lots and lots of space there for chair, bikes pedestrians, buskers and rubbish bins!

'tis, I just don't know how much that has to do with the granting of licence part. Although if you are turning around right from shop street, there is no way you could do it if seating was there. You'd have to do a loop around the bike rack in a circle. Maybe businesses next door may not be too happy to lose the walkby traffic. These little things may set off a sh*tstorm.

It does get sun at a certain angle that others don't though (maybe Taffes a bit).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

When its sunny go down to the town house, lots of chairs there and not a bike to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 christg

The townhouse does get the sun, but the car traffic sort takes a bit of the joy out of it.

Regarding the bike rack - right across from the Dew Drop is a shop (the old wine shop) that has all the windows covered, that the bike rack could be moved to.

christg wrote: »
    The townhouse does get the sun, but the car traffic sort takes a bit of the joy out of it.

Regarding the bike rack - right across from the Dew Drop is a shop (the old wine shop) that has all the windows covered, that the bike rack could be moved to.

I'd consider the Dew Drop just as trafficky, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 christg

I don't know if it's the buildings or what, but there is an echo by the townhouse that makes it sound like a motorway is going by. Mind you after the first pint you don't notice. Plus you don't get the foot traffic, so not as much people watching to enjoy.

Plus I sort of like the disorganised way it was in front of the dew drop- with the townhouse you have tables lined up nice and neat, with a containing wall all around you, like you're an animal in the zoo for tourist to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

On the plus side for the Townhouse you're not paying for the most expensive pint in Galway and it's handy for the bus if you get the notion to go to Salthill. (and they sell Galway Hooker):-)

Advertisement