Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will you make an effort with the LOI this season? **MOD WARNING POST #9**

• 19-06-2012 9:40am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭

I used to go to maybe 5 or 6 Bohs games a year, which fell to about 2 a year (rovers) until I left over a year ago. I'll be back again in a year or so but I really think anyone who's a football fan in Ireland needs to make an effort to get out there and support your local team. Or try and adopt one!
    I've been embarrassed by all these football fans in Poland who have appeared out of nowhere, when we can't fill Lansdowne and poor aul Monaghan UTD are shutting down and the LOI gates are pathetic as usual.
    Will you be making an effort to attend a few LOI games this year, if you don't go already? Surely it's not a bad way to spend a Friday evening! Here's hoping lads.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

All I say is people should make the effort to get to two or three games, if they like it great another few fans.

It's the people that have never stepped foot inside their local ground, but yet express their views on the League that annoy me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Even if the football can be dire, watching the lunatic Bohs fans shouting and screaming is entertainment enough, plus Leo Burdocks...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

As someone who went to a few games as a teenager and then fell off, before coming back to it this season, I'd recommend this. The kids love it - never mind it that the play is sometimes a bit keystone cops, there's nothing to beat the atmosphere of live football, and it's right on our doorstep in many cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Been to 5 games this year hope to make it to another 8 at least. As a Sligo fan living in Dub with a young family, most of my attendances will be as an away fan, but get to the showgrounds as much as I can.

Its great entertainment, the quality of the product is usually very good, especially following the bit o red :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I used to go to maybe 5 or 6 Bohs games a year, which fell to about 2 a year (rovers) until I left over a year ago. I'll be back again in a year or so but I really think anyone who's a football fan in Ireland needs to make an effort to get out there and support your local team. Or try and adopt one!
    I've been embarrassed by all these football fans in Poland who have appeared out of nowhere, when we can't fill Lansdowne and poor aul Monaghan UTD are shutting down and the LOI gates are pathetic as usual.
    Will you be making an effort to attend a few LOI games this year, if you don't go already? Surely it's not a bad way to spend a Friday evening! Here's hoping lads.

They haven't all appeared out of nowhere! Just because many have zero interest in the league here does not mean they are not fans of the game. I have absolutely no interest in the football being played in the LOI and I have a strong dislike of the "anti-English team vibe" I have personaly witnessed from people linked to LOI, both fans and people associated with clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I hate these sorts of threads.

Have you ever watched an Irish movie? Did you enjoy it?

Well then why don't you make an effort to go to Irish theatre every week? You just jump on the bandwagon when a good Irish movie comes out.

Yes this is a stupid argument and so is the "you should go to LOI games if you're a real fan".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

All I say is people should make the effort to get to two or three games, if they like it great another few fans.

It's the people that have never stepped foot inside their local ground, but yet express their views on the League that annoy me.

The problem is though, with a lesser standard of football and poorer facilities than on the tele, two or three games isn't enough to get a good grasp of what the league is all about. The passion and the other things that can only be obtained by going week in, week out.

It's a catch 22 - tell people to try a couple of games and they won't get it, or tell them they need to go to a whole season and they'll say "Feck that" and not go at all.

I guess all you can hope for is that the first few experiences are good ones and slowly build up that interest over a period of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Use this thread to answer the question of whether or not you're going to make an effort to go to a LOI game this season.

If this turns into the typical 'LOI -v- Barstooler' debate that I'm fairly sure it's going to well then the thread will be locked and bans handed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

FutureGuy wrote: »
    They haven't all appeared out of nowhere! Just because many have zero interest in the league here does not mean they are not fans of the game. I have absolutely no interest in the football being played in the LOI and I have a strong dislike of the "anti-English team vibe" I have personaly witnessed from people linked to LOI, both fans and people associated with clubs.

Why have you little interest in the football being played in the LOI? And if a vibe from a few people on the internet stops you going to a few games, you must live a sheltered life.

Nobody is expecting anyone to go out, buy the jersies and go overboard. Can casually go the game, enjoy some football thats on show and leave it at that. You get a nights entertainment, the club gets badly needed funds. You don't have to stop supporting any English team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I personally wont anyway even though I live only about 4,5 KM's from Turner's Cross.

I've probably been to about 12 games since I was 11. Last game was 2 seasons ago when a few buddies were going to a game against Waterford Utd AFAIR and said I'd go along.

That would be my level of interest in the LoI, its only very very casual, on the other hand I dont mock or make jibes towards LoI supporters or clubs, each to their own and all that.

I do go to Avondale United (MSL) games though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Try to get to as many of the bohs games that I can, forgot how much I missed going until I started going regularly again this year.

The quality of the football might not be the greatest, but it's good craic and the lads always put in the effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I suppose I'll never really understand the 'quality of football' line. What does it actually mean? The LOI can't compete with the liks of the EPL in terms of how good the teams are but a game of football is a game of football and some of the clubs in the LOI play decent, passing football. Clubs at much higher levels than the LOI play poor football as well.

Can see where people are coming from about the facilities for families and it's something that needs to be addressed by the clubs and the FAI.

I've noticed down the years a few posters from this forum have started going to LOI games and now support the league but I do think, as said, you need to go to a fair few games to see if the bug gets you and you start to feel an affection for the team and get chatting to a few people.

An awful lot of LOI supporters have a foreign team that they support too, so it''s hardly as if both things clash or are mutually exclusive.

The LOI threads on this forum are generally friendly and welcoming for any new supporters that are genuinely interested in a bit of info and wanting to find out about the league.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Mushy wrote: »
    Why have you little interest in the football being played in the LOI? And if a vibe from a few people on the internet stops you going to a few games, you must live a sheltered life.

Nobody is expecting anyone to go out, buy the jersies and go overboard. Can casually go the game, enjoy some football thats on show and leave it at that. You get a nights entertainment, the club gets badly needed funds. You don't have to stop supporting any English team.

A sheltered life? Hardly. Also, where did I say the vibe was from people on the internet?

I am a real football fan. I support Manchester United and the Irish soccer team. I have respect for many other clubs, including many rivals of MUFC. I enjoy watching the games of other Premier League teams. I have massive respect for many players such as Vincent Kompany, even though he is the captain of our rivals. I follow Real Madrid, Lyon, Bayern and Inter in their respective leagues.

I have zero interest in LOI and the Scottish PL for varying reasons. The standard of football has nothing to do with it as I regularly watch Junior Soccer games.

So will I be making an effort to attend the LOI games? Absolutely not. I will continue to enjoy Junior soccer in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

If everybody in Ireland who claims to be a football fan made an effort to attend even 2 LOI games a season, attendances would improve dramatically, increasing income for clubs. The LOI would gradually get stronger which would lead to more of the likes of McClean, Long, Fahey, Coleman etc. being produced at home. These players are being produced in the LOI despite the league being on it's knees. Imagine what could be achieved if the league was healthy. Nobody is saying you have to give up supporting and being passionate about Man Utd/Liverpool/Celtic etc. You can do that and still go to a couple of LOI games a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

nearest clubs are an hour and a half away, so I will not be making the effort

I have absolutely no interest in the football being played in the LOI and I have a strong dislike of the "anti-English team vibe" I have personaly witnessed from people linked to LOI, both fans and people associated with clubs.

The perceived negative attitude of LOI supporters is often cited as a reason that people don;t go to games yet that doesn't appear to stop people attending games in England, often at clubs with a sizable anti-Irish element in their support.

If everybody in Ireland who claims to be a football fan made an effort to attend even 2 LOI games a season, attendances would improve dramatically, increasing income for clubs. The LOI would gradually get stronger which would lead to more of the likes of McClean, Long, Fahey, Coleman etc. being produced at home. These players are being produced in the LOI despite the league being on it's knees. Imagine what could be achieved if the league was healthy. Nobody is saying you have to give up supporting and being passionate about Man Utd/Liverpool/Celtic etc. You can do that and still go to a couple of LOI games a season.

What you're saying is true (i.e. if more people went to LOI games attendances would improve, income would improve, etc.), but if the product is poor most people won't buy it. That is how the market works. It has absolutely nothing to do with the erroneous concept that real football fans attend local games.

There is a local, crappy band who plays down the road from me. If every real music fan attended their gigs they would be millionaires. But most people only like good bands! It makes me so angry...

EDIT: Sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

I'd be unlikely to attend. The closest to me would probably be Sligo or Glaway, both ~100km away on mouldy roads.

I'm up in Dublin a fair bit though so I wouldn't rule it out. Who should I support?

I'd be unlikely to attend. The closest to me would probably be Sligo or Glaway, both ~100km away on mouldy roads.

I'm up in Dublin a fair bit though so I wouldn't rule it out. Who should I support?

Bohemians pls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

It has absolutely nothing to do with the erroneous concept that real football fans attend local games.
    The concept is that real football fans attend games. There are several maniacs on here who travel to England every other week all season.

And comparing supporting a football team to going to see a band is silly.

If anyone is actually interested in going to a football match, Shels Rovers on Thursday could be a doozy.

7374654656_ebe3e0752e_m.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'm a Bohs season ticket holder for the current season. I never really got the league of Ireland or fully understood it until I stepped foot in Dalymount for a few league games and a Europa League qualifier last year. Got absolutely hooked and couldn't get enough.

It still feels slightly alien to me as I've always supported Newcastle and feel more passion for them than I do Bohs. I wouldn't get as animated at a Bohs game as much as I would at a Newcastle game or watching one on the box though I did get quite involved in the Rovers/Bohs derby earlier on this season and am looking forward to attending my first Bohs/Rovers derby in a couple of weeks.

I tried to get a few mates into it but it just wasn't for them. There's one lad I sometimes go with but not as regularly as me as he's not a season ticket holder.

Kick starts the weekend of football nicely when the Premier League etc start back too.

CiaranC wrote: »
    The concept is that real football fans attend games.

I understand that is the concept, but it is fallacious.

Real music fans attend local gigs. This is the same argument. Also fallacious.

For the record I have attended LOI games and would like to see a strong local league. But I have zero issue with people who don't want to attend LOI games as it is their choice and it doesn't make them fake fans or whatever the name calling is.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Hmmm, I support Newcastle also. Bohs off to an early lead. Northside suits me better too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

What you're saying is true (i.e. if more people went to LOI games attendances would improve, income would improve, etc.), but if the product is poor most people won't buy it. That is how the market works. It has absolutely nothing to do with the erroneous concept that real football fans attend local games.

There is a local, crappy band who plays down the road from me. If every real music fan attended their gigs they would be millionaires. But most people only like good bands! It makes me so angry...

EDIT: Sarcasm.

Surely if you like football (i.e. a football fan) you enjoy watching football matches? By all acounts the Norweigians and Swedes are as obsessed with the English Premier League as we are in Ireland yet their own national leagues are reasonably healthy and have healthy attendances. This is despite the standard being way poorer than the EPL they watch on TV every weekend. Why do they attend their own league's matches I wonder? In fact why do people in England attend games in the Championship, League 1 or 2 when the standard isn't as good as the nearest premier league team? Sure why do any fans worldwide go to any football matches unless their team is in the premier league, serie A or La liga?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The standard of the football in LOI shouldn't even be an excuse anyway seeing as i've seen so many better matches in LOI than what i've witnessed at Lansdowne Road and Croker under Trap.

Going to watch Ireland matches is a chore at this stage. Going to LOI games is an absolute pleasure!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

A sheltered life? Hardly. Also, where did I say the vibe was from people on the internet?

I am a real football fan. I support Manchester United and the Irish soccer team. I have respect for many other clubs, including many rivals of MUFC. I enjoy watching the games of other Premier League teams. I have massive respect for many players such as Vincent Kompany, even though he is the captain of our rivals. I follow Real Madrid, Lyon, Bayern and Inter in their respective leagues.

I have zero interest in LOI and the Scottish PL for varying reasons. The standard of football has nothing to do with it as I regularly watch Junior Soccer games.

So will I be making an effort to attend the LOI games? Absolutely not. I will continue to enjoy Junior soccer in Ireland.

Gave off the vibe it was from people online. Where do you get the vibe from then?

I support Leeds Utd (:o) too, just don't go to matches there cos of Bates being in charge. I also respect and prefer clubs in other foreign leagues.

Care to elaborate on having zero interest in the LOI? Just so I can see further where you're coming from. Why the mention of Scotland too? If you live miles away from a ground then fair enough, I'm lucky to be half-way between two LOI clubs so I go every alternating week.

If you keep going to see a band, it doesn't mean the standard of bands will improve or the musicians wont leave to join better bands in England. Silly comparison.

I understand that is the concept, but it is fallacious.
    This seems to be an idea that wont go away. When did the definition of football fan change from football people who are actively involved in football to something else exactly? Was it when Sky came on the scene?

Surely if you like football (i.e. a football fan) you enjoy watching football matches? By all acounts the Norweigians and Swedes are as obsessed with the English Premier League as we are in Ireland yet their own national leagues are reasonably healthy and have healthy attendances. This is despite the standard being way poorer than the EPL they watch on TV every weekend. Why do they attend their own league's matches I wonder? In fact why do people in England attend games in the Championship, League 1 or 2 when the standard isn't as good as the nearest premier league team? Sure why do any fans worldwide go to any football matches unless their team is in the premier league, serie A or La liga?

I never said footballs fans don't enjoy watching football matches.

In Ireland the reality is most people have no interest in the local football league.

But many people have an interest in the local GAA league.

We are culturally different to the Norwegians and Swedes and the English. Just because they do something doesn't mean we should too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

gavredking wrote: »
    I personally wont anyway even though I live only about 4,5 KM's from Turner's Cross.

I've probably been to about 12 games since I was 11. Last game was 2 seasons ago when a few buddies were going to a game against Waterford Utd AFAIR and said I'd go along.

That would be my level of interest in the LoI, its only very very casual, on the other hand I dont mock or make jibes towards LoI supporters or clubs, each to their own and all that.

I do go to Avondale United (MSL) games though.

Nothing wrong with that at all.

You support club in Ireland.

Fair play

We are culturally different to the Norwegians and Swedes and the English. Just because they do something doesn't mean we should too.
    So we are different to countries whose fans support football by going to games and we certainly shouldnt be expected to, but we are all still real fans anyway. Theres a difference but there is no difference. Its all getting a bit existential in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

I regularly goto watch my local junior side play.
    I will try to make an effort to go watch City at the Cross. I did for many years but dropped off he last few cos of other commitments.

Although the last time I went they wouldnt take my money. A cup match and I got out of work late , there were 20 of us outside, 40 mins into hte match, literally with money waving in our hands, and the muppet on the gate said he couldnt let us in until half time at whihc stage there would be no cost.
    We said we wanted to pay to support the club and didnt mind having missed the first half, just let us in, but no he was doing his job and couldnt take any money off us and could only let us in for free at half time. I miss the LOI humour more than the football.

CiaranC wrote: »
    So we are different to countries whose fans support football by going to games and we certainly shouldnt be expected to, but we are all still real fans anyway. Theres a difference but there is no difference. Its all getting a bit existential in here.

I would have said the above as follows:

Other countries have better supported soccer leagues than Ireland, however Ireland has a fairly well supported GAA league. This is a cultural difference as GAA is primarily only supported by those with a strong link to Ireland and Irish culture.

Nobody should be expected to support their local soccer team. Whether or not they attend local matches does not make them a "better" or "worse" soccer fan, but if you do not support your local league it is fair to say you are not a fan of your local league. However you are still a soccer fan.

[controversial]I get the feeling many of the people who say real soccer fans support their local team do so out of a false sense of superiority. My opinion as to why they need to do this is too controversial even if I use these lovely controversial tags.[/controversial]

But really I don't care. People should be allowed do whatever they want (assuming legal...) without other people looking down on them or calling them names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

By the way, LOI fans on these threads and other message boards should change their attitude because they come across as a right bunch of w*nkers at times. Their posts have a snarl to them. Instead of slagging people off for not going to LOI games, they should be trying to get them to go to LOI games.

It's a bit like Dunnes Stores bringing out an advertisement campaign along the lines of "what are you's shopping at Tesco for you's bunch of West Brits! Shop at the Irish stores, you pr!cks. Call yourselves shoppers?? :rolleyes::rolleyes:"

[controversial]I get the feeling many of the people who say real soccer fans support their local team do so out of a false sense of superiority. My opinion as to why they need to do this is too controversial even if I use these lovely controversial tags.[/controversial]

Ah go on. Use double tags if you must.

Personally, I do think there's a false sense of superiority inherent in fan culture, whether it's football, films, music or whatever. 'Oh I like this band, you've probably never heard of them. Oh you have? Well, I follow them around the dingiest clubs in the country like a half-starved puppy. Do you? No? HOW CAN YOU CALL YOURSELF A FAN?!'

I go to LOI games now because it's good fun, the football is often entertaining, and I think it's good to have a strong domestic league. Not because I think you need to see football in person to be a real fan (though it adds to the experience).

However, I can completely understand how people are turned off by the attitudes of some LOI fans. The other week, there was a really condescending article in the Shamrock Rovers programme about 'barstoolers' - what the hell is a first-time attendee going to make of that attitude?

Whenever I read 'barstooler' in someone's post, I substitute the phrase 'I'm a judgemental, backwards-elitist numpty'.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, I support Newcastle also. Bohs off to an early lead. Northside suits me better too.

I like away days in Dayler, I like their spirit, the banter at half time and the young fellows on the pitch at half time. I know the support in the Jodi stand is waining, however the game a couple of weeks ago was decent even managed to get a mate who is a bohs fan over to the Des Kelly stand with us away fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Will support my local team who are msl and fai cup teams. Nearest is waterford utd about an hour away in a different county in a city so they've plenty of people to support em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

monkey9 wrote: »
    By the way, LOI fans on these threads and other message boards should change their attitude because they come across as a right bunch of w*nkers at times. Their posts have a snarl to them. Instead of slagging people off for not going to LOI games, they should be trying to get them to go to LOI games.

It's a bit like Dunnes Stores bringing out an advertisement campaign along the lines of "what are you's shopping at Tesco for you's bunch of West Brits! Shop at the Irish stores, you pr!cks. Call yourselves shoppers?? :rolleyes::rolleyes:"

I hear ya.

I support Cork City, but there are times I be afraid to express my views on LOI at times in case you get usual few having a go. TBF though most LOI fans on boards are decent and are no worse then any other fans. Even when have digs with e.g Shels fans I find them to know their stuff and no problem with them and can have conversation without going downhill all of sudden.

However what annoyed me was going through old threads about Shamrock Rovers in Europe, and about other clubs in financial difficulty. Some fans having real digs at the Irish fans at Euros were same fans that either wanted a club they disliked to go out of business, or wanted Rovers to get battered in Europe, and yet they want others to support the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

As someone who grew up in England, supporting an English team for years, who then spent time travelling across the water to watch games as a 'fan', even making a European Cup final, I can honestly say that if you are Irish, and living in Ireland, and you do not support football in this country, you are not a real football fan. You can spin it and argue it however many ways you want, but the truth is, most people kind of like football and prefer the shiny, polished version for sale across the water. The Irish football team has just failed miserably, the youth system and LOI is dying on its knees. If anyone has any interest whatsoever in the Irish team or Irish football, the game in THIS country needs to be supported. End of story.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    I like away days in Dayler, I like their spirit, the banter at half time and the young fellows on the pitch at half time. I know the support in the Jodi stand is waining, however the game a couple of weeks ago was decent even managed to get a mate who is a bohs fan over to the Des Kelly stand with us away fans.

Has Dalyer been getting bad attendences this season?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Before this season, I had been to maybe 4 or 5 LOI games in my lifetime. Living in Meath, I had absolutely zero connections with any LOI team whatsoever which made it difficult to make the effort to go out of my way to see a game.

This season, I moved out to UCD for college and seeing as the Bowl is a 5 minute walk from my house I decided to go. Now I've been to all home games this season as well as a handful of away games. And, to be honest, despite UCD now being bottom of the league, the quality of football that they play is surprisingly high and it's definitely more enjoyable than a lot of the Ireland games I've seen.
    So now that I feel I've a connection to UCD, even when I move away, I will still probably make an effort to get to as many games as I can. But I certainly wouldn't necessarily look down on those who don't go LOI games for reasons I outlined above.

Would be nice if just for once one of these threads could progress smoothly without somebody breaking into tears at length about how they are perceived by others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

In my experience, it is the people who make a trip across the water a few times a year with cameras in hand as tourists and come back laden with junk from the shop and are replica jerseyed up are the ones with the superiorty complex. I say this as someone who got tired of witnessing the hypocrisy of it all on a regular basis. I should add, I know there are a good number of people who make a lot of trips over to England each year at great expense and this is great. But to suggest that they are football fans just doesn't wash with me.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Has Dalyer been getting bad attendences this season?

Couldn't say, I usually only there for Sligo Rovers games so over the past 6/8 seasons it was higher that it was the last 2 seasons. Sometimes been to Shams/Bohs games a few years ago apart from that.

I don't ever remember ads at half time saying the bar has premium level beers now in stock. Bohs are going through a hard time and need the support, just like a lot of other teams.

I'm not very good at guessing attendances outside of the showgrounds so wouldn't like to guess how many was at the Bohs v Sligo a few weeks ago, I actually thought their would be less at it.

the waining comment is a combination of seeing less since the glory days and from comments from people I know who support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Before this season, I had been to maybe 4 or 5 LOI games in my lifetime. Living in Meath, I had absolutely zero connections with any LOI team whatsoever which made it difficult to make the effort to go out of my way to see a game.

This season, I moved out to UCD for college and seeing as the Bowl is a 5 minute walk from my house I decided to go. Now I've been to all home games this season as well as a handful of away games. And, to be honest, despite UCD now being bottom of the league, the quality of football that they play is surprisingly high and it's definitely more enjoyable than a lot of the Ireland games I've seen.
    So now that I feel I've a connection to UCD, even when I move away, I will still probably make an effort to get to as many games as I can. But I certainly wouldn't necessarily look down on those who don't go LOI games for reasons I outlined above.

UCD play a great style of football, Paul O'Connor is a smashing player.

Other countries have better supported soccer leagues than Ireland, however Ireland has a fairly well supported GAA league. This is a cultural difference as GAA is primarily only supported by those with a strong link to Ireland.

The only hole in this theory is that GAA supporters are very often huge fans of the EPL as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Its the ones who say "LOI is ****e" but have no problem going to the Aviva or Eueo 2012 to watch Trappatoni's Ireland who annoy me. The "style" of football is anti-football, plus I'd be genuinely annoyed if I heard Rovers had signed Green or Whelan. Wouldn't be best pleased if they signed Andrews, Gibson or McGeady either.

I know there are a good number of people who make a lot of trips over to England each year at great expense and this is great. But to suggest that they are football fans just doesn't wash with me.

I don't mean this in a hostile way, but how are they not football fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

If someone goes to a venue to watch a game they are a 'football follower' if someone watches a match on TV they are a 'TV Viewer'.

But football followers do watch matches on TV. And TV Viewers have been spotted at football venues.

The opening post has erred, Monaghan Utd. are not 'shutting down'. No where did it say that Mons were shutting down, but this is part of the wrong or partially accurate information of Message Boards.

On the side discussion
    League of Ireland will continue to survive the temporary, capricious arguments from some loud LoI fans. In my experience the ranters on MB's don't last very long and retire from football watching/ football mouthing-off after a small number of seasons. I ask intending fans of the League of Ireland to take the positives of football following and enjoy the matches you attend.

There is a 'superior authority' complex from LoI fans. It's partly defensive against the success of the popularity of the game in England. And then it follows LoI fans end of sounding like they are anti-English. Also, there is a contradictory nature running through long-standing discussions. Hate clubs shown on TV, Love FC Barcelona. Hate Athletics tracks like Billy Morton Stadium, Love the Rome Derby at the Stadio Olympico, it's the same sized pitch. Love Terracing and wish it to return (safe standing), Hate the terracing at Billy Morton Stadium.
    Some of that is the natural contradictory nature of individual opinion and some of it can't be defended.

Regarding 'barstoolers'. It has become a term to describe everybody else that doesn't go to a game and is very dangerous, insular attitude. It's not used to allow access to new fans.
    However, in smaller communities outside of Dublin (e.g. Longford and Dundalk)
    followers of the local sides get a bit more negativity just by going to the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

I cant wait for the games to resume . Drogs play Bray on fri and then dundalk in the cup on mon . Really looking forward to it as it missed it big time over the last few weeks .TBH i dont care about any of you who dont attend LOI games anymore , i used to give to much negative energy to the subject but not anymore , if you want to come along and experience the pleasure of seeing your Local team playing in your town then do , if not then enjoy watching overpaid millionaires diving around a pitch in a city you have never been to . The choice is yours ... CMON the Drogs ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement