Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will you make an effort with the LOI this season? **MOD WARNING POST #9**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Go to about 10 Bohs games a season and will be bringing my son to more when he gets a bit older, the standards ok, obviously some matches better than others but you can say that about any league, been to plenty of liverpool matches that have been boring as hell to sit through, i suppose it all boils down to atmosphere, i think thats the key here for clubs to promote atmosphere and now is the time to do it as peoples imaginations have been stirred by euro 2012.

Also change all matchs to sundays as fridays are stressfull to get to games with longer working hours these days and the hassle of competing with parking etc with busy pub nights, Saturdays are hard to compete with for too many reasons.

Sundays 3 oclock kick off, everyone knows this is LOI time and can plan for it, the amount of people who dont know when LOI games take place is crazy, if you change it to sunday kick of time 3 oclock i would say within a period of time attendences would double.

Also the guys with the banners last night, not helping just made the league look like a two man and a dog protest also if you want more people to come its best not to start slagging them as they are the very ones who could transform the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You can see dreamer's point to an extent. The sheer breadth and complexity of excuses for not going is testament to that.

One or two have become converts which is great and worth something but I think the idea that a lot will, failing a big upturn in the leagues fortunes, is fanciful, sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

monkey9 wrote: »
    It's a bit like Dunnes Stores bringing out an advertisement campaign along the lines of "what are you's shopping at Tesco for you's bunch of West Brits! Shop at the Irish stores, you pr!cks. Call yourselves shoppers?? :rolleyes::rolleyes:"
    Catchier than "Every little helps" anyway.

I would say some of the comments from some posters on here would discourage rather than encourage certain people to attend LOI matches tbh.

There's decent LOI fans but it's the bitter ones that dominate most of the discussions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I would say some of the comments from some posters on here would discourage rather than encourage certain people to attend LOI matches tbh.

There's decent LOI fans but it's the bitter ones that dominate most of the discussions.

Do you not understand why people are pissed off though?

Maybe the FAI need to look into counseling hotlines to help people through the pain of it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

No, I wont be attending any LOI matches this season nor will I be making an effort. I will though be playing for and supporting my local club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

stovelid wrote: »
    Maybe the FAI need to look into counseling hotlines to help people through the pain of it all.

This kind of proves the point

I get what LOI fans are saying as im sure most of the other fans do but why deliver it in this sort of manner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

billybudd wrote: »
    Go to about 10 Bohs games a season and will be bringing my son to more when he gets a bit older, the standards ok, obviously some matches better than others but you can say that about any league, been to plenty of liverpool matches that have been boring as hell to sit through, i suppose it all boils down to atmosphere, i think thats the key here for clubs to promote atmosphere and now is the time to do it as peoples imaginations have been stirred by euro 2012.

Also change all matchs to sundays as fridays are stressfull to get to games with longer working hours these days and the hassle of competing with parking etc with busy pub nights, Saturdays are hard to compete with for too many reasons.

Sundays 3 oclock kick off, everyone knows this is LOI time and can plan for it, the amount of people who dont know when LOI games take place is crazy, if you change it to sunday kick of time 3 oclock i would say within a period of time attendences would double.

Also the guys with the banners last night, not helping just made the league look like a two man and a dog protest also if you want more people to come its best not to start slagging them as they are the very ones who could transform the league.

Sunday at three kick offs wouldn't work. No point trying to compete with Sky Super Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

CiaranC wrote: »
    One? Thats the league saved so

That type of attitude is what we need:rolleyes:

1 is better the 0. Its a start. Things aint going happen overnight.

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote: »
    No, I wont be attending any LOI matches this season nor will I be making an effort. I will though be playing for and supporting my local club.

Fair play, and you are as much of a fan of football in this country as any LOI fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Fair play, and you are as much of a fan of football in this country as any LOI fan.
    Why lie? I mean I wouldn't see the point in attacking this lads post either but...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Sunday at three kick offs wouldn't work. No point trying to compete with Sky Super Sunday.

Also from Febuary to September you will be in direct competition with GAA games

Felexicon wrote: »

Also from Febuary to September you will be in direct competition with GAA games
    Yeah Friday nights is fine I think

This kind of proves the point

I get what LOI fans are saying as im sure most of the other fans do but why deliver it in this sort of manner?

There really is only so much you can hear of grown adults - that have no intention of attending a domestic game in a blue moon - claiming that negative opinion on the internet is stopping them from becoming hardcore fans. I mean, come on. Give it a break. People can choose what they do and do not choose to do but let's stay within the bounds of incredulity here.

I note that the deep sensitivity to internet opinion only seems to apply to LOI because the modus operandi of EPL threads in here seems to be constant wind up.

Is that not part of the problem, hiding from other sports as opposed to competing with them? now is a good time to do it as well as watching sky sports is very expensive for 1 and number 2 with the way epl is gone its lost alot of supporters in England so maybe its open to losing some here, as for GAA its only some weekends and they certainly do not hide from the EPL.

Another point is that it is right that kids are the future but if you want to gain support quicker then targeting girls/women to support local clubs should be introduced as an immediate marketing tool, its worked very well for rugby and GAA.

Another point would be to open LOI/FAI shops in citys and big towns giving info, selling brands of each teams, childrens depts, car depts etc etc, selling tickets for LOI & national teams.

People can choose what they do and do not choose to do .

Exactly :)

Is that not part of the problem, hiding from other sports as opposed to competing with them? now is a good time to do it as well as watching sky sports is very expensive for 1 and number 2 with the way epl is gone its lost alot of supporters in England so maybe its open to losing some here, as for GAA its only some weekends and they certainly do not hide from the EPL.

Another point is that it is right that kids are the future but if you want to gain support quicker then targeting girls/women to support local clubs should be introduced as an immediate marketing tool, its worked very well for rugby and GAA.

Another point would be to open LOI/FAI shops in citys and big towns giving info, selling brands of each teams, childrens depts, car depts etc etc, selling tickets for LOI & national teams.
    No point putting the matches on at a time that would have weaker attendances than what we already have.

A shop like that would be great, but it would almost certainly close down in no time due to lack of business. That sort of thing is definitely something that could happen if the interest started to develop, but it wouldn't make the interest develop.

CSF wrote: »
    No point putting the matches on at a time that would have weaker attendances than what we already have.

A shop like that would be great, but it would almost certainly close down in no time due to lack of business. That sort of thing is definitely something that could happen if the interest started to develop, but it wouldn't make the interest develop.

Yes sure thats what i mean by developing the brand, i dont mean open shops tomorrow and hope for the best.

As for 3pm sunday kick off i dont see why it would be, it would need time to work obviously but what your building up is a day of the week when most families spend togeather so you could pontentially get families coming x 2 kids and 2 adults, 2 adults pay but 1 free child per adult.

anyway its just ideas.

• Advertisement

Also seeing as you cannot have a national team witout a national league then offering LOI fans first choice on tickets not just for quailifiers but for tournaments would be a good incentive based on season ticket holders from LOI clubs.

There really is only so much you can hear of grown adults - that have no intention of attending a domestic game in a blue moon - claiming that negative opinion on the internet is stopping them from becoming hardcore fans. I mean, come on. Give it a break. People can choose what they do and do not choose to do but let's stay within the bounds of incredulity here.

I note that the deep sensitivity to internet opinion only seems to apply to LOI because the modus operandi of EPL threads in here seems to be constant wind up.

Granted theres a case of man up to be said and not to take things to heart but again if you are responding why not try and be positive instead of being really defensive?

Granted theres a case of man up to be said and not to take things to heart but again if you are responding why not try and be positive instead of being really defensive?

I do in general but there's a definite trend on these threads where everybody is supposed to tiptoe around and not alienate potential supporters who are actually as potential a bunch of domestic matchgoers as my cat. :)

I do in general but there's a definite trend on these threads where everybody is supposed to tiptoe around and not alienate potential supporters who are actually as potential a bunch of domestic matchgoers as my cat. :)

I dunno. Maybe I just see it differently. Put it this way, it can't help right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I dunno. Maybe I just see it differently. Put it this way, it can't help right?

It also depends on the non LOI poster in question, if someone genuinely has a bit of interest they will find plenty of people willing to help them, if they clearly have no interest then no matter what is written on here will change their minds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Some people need to hop the fence and look at things from a new perspective. You'll never convince me or 90% of LOI fans to start attending the EPL religiously, so why expect them the lads on the other side to do the same?

What needs to be promoted is the very alien idea to most EPL supporters that you can have an Irish team to support as well as an English. You can still buy your jersey and have your little match day holiday once a season, as well as going to let's say Tolka every second Friday and even making the odd away trip.

• Advertisement

Some people need to hop the fence and look at things from a new perspective. You'll never convince me or 90% of LOI fans to start attending the EPL religiously, so why expect them the lads on the other side to do the same?

What needs to be promoted is the very alien idea to most EPL supporters that you can have an Irish team to support as well as an English. You can still buy your jersey and have your little match day holiday once a season, as well as going to let's say Tolka every second Friday and even making the odd away trip.
    What I think people fail to grasp is that not everyone who disagrees with someone who doesn't go to games, is specifically trying to convince that person into going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Also seeing as you cannot have a national team witout a national league then offering LOI fans first choice on tickets not just for quailifiers but for tournaments would be a good incentive based on season ticket holders from LOI clubs.

We used to, i stopped going to ireland matches when i couldnt get them via St pats.

2002 qualifiers were my last matches.

In the local media I've never seen any promotional material by any LOI club, ever. Sadly the alienation of irish football fans being ingrained from a young age will continue for as long as these clubs dont try to inspire people, dont try to involve them on some sort of level.

I rather spend my money and time helping my local club reach its potential, a club that through hard work more so than anything else has surpassed all expectations and I've seen its plans for the future, I rather be part of that, even if its only a bit role, than anything to do with the LOI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Supported Finn Harps for years but had a reason to as I knew some of the players. I regularly attended their away games in Dublin back in the late '70s and all through the '80s. I became disillusioned with the game when the historic Glenmalure Park was sold and Shamrock Rovers were made homeless. When the same Louis Kilcoyne became President of the FAI it was just too much for me to take and I said I'd never have anything to do with the league again.

Theres nothing to attract me to the league now anyways. I live in a county where there is no team. I would never go and support a team in a neighbouring county as I have a sporting dislike for people from these counties that I cannot let go. I'd feel dirty following one of those teams.
    I've said before that the whole league needs to be restructured to get the best out of it. Bring country rivalry into it, have less teams in the capital and give the ones that are left the opportunity to grow into big clubs. There needs to be a lot more teams covering all the country.

The GAA can get crowds of 10000 supporters for a early round Championship in the middle of nowhere. The FAI need to follow their lead. It will take years but it will work and make Ireland a better place to play football. It will also mean that development of younger players will improve in this country. If there was a team in my county I'd make it my business to be at all their home games and spread the word and get other people there.

As things stand I won't be supporting the league. I'll be spending my money taking a couple of trips to Blackburn and Bilbao.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Supported Finn Harps for years but had a reason to as I knew some of the players. I regularly attended their away games in Dublin back in the late '70s and all through the '80s. I became disillusioned with the game when the historic Glenmalure Park was sold and Shamrock Rovers were made homeless. When the same Louis Kilcoyne became President of the FAI it was just too much for me to take and I said I'd never have anything to do with the league again.

Theres nothing to attract me to the league now anyways. I live in a county where there is no team. I would never go and support a team in a neighbouring county as I have a sporting dislike for people from these counties that I cannot let go. I'd feel dirty following one of those teams.
    I've said before that the whole league needs to be restructured to get the best out of it. Bring country rivalry into it, have less teams in the capital and give the ones that are left the opportunity to grow into big clubs. There needs to be a lot more teams covering all the country.

The GAA can get crowds of 10000 supporters for a early round Championship in the middle of nowhere. The FAI need to follow their lead. It will take years but it will work and make Ireland a better place to play football. It will also mean that development of younger players will improve in this country. If there was a team in my county I'd make it my business to be at all their home games and spread the word and get other people there.

As things stand I won't be supporting the league. I'll be spending my money taking a couple of trips to Blackburn and Bilbao.

Monaghan, Kildare, Kilkenny and Galway all go against the theory that people will get behind county teams. Sligo, Limerick, Cork, Waterford and Derry aren't getting the support you would expect going by your post either compared to non county teams like Bohs, Rovers, Pats etc.

• Advertisement

bohsman wrote: »
    Monaghan, Kildare, Kilkenny and Galway all go against the theory that people will get behind county teams. Sligo, Limerick, Cork, Waterford and Derry aren't getting the support you would expect going by your post either compared to non county teams like Bohs, Rovers, Pats etc.

The LOI is basically just a cities of ireland league with the majority coming from Dublin. Its self restricting through no real fault of its own

Enjoy the game last night?

Regardless of the result, it was an entertaining game. Fairly happy paying 15 quid to see that every week.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Enjoy the game last night?

Regardless of the result, it was an entertaining game. Fairly happy paying 15 quid to see that every week.

Following the league from afar at the mo unfortunately, sick following that on extratime updates. On the bright side the weathers good.

Following the league from afar at the mo unfortunately, sick following that on extratime updates. On the bright side the weathers good.

Shame Rossiter was commentating with us last night, for future bohs reference.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/st-pats-live-commentary

We cover every pats game.

Shame Rossiter was commentating with us last night, for future bohs reference.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/st-pats-live-commentary

We cover every pats game.

Cheers, we usually have commentary aswell but doesn't happen as often as it should due to lack of volunteers, forgot Pats had similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I don't get the whole 'the league dosent advertise hugely so I won't go'. Me, personally, went to my first City game in 1998 because a friend asked if I wanted to go. He has since stopped going to games, I have gone to 90% of home games since then and couldn't imagine being without it to be honest. The promotion of the league is poor, but at the end of the day, it's a game of football, not an Xbox game. Go to a game and see if you like it, if not, fair enough, you'd already have done more than a lot of people who bitch about the LOI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Well I'm currently on track for a golden league campaign with Limerick:D

Well I'm currently on track for a golden league campaign with Limerick:D

Same but Euros will **** me over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

This is a good point. I reckon clubs who identify with any particular county will be much more likely to struggle. If somebody were to try start a club somewhere like Kildare, Laois, Carlow or Kilkenny I reckon they would be much better off choosing a name that doesn't represent any specific area, then actively market the club in all surrounding counties as well as the one where it's actually based.
    It's a subconscious thing but if I were to pick a team in the morning, I would feel far more comfortable supporting a team called Shamrock Rovers or Bohemians over a team named after a neighboring county that would be a rival in pretty much everything else, certainly sport.

In the local media I've never seen any promotional material by any LOI club, ever. Sadly the alienation of irish football fans being ingrained from a young age will continue for as long as these clubs dont try to inspire people, dont try to involve them on some sort of level.

I rather spend my money and time helping my local club reach its potential, a club that through hard work more so than anything else has surpassed all expectations and I've seen its plans for the future, I rather be part of that, even if its only a bit role, than anything to do with the LOI.

Well I think that if you support your local team is great and keep it up. I would still love to watch my team I grew up with and played with still, but they dont exist anymore which is shame cause of numbers and players going to the bigger towns playing at higher level.

We could not compete.

• Advertisement

Same but Euros will **** me over again.

I've only missed one of the Euro games this time and that was on Friday. And the next 3 Euro games are on Wednesday,Thursday & Sunday. So won't clash with an of the limerick games:D

I've only missed one of the Euro games this time and that was on Friday. And the next 3 Euro games are on Wednesday,Thursday & Sunday. So won't clash with an of the limerick games:D

I meant the one we in :D yah know Russia Ukraine China type draws we get :p

I meant the one we in :D yah know Russia Ukraine China type draws we get :p

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Play many games on Friday nights ? As I said earlier junior football must be the best supported sport in Ireland.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

If anyone is discouraged from doing ANYTHING because of comments from some faceless person on the internet, they really need to have a good look at themselves.

Play many games on Friday nights ? As I said earlier junior football must be the best supported sport in Ireland.....

I play on astroturf at my local club on friday nights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Was at a few games when I was younger and thought they were rubbish and never bothered.

I'm a bit older and a bit more appreciative of the game at wider levels. I'm thinking of, thinking off, going to a few games this year. ( my previous experience has been three games)

I've friends who go to Bohemian matches, but to be honest, I've little or no like or allegiance to anyone, so might just hit up whoever is convenient to get to and see what its like.

Living in Swords, whose the most local? ( pity about the very handy Fingal whatever)

TheDoc wrote: »
    Was at a few games when I was younger and thought they were rubbish and never bothered.

I'm a bit older and a bit more appreciative of the game at wider levels. I'm thinking of, thinking off, going to a few games this year. ( my previous experience has been three games)

I've friends who go to Bohemian matches, but to be honest, I've little or no like or allegiance to anyone, so might just hit up whoever is convenient to get to and see what its like.

Living in Swords, whose the most local? ( pity about the very handy Fingal whatever)
    Shelbourne, all the 41 buses go by Tolka aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Yeah, if you're from Swords, Shels are your team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Doc, you can come with me Flexicon and PhlegmyMoses to Shels.

Advertisement