Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will you make an effort with the LOI this season? **MOD WARNING POST #9**

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Des wrote: »
    Doc, you can come with me Flexicon and PhlegmyMoses to Shels...

... and become a bitter, jaded, shell of a man too.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

I'm in Dublin about 7 years now, went to Shels games with a couple of mates who followed them. Lived near Dalymount for a bit, so went to Bohs games. Went with an ex gf who was mad into St Pats to a few Pats games too.
    Felt nothing for any of them, to me they are Dublin clubs playing against mostly other Dublin clubs. I'm not from Dublin, I can't suddenly feel something for a team just cos I live near them or whatever.

Only time i can feel something and get behind the LOI clubs are when they are playing in Europe. Then its Ireland vs whoever...so i reallly want them to win.

I will head to Inchicore to see Pats vs IBK, as that will mean something to me....its Ireland vs Iceland. Pats vs Bohs to me is just Dublin vs Dublin...i don't care who wins!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

eagle eye wrote: »
    Theres nothing to attract me to the league now anyways. I live in a county where there is no team. I would never go and support a team in a neighbouring county as I have a sporting dislike for people from these counties that I cannot let go. I'd feel dirty following one of those teams.

Not even Harps. You can support a club without even stepping foot in the county..I bought a Harps lotto ticket last Christmas without going anywhere near Donegal. Rovers have members/season ticket holders/owners in Australia, USA, Germany, Italy, England, Portugal..at least some who've never been to Tallaght yet.
    If anyone is discouraged from doing ANYTHING because of comments from some faceless person on the internet, they really need to have a good look at themselves.

Even the grumpy Shels lads here are actually harmless :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

they are having a good discussion now on MNS about the crowds, facilities, the money spent etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think Roddy made a very valid point about whether the LOI is a good night out compared to the competition i.e Provincial rugby, gaa, horse racing etc. There's been many a time over the last few years when I've been to the Leopardstown summer fest on Thursday and then to Tolka Park the next night (both €15 each). Give me Leopardstown any day and that's coming from somebody who's been going to see Shels regularly over 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I think Roddy made a very valid point about whether the LOI is a good night out compared to the competition i.e Provincial rugby, gaa, horse racing etc. There's been many a time over the last few years when I've been to the Leopardstown summer fest on Thursday and then to Tolka Park the next night (both €15 each). Give me Leopardstown any day and that's coming from somebody who's been going to see Shels regularly over 10 years.

do ye agree with their claim that the money that was supposed to go on facility development went on player wages?

for me, problem number one over the past 10 years has the amount of money that was given to players, the financial problems that have destroyed the league stem from here, amongest other things of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Tolka is a poor reflection on the league alright.

Remember bringing couple of housemates there when I was living in Dublin. They could accept the average ball but the facilities were awful. No lights in the jacks if I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

do ye agree with their claim that the money that was supposed to go on facility development went on player wages?

for me, problem number one over the past 10 years has the amount of money that was given to players, the financial problems that have destroyed the league stem from here, amongest other things of course.

I couldnt tell you about facility development tbh but our clubs have been over paying players drastically, although that was supposedly stopped when the licensing came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Tolka is a poor reflection on the league alright.

Remember bringing couple of housemates there when I was living in Dublin. They could accept the average ball but the facilities were awful. No lights in the jacks if I remember.

The sad thing about it is it was probably the best ground 15 years ago. Looks great in this video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

TheDoc wrote: »
    Was at a few games when I was younger and thought they were rubbish and never bothered.

I'm a bit older and a bit more appreciative of the game at wider levels. I'm thinking of, thinking off, going to a few games this year. ( my previous experience has been three games)

I've friends who go to Bohemian matches, but to be honest, I've little or no like or allegiance to anyone, so might just hit up whoever is convenient to get to and see what its like.

Living in Swords, whose the most local? ( pity about the very handy Fingal whatever)

If you want to get into the LOI, come down to Dalymount on Friday night. Bohs - Rovers. You're not going to get any other match in Ireland to rival the atmosphere at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Madworld wrote: »
    If you want to get into the LOI, come down to Dalymount on Friday night. Bohs - Rovers. You're not going to get any other match in Ireland to rival the atmosphere at them.
    Don't listen to him, its a trap...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Madworld wrote: »

I second this. If you give any game a go, it should be this one. People will say its heated and fierce... but that's what a derby should be! I promise that you'll get more noise and emotion at this than than you will anywhere else on this island. But dont confuse the passion with anything sinister. Thankfully, most of that element has gone away.

So go on, while the Euro 2012 buzz is just about wearing off for the Boys in Green, see that it exists season-in season-out right here at home. Even if you don't get hooked, you'll definitely enjoy the craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Omackeral wrote: »
    I second this. If you give any game a go, it should be this one. People will say its heated and fierce... but that's what a derby should be! I promise that you'll get more noise and emotion at this than than you will anywhere else on this island. But dont confuse the passion with anything sinister. Thankfully, most of that element has gone away.

So go on, while the Euro 2012 buzz is just about wearing off for the Boys in Green, see that it exists season-in season-out right here at home. Even if you don't get hooked, you'll definitely enjoy the craic.

Try Linfield v Glentoran in Belfast . Makes the bohs v rovers thing look like childs play at times :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

woops wrong thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Try Linfield v Glentoran in Belfast . Makes the bohs v rovers thing look like childs play at times :eek::eek:

Well thanks for that but I'm basing my opinion on the derby that's relevant to our League with the hopes of maybe encouraging someone who may be on the cusp of attending or who is curious. Besides, there's a more sinister element to that particular fixture you've mentioned, in my opinion.

Advertisement