Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a yorkshire terrier, questions re: registration

• 19-06-2012 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭

Hope I can get some advice here, girlfriend wants a yorkshire terrier (in a hurry!) so I'm getting one this week some time. We have both always had dogs in parents house, she had a yorkshire before so knows the breed well and we have time to look after it well so no issue there. My question is what do sellers mean when they say the dog is registered? I presume this means registered with IKC, but what benefits does this give over non registered? Also, what is a pet passport?

Also, what price should a yorkshire cost? So many questions!!

This is link to one we might look at, she seems to like it.

Any other info greatly appreciated too

<mod snip>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ok for a start please stay well clear of donedeal for dogs!!

Also that ad is well dodgy, selling mini yorkies, sorry but theres no such thing so that breeder is def not responsible or trustworthy!!!

Please dont buy a pup in a hurry, you wouldnt buy a car in a hurry so why buy a living creature in a hurry??

You need to do lots of research and get a reputable breeder recommended that health tests their dogs before breeding.

IKC means they parents are registered with the Kennel Club so therefore the pups can be then registered. It means nothing more than a piece of paper that shows who the owner/breeder is and the pedigree line of your pup, thats it.

Please please dont rush into buy a dog from donedeal, its full of back yard breeders and puppy farmers and to be perfectly honest that ad screams of that so stay well clear!!!

Contact the IKC for a list of reputable responsible breeders that breed healthy, well bred dogs.

A pup should cost in the region of 400-600 i would imagine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Miniature yorkie? Registered?
    I'd be inclined to steer away from breeders who lie in their ads. One cannot register a dog as a Miniature Yorkshire Terrier because, as far as the kennel club is concerned, the breed does not exist.
    I can't see any kennel club accepting stunted yorkies as a breed any time soon due to the abusive nature of producing stunted, miniaturized dogs. Stunted dogs have far more health issues, and I find they suffer far more from nervousness and fearfulness, which are very difficult emotions to deal with in a dog.
    Act in haste, repent at leisure. Sourcing a dog (from a dishonest advertiser) on a website with renowned welfare concerns regarding how the advertised dogs are produced, is a risky business, and it is more likely you're buying from, and funding, a puppy farmer or, just as bad but more likely, a back yard breeder.
    Take a deep breath, be prepared to wait for a decision that's going to affect you for the next 12+ years, and go by the proper channels. Contact the Yorkie breed society and find a good breeder of the proper sized, unstunted, recognised breed.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

If you are looking at the add I was looking at, this person has 2 litters of pups for sale. One today and one a few days ago. Both different prices. Definitely a back yard breeder.

Advertisement