Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Publicity Seeking or Mourning?

• 19-06-2012 9:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

So I’m sure most people in here and online have heard of the death of the English cricketer Tom Maynard. Was reading about it during my usual brain chewing gum browse through the DM “stories” and “headlines”. Now I was reading down through it and blah blah blah long story short I seen the following screen shot from his Girlfriends twitter account.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/06/18/article-2161032-13ABA3C9000005DC-773_634x314.jpg

For those on phones or can’t see images the text reads
    My beautiful boyfriend Tom Maynard. I can’t cope with this. I love you always and forever. You mean everything to me
    We will always be together. I love you Tom x
    You’re the most special man I have ever met. You made me the happiest girl. I love you always X

Now please don’t get me wrong but if I lost the love of my life the very last thing I would think of doing would be tweeting about it. I know that she is in the public spotlight and so was he so I can understand SOME social network comment asking for privacy etc and possibly handled by a PR agency.

It reminds me of this thread about the Sindo a year ago and it seems to be a way to get publicity for her modeling career?

Or am I just getting paranoid?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I don't really see the problem.
    No different from people putting those poems in the newspaper and so on. Horses for courses and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I don't really see the problem.
    No different from people putting those poems in the newspaper and so on. Horses for courses and all that.

I can understand things in papers, I know some of my family (usally the older ones) that look through these to see if anyone that they know/knew passed away and also is almost a reminder of anniversarys.

but twitter is like a soapbox for people shouting out to the world

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The death of a loved one must have knocked her for six.

But posting about it on twitter is just not cricket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

One doesn't exclude the other.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I think you are reading more into it than there is. A lot of people use their status updates for such things. It's just how the medium of mass communication is going these days.

• Advertisement

danniemcq wrote: »
    I can understand things in papers, I know some of my family (usally the older ones) that look through these to see if anyone that they know/knew passed away and also is almost a reminder of anniversarys.

but twitter is like a soapbox for people shouting out to the world

Some people can't take a piss without telling the world about it. I have a cousin who has full blown conversations, arguments even, with her kids via facebook while they are all in the same house, sometimes on the same sofa!
    Having a loved one die seems a big enough event to talk about online if you're that way inclined? Wouldn't be me, but i also wouldn't think it strange in this day and age.

Up in heaven, they have wifi spots everywhere, and they also have twitter stations everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

If she wasn't posting such things I'd bet she'd have people calling her a callous yada yada yada...

It seems like second nature for people to post whatever they are thinking even if thinking is being used loosely. Definitely more merit in what she posted than much of what would be posted on twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I don't think it's fair to judge her - posting on a public forum is leaving herself open to it, but she's obviously in a lot of pain.. it's really tough losing someone you love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I don't think it's fair to judge her - posting on a public forum is leaving herself open to it, but she's obviously in a lot of pain.. it's really tough losing someone you love.

not disagreeing that its tough on someone but reaching for your phone or jumping online seems odd. Like i said earlier i could understand a comment like thanks for the support/asking for privacy.

Maybe its just this day and age

Just checked her out there....she's not bad at all!!:)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Losing someone close to you can leave you all types of confused and set the emotions and rational thought on proverbial roller-coaster rides. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about her looking for publicity at this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I was at a funeral when the brother of deceased was viewing the body. He was texting as he was crying over his brother's body.
    Communication has just taken over in some ways. Some people see followers as friends. It really will effect society and interactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I was at a funeral when the brother of deceased was viewing the body. He was texting as he was crying over his brother's body.
    Communication has just taken over in some ways. Some people see followers as friends. It really will effect society and interactions.

Pure bollix!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The death of a loved one must have knocked her for six.

But posting about it on twitter is just not cricket.

As a mod you should know the boundaries of good taste. A blow like this could really bowl a maiden over.

Klim wrote: »

Pure bollix!!
    It isn't and you weren't there.
    Many strange things at the funeral. His best track suit was dry cleaned to have him in it. He was also buried with a weapon and people watched the body to make sure no one stole anything.

It isn't and you weren't there.
    Many strange things at the funeral. His best track suit was dry cleaned to have him in it. He was also buried with a weapon and people watched the body to make sure no one stole anything.

Buried with a weapon?:confused:
    Was he a gansta?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I've seen people who aren't celebrities doing this sort of thing on social network websites. Just seems to be something people are doing these days.

Not my sort of thing but it doesn't bother me either..

RVP 11 wrote: »

Buried with a weapon?:confused:
    Was he a gansta?
    Some would say that but if anything he was a lackey. It was quite an experience loads of quasi religious things. Angel charms in his pockets a letter in his shoe.
    A wedding with the same group was just something I would never want to experience again.

• Advertisement

Some would say that but if anything he was a lackey. It was quite an experience loads of quasi religious things. Angel charms in his pockets a letter in his shoe.
    A wedding with the same group was just something I would never want to experience again.

A letter in his shoe?:pac:
    Did it say "Gotchya"?

Advertisement