Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running costs of well

Options
  • 19-06-2012 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone shed any light on the running costs of a well?

I presume softening salts, elec for the pump are some costs. Any other running costs?
    How much would salts cost for the year?
    How much would the electricity be for the year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 sky.boy

depending on what the water is like in your area, you may also have to get an extra sediment filter if your water has high iron or other materials. our system cost 1700 to install. salt will cost about 60-100 a year and ive no idea what electricity would cost. have you a well already or are you thinking about drilling one. drilling a well can be costly enough 2 and you need planning permission

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭brdboard

sky.boy wrote: »
    depending on what the water is like in your area, you may also have to get an extra sediment filter if your water has high iron or other materials. our system cost 1700 to install. salt will cost about 60-100 a year and ive no idea what electricity would cost. have you a well already or are you thinking about drilling one. drilling a well can be costly enough 2 and you need planning permission

We are deciding on whether to install a well or use mains water. There Are questions over the pressure in the mains, although the mains may have been upgraded by the time we move in.
    We're just trying to weigh up the running cost and installation costs of a well vs connection fee and guestimation of water charges. Very difficult to put a guess on water charges I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭rayjdav

If you havent yet applied for permission for the house, you will need to let them (coco) know at that point what you intend doing. If there is a supply, you may be hit with the development contribution charge, unless your agent can argue the case for a well.
    The council will argue that the supply is adequate, to their definition btw, so they will not loose out on the revenue.

Re the cost of the well, you don't necessarily need softeners etc etc to use it. A quick sample to the lab when drilled will let you know how hard etc the water is. I, like all my neighbours, have one for years and use none of the additional stuff, just pure freexing cold uisce from the ground.

For domestic use, you do not need permission to drill but as I said above, may be waste of money if mains is there and you be charged for it's use either way........

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Ecobluff

Agree with rayjdav. IMHO its usually better to go for mains supply if its available. Depending on where you are located groundwater quality can vary significantly over time therefore I would always advise that well water is disinfected before use (even if sampling indicates the water is not contaminated) Any other treatment such as softening, iron removal etc should only be put in if analysis (use an independent lab such as the public analyst for your area) shows its required. If you are softening your supply you should ensure you have a non softened feed for drinking. With regard to cost your biggest expense will be drilling which is often impossible to estimate beforehand, discuss with a reputable company who have drilled in the area to get an idea. A good quality UV disinfection system would set you back around €450 and will cost about €100 /yr to run ( lamp replacement + electricity). Hope this helps

Advertisement