Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the difference in working for a VEC and working for the Department?

• 19-06-2012 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I am applying for a VEC job but have been paid by the Department for the past few years. Can anybody tell me what the differences are? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

nothing except in VEC, your money comes from the DEpt through the VEC, whereas in Dept, you get the cash directly.

In theory your employer is not the BOM but the VEC

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The VECs are not religious owned, so in theory, you would be safer from Section 37 in a VEC school. Less nonsense about religious things in general.

In the cities, the religious owned schools are fond of sending children with special needs to the VECs where 'their needs will be better met'. This means there is often more than a fair share of children with difficulties (social and intellectual) in VEC schools.

Payment-wise there is not any discernible difference.

True, the tech in towns tends to have all the troublesome kids (sorry but thats the truth) whereas some VECs are the sole providers in the area so everyone goes there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

One of the other differences with a VEC is that you are employed for a scheme ( City or County VEC area) and can be transferred to any school in the scheme.

This is not the issue it was before redeployment came around. But with amalgamation the area covered by a VEC will be larger and transfer within it could be a big deal. In the redeployment scheme there is a max distance.

If you are in a VEC scheme, all of your consecutive years of service in it can count for a CID regardless of the school as the employer is the same.

The subject you teach and the way you teach it remain the same. Some of my secondary colleagues seem to think that we are falling over huge bundles of money lying around the place in VEC schools.

The VEC schools are non denominational also which makes me wonder what the fascination with educate together is, anyone would think it was a new thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Are VEC schools not Multi-denominational as opposed to non-denominational? I went to a VEC (County Dublin) school which had a chaplain, lenten masses and I think we even once had an evensong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I work in a VEC school that is under a "deed of trust" to a diocese. They have to have representatives on the BOM. We have Catholic instruction in religion class. We have a chaplain. We have a mass for every school event. We have had prayers over the intercom.

Educate Together is a completely different ethos altogether.

That said, I would agree totally with Spurious that overall religion is less important in VEC schools - certainly for staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

Are VEC schools not Multi-denominational as opposed to non-denominational? I went to a VEC (County Dublin) school which had a chaplain, lenten masses and I think we even once had an evensong.

Yeah sorry. We have religion as a subject but no instruction in any religion. At our graduation we have the local catholic and church of Ireland priest person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I work in a VEC school that is under a "deed of trust" to a diocese. They have to have representatives on the BOM.

That's interesting, was the school formed from an amalgamation by any chance?

The paydates can be different. In my present and past job (both VECs), I get paid on the 15th (this is technically a mid-month advance) and last day of the month.

Service in various schools within a scheme counting towards a CID is a definite advantage of being in the VEC system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

That's interesting, was the school formed from an amalgamation by any chance?

I'm not sure. It's nearly 30 years old and is located in a suburban area that is probably not much older than that. I am certain there were no other second level schools here before this one - it would have been the first school in the area and the population would have increased dramatically since then.

ETA: If you google "designated community college" you will see that there are dozens of these type of schools under VEC patronage. In certain VECs (including the largest ones) the majority of schools are "designated" and operating under a deed of trust from a diocese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭doc_17

TheDriver wrote: »
    nothing except in VEC, your money comes from the DEpt through the VEC, whereas in Dept, you get the cash directly.

Is the VEC not the employer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 muirthemne

Also.......you get paid monthly in most VECs as opposed to fortnightly by the Dept.!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭doc_17

Think all VECs pay 24 times per year now. It'd be a very rare one that doesnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

doc_17 wrote: »
    Think all VECs pay 24 times per year now. It'd be a very rare one that doesnt

Kildare vec pay monthly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Kyaaavan, naturally enough, also hold on to your hard-earned money for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 theresalorna

paddy.81 wrote: »
    I am applying for a VEC job but have been paid by the Department for the past few years. Can anybody tell me what the differences are? Thanks.
    TheDriver wrote: »

I worked as a SNA in a non VEC secondary school and when I joined the VECschool my pay was decreased even though I worked the same hours. It seems to me that VEC's get the money from DES and they pay their own rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I worked as a SNA in a non VEC secondary school and when I joined the VECschool my pay was decreased even though I worked the same hours. It seems to me that VEC's get the money from DES and they pay their own rates.

This is not true. There is a set salary scale for teachers and I'm pretty sure for SNAs now (will find the link).

There are a number of reasons why your pay may have decreased - recent cuts, different hours or maybe the VEC don't have you on the correct scale (did you submit evidence of your previous experience and qualifications?)

Edit: Here's the link to the payscales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

That would be illegal.

exactly, there were some other factors there e.g. hours worked or terms of employment. In fact VECs are very straight when it comes to hours etc

Advertisement