Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how much is vrt on 08 diesel A4 roughly..and is worth the hassle

• 19-06-2012 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,
    Im looking to buy in the near future a- used 08 Audi A4 diesel- and have found that (on DoneDeal esp.) that most of them are U.K. reg. I usally avoid them but due to the lack of choice in the republic i find now i have to consider them.

So first, does anyone know ~roughly~ how much it would take to clear a 1.9/ 2.0 Diesel 2008 Audi A4 saloon, and is it worth the hassle?

And second,is there a better car in this class/type? Im hoping to get this right as my 00 toyota corolla 5dr (the rugby ball) isnt getting any younger, solid car has to be said!

Read some great stuff on buying 2nd hand cars round here, must put into practice soon.:)
    Cheers..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 FindingMimo

it used to be about 2/3 grand depending on the extras the car has. No more than 3 anyway. The UK cars generally have more extras than Irish cars so it will probably be worth the hassle considering you'll probably save a few quid plus you'll have a car with all the extras !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

I'm in the same boat OP but I dont know if I could hack having the speedo in miles!

I'm looking for a 08 S Line, none to be had down here (unless you are into crazy mileage) but there seems to be quite a few from the UK.

I'm seriously considering going up North or hopping on a Ferry.

I usually just put all the info I have on the car into this VRT Calculator

https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry/vehicle.html?execution=e3s1

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

If you buy a UK reg. car from a dealer here (it's illegal for non dealer) it's his responsability to pay the VRT, so he should be quoting a sale price that includes VRT.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

They are prime candidates for clocking or cloning. Be thorough in checking any imported car out BEFORE buying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 noelb84

the links provided were a huge help and i forgot that the north is savage for clocking the milage of cars.. the car i was lookn at is E.3400 to clear according to the revenues online calculator!! thats before i change to sterling..hmmmm
    cheers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

noelb84 wrote: »
    the links provided were a huge help and i forgot that the north is savage for clocking the milage of cars.. the car i was lookn at is E.3400 to clear according to the revenues online calculator!! thats before i change to sterling..hmmmm
    cheers..

No, Imported UK cars in general are very prone to clocking.

Make sure you do a full UK history check on the car yourself before buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

Are you suggesting that the clocking of cars is widespread in the UK or that the ex-UK cars sold here are often clocked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

FrontDoor wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that the clocking of cars is widespread in the UK or that the ex-UK cars sold here are often clocked?

The clocking of cars in general is all too common. Keep in mind the biggest problem.....clocking cars is not specifically illegal in Ireland.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

Yeah but mileage is checkable in the UK not here. Id buy a UK car before I bought an Irish one.
    You can do a free mileage check on the UK MOT website if you have the chassis number and any 08 car will have had this I think.
    Also check the history any 08 UK Audi would have a proper service history I should think

• Advertisement
Advertisement