Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aero Helmets (knob hats :D)

Options
  • 19-06-2012 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

just curious on peoples views here...i ride a tt bike in races but wear a standard road lid, is it worth investing in an aero lid, do they make a difference really?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Daz1214 wrote: »
    just curious on peoples views here...i ride a tt bike in races but wear a standard road lid, is it worth investing in an aero lid, do they make a difference really?

Yes, very much so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

thanks tunney, brief and to the point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Think it was proven around 40seconds per 40k bike.
    long as you aren't staring down at your computer and effectively putting the brakes on!
    So more than an aero wheel set, for about 10% of price (or less).

Easiest gain to make on the bike for relatively little outlay.

Aerodynamics count.
    http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2180

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

I've been thinking about making a purchase myself....so the next question is which helmet and why?

I seen decent reviews of the Garneau Vortice and Kask Crono and both are stocked in B2R. Would be interested in others opinions before buying. I like these two helmets because they are supposed to avoid the problem Fazz mentioned...looking down causing the tail to come up. These two helmets both have a tail design that helps to avoid that.

ray o wrote: »
    I've been thinking about making a purchase myself....so the next question is which helmet and why?

I seen decent reviews of the Garneau Vortice and Kask Crono and both are stocked in B2R. Would be interested in others opinions before buying.

Consider head size too. My head is 60cm circumfurence and that means most helmet types are out.

Giro are a large fit but the Advantage has a design problem with the ears which means you won't be able to use them in certain german races.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Yes there are time benefits with an aero helmet however on a very warm IM distance bike there is less ventilation in most aero helmets so when does the time/overheating trade off come into play?
    I am undecided if i am going to use a road or tt helmet in Roth so bringing both.

ray o wrote: »

I seen decent reviews of the Garneau Vortice and Kask Crono and both are stocked in B2R. Would be interested in others opinions before buying. I like these two helmets because they are supposed to avoid the problem Fazz mentioned...looking down causing the tail to come up. These two helmets both have a tail design that helps to avoid that.

Looking down isn't always slower. The amount of conflicting research and articles...... Slap one one, mash it, go faster........

Yes there are time benefits with an aero helmet however on a very warm IM distance bike there is less ventilation in most aero helmets so when does the time/overheating trade off come into play?
    I am undecided if i am going to use a road or tt helmet in Roth so bringing both.

Air is generally cooler at lower altitudes.............

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Chrissie wore a normal helmet breaking the record there last year...

looking at the spuik kronos myself

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    Air is generally cooler at lower altitudes.............

Yes that is an advantage:) seriously there has to be some trade of. Regulating your body temp and in particular your noggin is very important when racing in very warm temperatures. I know my own (Garneau) is like putting a lagging jacket around a boiler.

You mad?

No brainer, especially for ironman!

I did Abu Dhabi in 38 degrees and no overheating issues.
    Take care of your hydration and wear the aero lid for free speed.

If Crowie saw the light in Kona and did a pb bike split that should be enough for you :)

As to types of aero lids, go with fit and personal choice.
    There are reviews saying longer tails are actually better, but that was compared to those that left a gap between upper back I think.

What tt lid you using Ian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Giro are a large fit but the Advantage has a design problem with the ears which means you won't be able to use them in certain german races.

Is that the cracks that develop just over the ear area on either side - two nice fissures on my one at either side (although I wont be racing in Germany any time soon at least)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Consider head size too. My head is 60cm circumfurence and that means most helmet types are out.

You have a big head................never;)

What tt lid you using Ian.

Spiuk Kronos.

Got it as a present and didn't even look into alternatives.
    As it turns out; it has faired well in comparison reviews.
    Quite light and fits my head so win for me.

Not a fan of the visor ones - heard of some issues with fogging up in some cases as happens the sunglasses. At least the sunglasses can be moved when that happens.

Oh, just make sure it matches you're bike/gear alright??? :D

thats where the spuik kronos fits my requirements, its black, red and white which just happens to match my bike just nicely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Anyone have any info on the KASK ones (like Wiggo uses) or one of that style? I could do with getting a helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

The Kask the Sky lads use (Crono Bambino) isn't being released until after the Olympics, going to be pretty pricey at £300 ish too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

catweazle wrote: »

Is that the cracks that develop just over the ear area on either side - two nice fissures on my one at either side (although I wont be racing in Germany any time soon at least)
    Do elaborate dave..i too have a crack over one ear covered by race no and am racing in germany in two weeks time!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Do elaborate dave..i too have a crack over one ear covered by race no and am racing in germany in two weeks time!!!!

From Shotguns log last year in Roth

I was in great spirits until a Marshall refused to allow me enter transition due to a tiny 0.5cm tear in the plastic on my Giro helmet. It was the part where you pull over your ears. I protested that the helmet was practically new and the integrity of it was good. However he spouted some German cycling law and drew the line. I was allowed to check my bike in but had to get another helmet and it would be further spot checked in the morning. My spirits took a blow but the Marshall perked me up by A) showing me the dozens of Giro helmets already marked on a list and B) how the helmet was unsuitable for IM (in his IM experience) as your head just heats up in it

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

catweazle wrote: »
    From Shotguns log last year in Roth

I was in great spirits until a Marshall refused to allow me enter transition due to a tiny 0.5cm tear in the plastic on my Giro helmet. It was the part where you pull over your ears. I protested that the helmet was practically new and the integrity of it was good. However he spouted some German cycling law and drew the line. I was allowed to check my bike in but had to get another helmet and it would be further spot checked in the morning. My spirits took a blow but the Marshall perked me up by A) showing me the dozens of Giro helmets already marked on a list and B) how the helmet was unsuitable for IM (in his IM experience) as your head just heats up in it

is it only in Roth this is a problem?

longshank wrote: »

Same helmet in Frankfurt and no problems. Not used since so cracks were there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

longshank wrote: »

Could have been some ploy too to get a bunch of folk to buy new helmets, who knows. What is a twat hat worth over 180km anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

The new Giro Helmet may be of interest to some here.

Could have been some ploy too to get a bunch of folk to buy new helmets, who knows. What is a twat hat worth over 180km anyway?

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/aero/aerodynamics.htm

47 seconds over 40km so close to 4 minutes..........

More recent stuff
    http://www.active.com/cycling/Articles/Tech_Talk__Can_You_Buy_Speed_.htm

1.5minutes over 40km (depending on model, probably a better one than the bell)
    So over 6 minutes

Guess i will have to deal with my head being warmer then. That sort of advantage is too big to be giving up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

its certainly a brainer on an hot Ironman day
    saving 3,5 min on the bike risking 20 min loss on the run......
    one certainly needs to think about that (not saying one should not use it as this depends on the person .( a 50 kg female way less likely to have issues than a 95 kg guy )

the other thing is unless you have been to a wind tunnel it pretty much pointless reading reviews of aero helmet as the aeroness of an helmet is affected by so many aspects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

peter kern wrote: »
    its certainly a brainer on an hot Ironman day
    saving 3,5 min on the bike risking 20 min loss on the run......
    one certainly needs to think about that (not saying one should not use it as this depends on the person .( a 50 kg female way less likely to have issues than a 95 kg guy )

I'm not sure the aero helmet is the cause of the 20 min loss. I wouldn't mind seeing some (cough) sports science to back that up. The whole 30% heat loss from the head is baloney anyway, so if someone is really worried they could just expose more skin elsewhere- the old speedos and crop-top combo??

The reason people blow up in hot ironmans is either because they're not acclimatised to the heat, or they don't adjust their power/HR/time (or both) to the conditions. Not because of what's on their noggin.

Good point about the wind tunnel though- my own tendency to look at the scenery probably makes an aero helmet a hindrance. Hard to test that in a wind tunnel...

Advertisement