Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aero Helmets (knob hats :D)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

no, you do not want to expose more skin .....
    the other way round.
    burned skin heats up
    sun screem prevents sweating.
    cover and cool down with water

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    its certainly a brainer on an hot Ironman day
    saving 3,5 min on the bike risking 20 min loss on the run......
    one certainly needs to think about that (not saying one should not use it as this depends on the person .( a 50 kg female way less likely to have issues than a 95 kg guy )

the other thing is unless you have been to a wind tunnel it pretty much pointless reading reviews of aero helmet as the aeroness of an helmet is affected by so many aspects.

A good point by the Jolly German.

and you forget most working people dodtn have the time for acclimatization work till thursday fly out friday race sunday.......
    thats the reality.

no, you do not want to expose more skin .....
    the other way round.
    burned skin heats up
    sun screem prevents sweating.
    cover and cool down with water

So so true. Friend from Oz hammered this home a few years back "sunburn is something that the body has to recover from. if you get burnt on the bike you are recovering on the run"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

tunney wrote: »
    A good point by the Jolly German.

He is our very own Brett Sutton :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

and you forget most working people dodtn have the time for acclimatization work till thursday fly out friday race sunday.......
    thats the reality.

Fair enough, but they should adjust their targets to the conditions.

Same with skin- the more you expose the better, not burning obviously. Tan up beforehand. If you have to cover up, then you won't sweat as well and again you have to adjust the targets. Even the best wicking clothes is not as good as skin to air.

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Same with skin- the more you expose the better, not burning obviously. Tan up beforehand. If you have to cover up, then you won't sweat as well and again you have to adjust the targets. Even the best wicking clothes is not as good as skin to air.

IMHO very very wrong. Cover up, suncream will not work in 37 degree heat on a 5-6 hour bike. Gone after 1 hour best case, gone after the swim in all honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

IMHO very very wrong. Cover up, suncream will not work in 37 degree heat on a 5-6 hour bike. Gone after 1 hour best case, gone after the swim in all honesty.

I never said suncream. Get a tan. If someone can't do that and has to cover up they will heat up quicker. That's better than burning, (and probably better for your health than tanning,) but not as good for heat loss

MrCreosote wrote: »
    I never said suncream. Get a tan. If someone can't do that and has to cover up they will heat up quicker. That's better than burning, (and probably better for your health than tanning,) but not as good for heat loss

Wonder does it work like Beetlejuice....

Jolly German, Jolly German, Jolly German!

with BTH we have the ideal test person ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

mloc123 wrote: »
    He is our very own Brett Sutton :)

yeah i dont always understand whats he's saying either :D

we should also test sunblocks on him. See which works and more importantly which doesnt. You're up for this BTH right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Don't some of pros wear white baselayers/arm shields now to prevent burning?

Yeah and they keep soaking them to keep themselves cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Bambaata wrote: »
    we should also test sunblocks on him. See which works and more importantly which doesnt. You're up for this BTH right?

I am not your guinea pig. :mad:

Anyway, I find a simple factor 15/20 to be more than adequate for most days. Although I've never done an Ironman. Nor a HIM on a good day. In fact I've very seldom raced on sunny days. Eh, the Saturday in Athy this year was a sunny day and a little factor 15 and I was grand.

As for getting a tan before doing an ironman on the continent, I had to laugh at that!! I'd look well with a tan alright :D:cool:

I am not your guinea pig. :mad:

Anyway, I find a simple factor 15/20 to be more than adequate for most days. Although I've never done an Ironman. Nor a HIM on a good day. In fact I've very seldom raced on sunny days. Eh, the Saturday in Athy this year was a sunny day and a little factor 15 and I was grand.

As for getting a tan before doing an ironman on the continent, I had to laugh at that!! I'd look well with a tan alright :D:cool:

Nothing beats an opinion formed with a solid lack of experience.

You could try out the fake tan creams just to acclimatise ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Nothing beats an opinion formed with a solid lack of experience.

You are obviously referring to the fact that I've never had a tan so clearly can't know whether I'd look good or not :D

Bambaata wrote: »
    Yeah and they keep soaking them to keep themselves cool.

a revival of the very very old trick to put a wet sock around a water bottle ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Would disagree. p20 has got me through both ironmans unburned. Applied liberally before swim nd splashed on shoulders in t2,..now admittedly there was a wee bit of cloud cover at different pts of each day but mainly sunshine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I am actually going with a skin tight l/sleeve cycle top (the c/system ones) on the bike. Two fold, for holding my nutrition and pouring water over it to keep me cool. Wore it in Turkey on long bikes in 30 degree heat and worked a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

a revival of the very very old trick to put a wet sock around a water bottle ;-)

Slightly OT :o but is it practical or advantageous to freeze a water bottle and put it on the bike the morning of an IM so as to have a cooler drink? If it comes out of the freezer at 5am it would be pretty defrosted by 8am? Or does it not matter much.

Would disagree. p20 has got me through both ironmans unburned. Applied liberally before swim nd splashed on shoulders in t2,..now admittedly there was a wee bit of cloud cover at different pts of each day but mainly sunshine

P20 has been found to be sh1te does not protect from UVA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

+1 P20 is excellent, but you do need to reapply in T2. I only got burned in one spot on my back where hadn't reapplied the P20 and I still have the mark. It was 28-30 degrees on the run too.

I am actually going with a skin tight l/sleeve cycle top (the c/system ones) on the bike. Two fold, for holding my nutrition and pouring water over it to keep me cool. Wore it in Turkey on long bikes in 30 degree heat and worked a treat.
    What colour did u buy jb...lemon or pink?

+1 P20 is excellent, but you do need to reapply in T2. I only got burned in one spot on my back where hadn't reapplied the P20 and I still have the mark. It was 28-30 degrees on the run too.

http://www.skincancer.org/prevention/uva-and-uvb/understanding-uva-and-uvb

UVB causes sun burn.
    UVA causes skin cancer.

JB's point is just cause a suncream stops you burning does not mean you are actually being protected fully.

Look for UVA + UVB creams, kiddies creams are usually alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

The new Giro Helmet may be of interest to some here.

I see BMC has tweeted that he is going to be investing in one of these

What colour did u buy jb...lemon or pink?

Same colour scheme as this.
    fullZZZZZZPRW061202143742PIC.jpg

http://www.skincancer.org/prevention/uva-and-uvb/understanding-uva-and-uvb

UVB causes sun burn.
    UVA causes skin cancer.

JB's point is just cause a suncream stops you burning does not mean you are actually being protected fully.

Look for UVA + UVB creams, kiddies creams are usually alright.
    Hold on a second..your earlier post said all creams only last an hour and wash off in water now u saying kiddie creams are good because they do uva and uvb...which is it? ...my point was p20 will protect u from burning on the bike :)...which is what we on about :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

I've always found p20 to be the sun cream that I didn't burn with, all the rest were utter crap. After 5/6 hr spins in Majorca not one bit of burning after applying p20, and I'm a typical bainne colored paddy!

Advertisement