Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lads telling war stories about pulling in €1,000+ a week back in the good days

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

ronjo wrote: »
    it sounds like they were many many stupid people in Ireland.
    were?

:pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

It's ridiculous because it was a symptom of the economic disaster that was underway, the property bubble. It's like asking what was ridiculous about paying a billion dollars for a tech company with no income and no real plan back during the tech bubble - sure, it was in demand, but that was only because all logic had gone out the window.

Of course the problem now is that we seem to have a generation of unskilled people used to making a killing for work that requires no talent whatsoever who seem to think that if they aren't getting paid a grand a week they aren't getting what they deserve so they'd rather sit in front of the telly and wait for the bubble to come back. Which it won't.

But if their skills are were in demand and the value of their skills is determined by demand, why was it ridiculous? People could only earn what others where prepared to pay. Maybe this is the start of an IT bubble?

+1 on the last paragraph.

Boombastic wrote: »
    But if their skills are were in demand and the value of their skills is determined by demand, why was it ridiculous? People could only earn what others where prepared to pay. Maybe this is the start of an IT bubble?
    It was ridiculous because it was a distortion of economic logic caused by the bubble - when demand for unskilled labour outstrips the demand for skilled labour, you know there's something funny going on.

Let me put it like this: you are at a fairground and there's a game where you have to throw a ball through a hole to win some money. If you get it through a small hole, the guy will give you a tenner. If you get it through the big hole though, he says he'll give you a hundred.

Are you suspicious? Why?

It was ridiculous because it was a distortion of economic logic caused by the bubble - when demand for unskilled labour outstrips the demand for skilled labour, you know there's something funny going on.

Let me put it like this: you are at a fairground and there's a game where you have to throw a ball through a hole to win some money. If you get it through a small hole, the guy will give you a tenner. If you get it through the big hole though, he says he'll give you a hundred.

Are you suspicious? Why?

or like selling bottled water - why would people buy it when we have free & plentiful supplies?

or like selling bottled water - why would people buy it when we have free & plentiful supplies?
    That's slightly different - although it might be comparable though if people habitually carried around bottles of water from home with them. The usual reason I'd buy bottled water is that I'm out and about and don't have access to my 'free' water at home. I could go home for it, but that would cost me an hour of travel, so paying a euro is easier and probably cheaper.

That's slightly different - although it might be comparable though if people habitually carried around bottles of water from home with them. The usual reason I'd buy bottled water is that I'm out and about and don't have access to my 'free' water at home. I could go home for it, but that would cost me an hour of travel, so paying a euro is easier and probably cheaper.

Pack a bag in the morning?

Pack a bag in the morning?
    I usually do :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Did nobody have any fun with it?

There are two components to the OP:

- reminiscing fondly about the crazy days;
    - not being able to move on from them;

The latter is obviously terrible, but there is a rush in this forum to point out how 'I didn't fall for it!'. It's the ultimate AH badge of honour. How you kept it modest and frugal, and how you're steadily winning the race.

I used to beat myself up about opportunities lost and wishes of having put x and y aside. But now, having readjusted back into normal life (and the more realistic experiences and outlook of same) I tend to look back with fondness at the personal experiences those times afforded.

Being in your early twenties with more money than sense allowed a sense of freedom and standard of living to a bracket of the population who would never have touched it before, and may not again. It was quite the ride, you know? And life is short, and it seems like no bad thing to enjoy it while the going's good.

Moreover, being able to see how much of a house of sand it all was is no bad thing with respect to future motivation for real achievement in one's life.

tbh said earlier in this thread that a 24 year old earning 70k a year at the time was the type he really felt sorry for. I couldn't agree with that. If it was spent doing and seeing things that weren't otherwise possible, and the man concerned has got back on the wagon then I think there is a pretty great silver lining to be found.

EDIT: and to be clear, construction workers on the job 80 hours a week who spent the boom in a better car having a more expensive night out in their home town or larger two week sun holiday are not who I'm referencing. It could be reasonably suggested that such a stereotype truly has nothing to show for it all.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    tbh said earlier in this thread that a 24 year old earning 70k a year at the time was the type he really felt sorry for. I couldn't agree with that. If it was spent doing and seeing things that weren't otherwise possible, and the man concerned has got back on the wagon then I think there is a pretty great silver lining to be found.
    For sure. But - and this is a big generalisation - I think that most of the guys who quit school with no qualifications would have been more likely to spend the money on booze, drugs and cars. Of course there will be exceptions, and I'd be amazed if none of them saved their money for a few years and started businesses. But I think we all know where most of that money went.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Was there no-one with any cop-on in the banks at the time?
    There was. The was a report by a woman in Finance sector of the government that told that this was madness; she was kept quite. The report only released a few months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Funny listening to the lad saying a ham sandwich could have done the work. I was site boss with 40 lads working and answering to me. I worked for men who at the time were classed as Billionaires, not millionaires - and for the love of god, my biggest problem was getting good workers who knew what they were doing. There were thousands of ham sandwich types but the good men were scarce and worth ever penny for their skills. Kid yourself not, they were and are seriously highly skilled. They are also almost all still working. I am. And I still get paid a lot because I have real life skills and am a hard working basterd.:) All the ham and eggers are gone bust. As are most of the suits with all the gear and no idea. I still work for the big guys, but they are a lot more careful with their money now, and a lot of what is being done is overseen by Nama. And Nama are fairly well copped on lads to deal with - the phone rings every morning to see exactly what you're at and what it will cost, no messing there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Pottler wrote: »
    Funny listening to the lad saying a ham sandwich could have done the work. I was site boss with 40 lads working and answering to me. I worked for men who at the time were classed as Billionaires, not millionaires - and for the love of god, my biggest problem was getting good workers who knew what they were doing. There were thousands of ham sandwich types but the good men were scarce and worth ever penny for their skills. Kid yourself not, they were and are seriously highly skilled. They are also almost all still working. I am. And I still get paid a lot because I have real life skills and am a hard working basterd.:) All the ham and eggers are gone bust. As are most of the suits with all the gear and no idea. I still work for the big guys, but they are a lot more careful with their money now, and a lot of what is being done is overseen by Nama. And Nama are fairly well copped on lads to deal with - the phone rings every morning to see exactly what you're at and what it will cost, no messing there.

Good man, I left site work about 18 years ago, but used to work hard 7 days a week. I knew blokes earning that type of money between 89-94. I used to clear a grand then, never mind the qualificated lads. We had to follow the work, and put the hours in. Seen load of wasters that could not hack it.

Some of them went in to IT I believe:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I heard the stories from a slightly different angle. Up North it was people taking the piss out of how much you could make on a building site in Dublin. 15 year olds and their fathers could lift 200 each on a friday and be in the pub by tea time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Though why the hell if he didnt want it not just tip the minimum wage petrol station worker?

Or put it in the charity box. Wanker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

the_syco wrote: »
    There was. The was a report by a woman in Finance sector of the government that told that this was madness; she was kept quite. The report only released a few months ago.

Not even the regulator seemed to know what was going on. What hope was there for the banks?

I heard the stories from a slightly different angle. Up North it was people taking the piss out of how much you could make on a building site in Dublin. 15 year olds and their fathers could lift 200 each on a friday and be in the pub by tea time!
    Yeah, true enough -an awful lot of Northeren lads worked down south and pulled serious coin - try doing the opposite and they whinge! I completed a lot of work in Belfast last year and spent the whole time getting the "feck off back south with yourself, coming up here stealing our work!" More ya. Away and sh1te with yourselves is my attitude, ye did the same here up until recently. Also, re boomtime profligacy, how do you tell an 18 year old on 2k a week that it won't last so dont buy that new 4*4? I went through the recession in the late 80's in London, also in construction where it went from boom to bust overnight - remember Harry Enfields "Loadsamoney!" - same old same old, hod carriers were getting a grand a week then, which was crazy money - so no, I did not go mad in the boom here - I told everyone who would listen that it was just a phase and would end soon enough. People laughed and said it would never end.. BTW, its in Africa now - I was offered a job as foreman on a site there on £2500 in the hand a week with full board and a vehicle and flights. Not a spoof offer, one from a man I know for years with his own 15 seater Jet. So, Africa is the new Ireland! The offer came with an apartment in the Canaries for the family to avoid a long commute home.. I'll probably be called a spoofer for posting that, but whatever, again, shedloads of Paddies are out there already working away. I've kids settled in schools etc, or I'd be tempted to go because I know I'd be set up as a groundworks subbie within a year of finding my feet and Africa is a big place to dig up! I feckin hate flies though, so that'd be an issue. And the £ is not a typo.:-)

Not even the regulator seemed to know what was going on. What hope was there for the banks?
    The regulator was a total moron. They probably didn't appoint him by accident. Also it was a textbook case of regulatory capture - Patrick Neary seemed to think that his office was working for the banks rather than for the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Yes they can, you could learn in an hour

It is not a "skill"

Bet you've never driven one.

Samich wrote: »
    Bet you've never driven one.
    Dead right, every twat that ever sat on a hired 1 ton was "a digger driver". Good digger drivers were like hens teeth, morons were aplenty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

I agree with Pottler ......... if you're brilliant at what you do and are in the loop, you'll always be on good dosh. But you may have to take a flight. Once you are in the loop, you hear about the good jobs - but you only discuss them with some of your colleagues ......... those that are like minded. A kind of like the top echelon in Medieval guilds. This happens in all work places and the people who complain are generally those that are not very interested in doing their best as employees or employees that are less suited for the job. Their emotional feedback is to snipe.

And this beauty from Sykk!

If you don't want to be shoveling shít then you should have went to college and done a job that not anybody walking down the road could do.

I've no doubt the work you done was hard. I done a couple of "Summers" blocklaying and labouring in the pissings of rain from 6 in the morning to 6 in the evening when I was younger.

However, ANYBODY can do it. If you can put up with the muck and shít you don't require an IQ higher than that of a ham sandwich to do the actual work.

I'm qualified in IT now and I still earn less than what I was earning back then.. Which is ridiculous. My job has much more responsibility now, and though I sit at a desk and it's much less physically stressful, it takes a hell of a lot more brainpower than mixing mortar.

You don't deserve to earn a fortune for that work no more than I deserved it when I was doing it. The ridiculous wages for it have ended and are now and a price where they should be.
    Last edited by Sykk; Today at 12:53.

I see it took you almost half an hour to edit. Your grammar, syntax and spelling need brushing up ..... maybe not eating enough protein (ham sandwiches). If your CV is similar to the quoted post, you may have done yourself an injustice. Just sayin'.

I also like the "I'm qualified in IT now", yeah right whatever. What I bet you mean is you are a ham and eggs software developer/web developer or a "PC repair/support person" or a "Networks technician". Same as with the Buildings game, loads of "qualified people" who are ham and eggs. If you are a top notch programmer you are again, hens teeth and will be on mega bucks. I have a friend who is a Systems analyst for an American bank, top class lad. I can only dream of the money he makes and could always only dream of it no matter what I was/am on. Whats his biggest gripe? Can't get programmers -loads of "qualified" IT guys, feck all good programmers/ software writers/developers. Good ones can name their own price, as per usual, as per any field of endeavour. People who can write, re-write and troubleshoot Code can easily earn a grand a day - easily. €200 an hour as a call-in to fix somthing is no biggies, so if you're "In IT" and earning small money, you're either bad at it, or in the wrong bit of it, or like most things, just don't get it. I'm actually editing this now, because I bet there are code writes out there reading this and p1ssing themselves laughing at my naivety on their earnings, ie, €200 an hour?? I get that for ten minutes Pottler. I almost guarantee that that is the case, for some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I also like the "I'm qualified in IT now", yeah right whatever. What I bet you mean is you are a ham and eggs software developer/web developer or a "PC repair/support person" or a "Networks technician". Same as with the Buildings game, loads of "qualified people" who are ham and eggs. If you are a top notch programmer you are again, hens teeth and will be on mega bucks. I have a friend who is a Systems analyst for an American bank, top class lad. I can only dream of the money he makes and could always only dream of it no matter what I was/am on. Whats his biggest gripe? Can't get programmers -loads of "qualified" IT guys, feck all good programmers/ software writers/developers. Good ones can name their own price, as per usual, as per any field of endeavour. People who can write, re-write and troubleshoot Code can easily earn a grand a day - easily. €200 an hour as a call-in to fix somthing is no biggies, so if you're "In IT" and earning small money, you're either bad at it, or in the wrong bit of it, or like most things, just don't get it. I'm actually editing this now, because I bet there are code writes out there reading this and p1ssing themselves laughing at my naivety on their earnings, ie, €200 an hour?? I get that for ten minutes Pottler. I almost guarantee that that is the case, for some.

What exactly is your argument? From what I can gather you are saying that anyone who is top of their field in a certain industry will make a lot of money? That makes perfect sense of course whether it be building, IT, finance etc. Those at the top are always a very small percentage of the total numbers though.
    From the "ham sandwich" remark I gather that the poster was talking about the majority of people in construction not the very small creep of the crop at the top.
    Of course the argument is that there were a lot of lads who were not great workers had little skills but earned a bomb because the banks were mad to give out loans and now are in the situation of having no education, very little skills and no motivation to work for normal money. The lads who left education have no transferable skills and will be stuck in a rut until they get educated.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    What exactly is your argument? From what I can gather you are saying that anyone who is top of their field in a certain industry will make a lot of money? That makes perfect sense of course whether it be building, IT, finance etc. Those at the top are always a very small percentage of the total numbers though.
    From the "ham sandwich" remark I gather that the poster was talking about the majority of people in construction not the very small creep of the crop at the top.
    Of course the argument is that there were a lot of lads who were not great workers had little skills but earned a bomb because the banks were mad to give out loans and now are in the situation of having no education, very little skills and no motivation to work for normal money. The lads who left education have no transferable skills and will be stuck in a rut until they get educated.
    I've no arguement. All I'm saying is that at certain times, due to market demand, certain jobs pay well. And if you're good, they pay very well. I resent your "creep of the crop" remark :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

MadYaker wrote: »
    It really isn't. Technically you're not considered a "skilled" worker unless you have a degree of some sort.

and the award for the biggest pile of poo posted on boards - EVER

you really typed that ???

god help us and save us - now let me guess - you have or are getting a degree ?

funny - some of the biggest laziest f**kwits i know have a degree
    having a skill is learning and perfecting a given task - not drinking for 3 years and dry humping traffic cones , most degrees are not even useful for wiping ones hole

you dont need a degree to gain your commercial pilots licence - are they also unskilled ? say that to the flight team next time you get on a plane

also , another skill is knowing when to not post tripe

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

What's so bad about ham and eggs?

They go great in an omelette!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I agree, same in my job. It does also depend on others things too. I enjoy my HSE work I got lots of offers with much more cash during the boom. However, I'm happy where I am, the people I see could never afford to see me privately.

Though I teach and do some private work to make up the losses we have had with cuts during the last few years. This sh!te about having a degree making you more intelligent or whatever, people really need a reality check.

Its just envy, the sh!te I got in certain threads here, just because like you I'm good at my job and can make some extra cash doing private work would make you sick.

If you are really good at your job, and you want to earn more money most people can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Unskilled = No qualifications of any type.
    Skilled = Some sort of course or apprentiship even a security license could be argued to be a skill.
    Professional = Degree level.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    What's so bad about ham and eggs?

They go great in an omelette!
    But Swan and Caviar is much rarer. I quite like Ham and eggs myself, as long as they are always available and fresh. So much Ham and Egg has gone off, couldn't make it, is hungover and lazy. Give me Ham and Eggs every day over prima-donnas, but good Ham, and fresh eggs. I'm Ham and eggs, tbh, but I am always on time, I do what I say and I'm totally honest and reliable. Good ham and eggs is rare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I've no arguement. All I'm saying is that at certain times, due to market demand, certain jobs pay well. And if you're good, they pay very well. I resent your "creep of the crop" remark :D.

Only vultures get to the top of any industry! Freudian slip there!:p

• Advertisement

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Only vultures get to the top of any industry! Freudian slip there!:p
    Squaaaak.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Unskilled = No qualifications of any type.
    Skilled = Some sort of course or apprentiship even a security license could be argued to be a skill.
    Professional = Degree level.

What do you call footballers earning 100k a week? (Without degrees)

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Jammy.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

SafeSurfer wrote: »

Very skillful and (most importantly) in an area that pays such dosh. You can get an extremely gifted watchmaker that earns small money.
    Years ago there was a dip in the market and a lot of IT grads finished up in call centres. Today out here, there is a shortage of some IT skills. But not all IT people who get a degree are capable of producing the required work. You must know some teachers that should not be left in front of a blackboard. Why do you think that a "bedside manner" is now a requirement before doing medicine? The ability to sit in class, digest facts and then regurgitate them at exams is not enough to be good at the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

fascinating thread, apart from the dull narrative of "that's a skilled job...sure no it's not....sure it is!" that is running through it. some jobs are semi-skilled, others are highly skilled, who cares really?

love the storys that some people have about people's extravagance in the boom times and their blinkered views on it afterwards. not in a "haha you're failing" kind of way but it's just interesting

i remember about ten years ago I'd overhear lads say they're leaving school to go and earn 600 quid on the buildings. pretty scary tbh, glad I wasn't part of that

and without the skill of the lowly technician or network engineer, your pc that you do your super wizz kid programming on is just a useless lump of plastic - you can not do your job with out them

the amount of times i have gone into a coms room to repair something and the so called systems admin would wander in, and they would not have a clue how the infrastructure works - let alone fix it

next time a network goes down, ill say to the top notch programmer - you fix it , see how far he gets

dj jarvis wrote: »
    and without the skill of the lowly technician or network engineer, your pc that you do your super wizz kid programming on is just a useless lump of plastic - you can not do your job with out them

the amount of times i have gone into a coms room to repair something and the so called systems admin would wander in, and they would not have a clue how the infrastructure works - let alone fix it

next time a network goes down, ill say to the top notch programmer - you fix it , see how far he gets

The roof on your house wouldn't stay up, without the walls built by the unskilled builders:P

tee he he, I built the Comms room and fitted the aircon, so I give a toss if the servers work -I hope they put in so many I have to upgrade the cooling system, or make it bigger. Or the roof leaks and I have to fix it. Let's see who's more important then.:D(I actually have built a shedload of comms rooms...) I also can afford a clever chappie to come fix my PC when it dies(or bin it and get another)- wether he could afford me is another question. Highly bloody unlikly. BTW I can't even programme a video recorder, never mind super whizz kidding.
    Another interesting boomtime snippet -a crew were laying a watermain to a large kildare town - they were digging real carefully to avoid cutting the ESB, fibre-optics etc. The boss turned up and asked why progress was so slow. When he found out, he ordered the drivers to dig faster, fcuk the underground services- plough ahead through them. The men were dumbfounded as repairs would cost the company a fortune but they dug on like bulldozers, cutting all ahead of them except the Gas lines(don't feck with Gas, rule no1.) Gas costs - you pay for the cubic meters that escape as though you had used it in your own home (which adds up to HUGE dosh). The main was duly laid and the ESB and KN networks fixed all the damage and sent in a big bill - tens of thousands of euro. The boss paid it. The foreman asked what the feck that was about and the boss informed him that the main down was worth several million, the late penalties were hundreds of thousands - fcuk the ESB and their pocket money.

Or the roof leaks and I have to fix it.

I'd like to see some IT guys fix that:)

• Advertisement

tee he he, I built the Comms room and fitted the aircon, so I give a toss if the servers work -I hope they put in so many I have to upgrade the cooling system, or make it bigger. Or the roof leaks and I have to fix it. Let's see who's more important then.:D(I actually have built a shedload of comms rooms...)

exactly my point , people looking down on so called lower level workers , but in reality we all need each other , this snobbery is sad , if a person is doing the right thing by working to provide then should be commended , not derived

and yes your air con has drown many of my servers, and for that i hate and thank you in equal measure , ill name a wing of my house after you for all the work you have gotten me :D

, if a person is doing the right thing by working to provide then should be commended , not derived

but only if they're earning above a certain amount of money / week;) Right.

The roof on your house wouldn't stay up, without the walls built by the unskilled builders:P

i built my house ya cheeky little .....................:D

but only if they're earning above a certain amount of money / week;) Right.

ooohhh , cross pollination of threads - dont think that is allowed

are you stalking me ? im not sure how i feel about that ?

ooohhh , cross pollination of threads - dont think that is allowed

are you stalking me ? im not sure how i feel about that ?

Not stalking you don't worry, I'll keep a bucket of plaster at the ready in case your walls need patching up though:pac:

Just couldn't resist pointing out the irony

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Odysseus wrote: »
    I agree, same in my job. It does also depend on others things too. I enjoy my HSE work I got lots of offers with much more cash during the boom. However, I'm happy where I am, the people I see could never afford to see me privately.

Though I teach and do some private work to make up the losses we have had with cuts during the last few years. This sh!te about having a degree making you more intelligent or whatever, people really need a reality check.

Its just envy, the sh!te I got in certain threads here, just because like you I'm good at my job and can make some extra cash doing private work would make you sick.

If you are really good at your job, and you want to earn more money most people can.

Good for you, it's just jealousy when people are snide & throw bitter remarks cause they can't supplement their own income.
    When I was full tilt with my second job all I'd get is losers asking me how to start up, when I'd explain there was a bit of graft involved they'd lose interest.
    Last year I made all my beer money putting free anti-virus (MSE) & deleting useless startup entries off laptops & PC's.
    €30 a pop was nothing to people already paying €30 a year to McAfee/Norton.
    I even showed people how to do it & they'd sooner pay me.

• Advertisement

Not stalking you don't worry, I'll keep a bucket of plaster at the ready in case your walls need patching up though:pac:

Just couldn't resist pointing out the irony

oh you must be seeing things - i was not being ironic

i dont like it when people look down on others for what they do as employment

i also dont like seeing people being used as free slaves in a useless and abused in a state sponsored programme

i fail to see the irony - i have 2 different opinions on 2 different subjects

and my brick work is flawless ill have you know - sure the wife never said it had to be straight :eek:

oh you must be seeing things - i was not being ironic

i dont like it when people look down on others for what they do as employment

i also dont like seeing people being used as free slaves in a useless and abused in a state sponsored programme

i fail to see the irony - i have 2 different opinions on 2 different subjects

and my brick work is flawless ill have you know - sure the wife never said it had to be straight :eek:
    Levels are for cissies. And in that one phrase, everyone who knows me IRL now knows who Pottler is.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

SHUT THE FúCK UP ABOUT WHAT IS OR ISN'T A SKILLED JOB.

ffs, you guys started this the beginning of the thread and are still sh1teing on about it. we want to hear storys about how a lad left school at 14, was earning a grand a week on the buildings, pissed it all up against the wall and literally chucked his small change in the bin, lit his fags with 50s for the craic etc. and is now refusing to take a job with lower wages and is waiting for the booms times to come back

parc wrote: »
    SHUT THE FúCK UP ABOUT WHAT IS OR ISN'T A SKILLED JOB.

ffs, you guys started this the beginning of the thread and are still sh1teing on about it. we want to hear storys about how a lad left school at 14, was earning a grand a week on the buildings, pissed it all up against the wall and literally chucked his small change in the bin, lit his fags with 50s for the craic etc. and is now refusing to take a job with lower wages and is waiting for the booms times to come back

But was he skilled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Well, my humble opinion is that driving a digger isn't a skill for sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement