Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesland service charges and the upcoming property tax

Options
  • 19-06-2012 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

I was wondering would the residents of Charlesland have a case for an exemption or reduced tax liability on the upcoming property tax considering we pay annual service charges for the maintenance of the development and the local authority provides no direct services to the estate? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

No.

You do not seem to understand the difference between payments to a maintance company and property tax

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

No.

You do not seem to understand the difference between payments to a maintance company and property tax

I think perhaps you're the one not seeing the big picture.

I don't live in Charlesland but the property tax is supposed to be 'ring fenced' to finance the local authorities. If people there are already paying a maintenance charge and I understand the Council does not maintain the roads etc in Charlesland than it sounds like grounds for a discussion to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Wineman wrote: »
    I was wondering would the residents of Charlesland have a case for an exemption or reduced tax liability on the upcoming property tax considering we pay annual service charges for the maintenance of the development and the local authority provides no direct services to the estate? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

You could take it up with Simon Harris TD , he is now a resident of Charlesland/Seabourne

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Huntthe wrote: »
    I understand the Council does not maintain the roads etc in Charlesland

FWIW there seems to be movement toward the Council taking over the spine road and pavements. This is why the tactile pavement ramps are being installed at the moment -- the guy doing those told me the council won't take charge until the developer installed them. I would imagine there are other snags as well, but it seems the developer is working on them.

However, there will still be a service charge when this happens because the council is not taking charge of anything beyond on the spine road. There's still lots of grass and tarmac to maintain, not to mention common areas of apartment blocks, etc. So I think it's quite likely some if not most Charlesland residents will have to pay both.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Lance Vance

No.

The property tax is supposed to fund local services. Residents in Charlesland are already paying for some local services (e.g. street lighting, grass cutting, public liabiltiy insurance, repair of water pipes) through a management fee. In other estates the local authority provides some or all of these services.

For a property tax to be equitable should property owners in an estate which pay for certain services through a management fee be taxed at the same rate as property owners in an estate where the local authority provides those services?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

Most tenants in apartments pay both, the service charge you pay is for the maintenance of the structure and car parks etc.
    You cannot expect the tenant of the top flat to pay for the maintenance of the roof!!!! A service charge attached to the rent is meant to ensure ALL tenants pay an equal amount for the upkeep of the building and any communal gardens and service roads.

The service charge has NOTHING to do with the property tax which if anything like the UK, will supposedly be charged to provide such things as street lights, fire service, ambulances, local road maintenance etc.

Do not get the 2 confused, a home owner has to still maintain his/her own property, just with an apartment you pay a maintenance company to do it on your/the landlords behalf.

Hope that clarifies the situation. Some roads will belong to the council, some will belong to the land owners. Not a simple case of looking at the colour of the tarmac and making a judgement without seeing the detailed plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    You could take it up with Simon Harris TD , he is now a resident of Charlesland/Seabourne
    Not in Crowe Abbey anymore? Expect speed bumps in charlesland soon and no property tax.

Still funny... Wanting to not pay tax because you pay maintenance. I pay 50 euro a year for the residents grass cutting can I get a discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Millers02

Most tenants in apartments pay both, the service charge you pay is for the maintenance of the structure and car parks etc.
    You cannot expect the tenant of the top flat to pay for the maintenance of the roof!!!! A service charge attached to the rent is meant to ensure ALL tenants pay an equal amount for the upkeep of the building and any communal gardens and service roads.

The service charge has NOTHING to do with the property tax which if anything like the UK, will supposedly be charged to provide such things as street lights, fire service, ambulances, local road maintenance etc.

Do not get the 2 confused, a home owner has to still maintain his/her own property, just with an apartment you pay a maintenance company to do it on your/the landlords behalf.

Hope that clarifies the situation. Some roads will belong to the council, some will belong to the land owners. Not a simple case of looking at the colour of the tarmac and making a judgement without seeing the detailed plans.

Although I fully accept that the management fee paid by residents in Charlesland is not the same as a property tax, the management fee is paid by every household - not just apartments - and does cover street lighting, maintenance of pavements, public liability insurance, etc. within the estate (as Lance Vance says).

However, it doesn't cover anything outside of the estate - so the property tax paid by people in Charlesland will go towards these things in the greater Greystones area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Technically by the planning permission Charlesland is an unfinished housing estate.

Also I refuse to pay, when the water pipe burst last year the council didn't want to know and the crescent had to fork out near 10k to have it repaired so the whole estate could get water

Think we got some back on insurance but not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

Hi,

Are the residents of Charlesland liable to household charge?

Does it matter this is private estate and not run by the council?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

You are liable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

tp25 wrote: »
    Hi,

Keep trying ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

tp25 wrote: »
    Hi,

Yes
    No

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

Below is the email I sent Simon Harris on this issue and his reply...

Hello Simon,

I am a resident of Charlesland Court in Greystones.
    In Charlesland we pay an annual maintenance fee to a management company, this covers Roads, sewerage, street lighting, maintenance of common areas and public liability insurance among other things, which effectively makes Charlesland a self sufficient entity which as far as I know receives no services from the local authority.

My point is I believe there is a case to be had for residents who pay maintenance fees to management companies to be exempt or qualify for a discount in the proposed property tax. We currently pay almost €600 p.a on maintenance fees, a property tax heaped on to our current charges would be far too much to bear, not to mention that it puts an unfair burden on those of us whose estates are not serviced by the local authority.

In summary I would like to ask that when the review of the property tax commences that citizens in the circumstances described are treated fairly and have equal status to citizens who do not have the imposition of paying maintenance fees for the upkeep of their areas.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXX

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you very much for your email

With regards to the Property Tax which is to be introduced to replace the Household Charge in 2013, I naturally understand your concerns in relation to the service charges you already pay in respect of your property in Charlesland. While the property tax will also cover a wider range of local services, such as the provision of playgrounds, libraries and the upkeep of local common areas as well as those directly in the area of residence, I do take your broader point.

You may be aware that my colleague, Phil Hogan TD, the Minister for the Environment, Community and Local Government has established an Expert Inter-Departmental Group to examine the whole issue of the proposed Property Tax, the manner in which it would be levied, how it would be calculated, who should pay etc.

I have already written to the Minister outlining the significant contributions which are made by some households through the imposition of local service charges etc, though I would be happy to forward on your concerns directly to the Minister for the attention of the Expert Group. You might let me know if you would be amenable to this.

Please be assured of my very best efforts on your behalf, XXXXX. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Simon

Simon Harris TD
    Wicklow-East Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Thanks for posting this wineman
    Would you be agreeable to people also sending this letter in their own name?

dubsgirl wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this wineman
    Would you be agreeable to people also sending this letter in their own name?

That would be fine by me. I was planning to get in touch with the Charlesland Residents Associations to see if they could lobby some ministers on our behalf, representation from them might carry a bit more clout than from individuals.

I'm in if you need my signature on this one

You're missing the point, the household charge isn't to pay for amenities and services its to help reduce the deficit... Do I get an exemption if I pay 50 a year for the grass to be cut?

Come on folks, pay the same as everyone else... Even more laughable that you put any faith in Simon 'Where is Greystones?' Harris. P.o.l.i.t.i.c.i.a.n

I might write to Simon and ask can you pay more as Charlesland was built without cause to the impact on amenities and as such it is putting an unfair load on the council, schools, roads etc... I bet I would get the same response from Harris.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

how is charlesland putting an unfair load on the council and road?

we had our own road pretty much built to the M50.

we pay for our own services and amenities.

• Advertisement

brave one, you can pay more if you wish so

You're missing the point, the household charge isn't to pay for amenities and services its to help reduce the deficit... Do I get an exemption if I pay 50 a year for the grass to be cut?

Come on folks, pay the same as everyone else... Even more laughable that you put any faith in Simon 'Where is Greystones?' Harris. P.o.l.i.t.i.c.i.a.n

I might write to Simon and ask can you pay more as Charlesland was built without cause to the impact on amenities and as such it is putting an unfair load on the council, schools, roads etc... I bet I would get the same response from Harris.

Was waiting for you to crawl out of your hole, why don't you go troll somewhere else..

Aaah a balanced response there... good stuff... you really showed me.

No trolling simply an opinion you don't agree with the other side of the argument.

But back to the topic at hand, the attempts by some to shirk their fiscal and social responsibilities.

Wouldn't be easier to write to your maintenance company and state you won't pay because you are paying the household charge?

The household charge will be lower, there I saved you some money, glad I could help.

You signed a contract to pay maintenance on a section of land and housing, this in no way contributes to the wider council amenties (supposedly to benefit from the housing charge) and yet you feel you should be exempt. It's this kind of NIMBYism and cute whorism that got the country into the state its in.

'In Charlesland we pay an annual maintenance fee to a management company, this covers Roads, sewerage, street lighting, maintenance of common areas and public liability insurance among other things, which effectively makes Charlesland a self sufficient entity which as far as I know receives no services from the local authority.'

So the sewers dont come from anywhere else, the electricty lines, the roads, they all just magically appear in Charlesland? Do you recycle your waste? Do you issue driving licences? Do you issue road tax, do you manage benefits for the unemployed, police your streets?

You can't have it both ways, don't pay and not be allowed to use anything outside of your self sufficient entity or do pay and be a contributing member of society.

You signed a contract to pay maintenance on a section of land and housing, this in no way contributes to the wider council amenties (supposedly to benefit from the housing charge) and yet you feel you should be exempt. It's this kind of NIMBYism and cute whorism that got the country into the state its in.

'In Charlesland we pay an annual maintenance fee to a management company, this covers Roads, sewerage, street lighting, maintenance of common areas and public liability insurance among other things, which effectively makes Charlesland a self sufficient entity which as far as I know receives no services from the local authority.'

So the sewers dont come from anywhere else, the electricty lines, the roads, they all just magically appear in Charlesland? Do you issue driving licences?

You can't have it both ways, don't pay and not be allowed to use anything outside of your self sufficient entity or do pay and be a contributing member of society.

I'd actually broadly agree with this. The other point made by Simon Harris is that the funding also goes to other facilities such as playgrounds and libraries.

Wicklow county council also provide lots of other services that Charlesland residents use or can use. Church road didn't just magically resurface itself

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I would read from Winemans letter that he is asking for a discount in this instance not an exemption.

If I pay separately for my street lights in my maintenance fee why should I pay the council for this also??

A discounted fee for those who pay privately for many items that other estates get FOC is completely warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I would read from Winemans letter that he is asking for a discount in this instance not an exemption.

If I pay separately for my street lights in my maintenance fee why should I pay the council for this also??

A discounted fee for those who pay privately for many items that other estates get FOC is completely warranted.
    ... and difficult to administer without adding more unnecessary administrative overhead costs. Also, where do you draw the line? Maybe I should get a discount if I didn't have a car and so don't use the roads, or maybe because I have no kids I shouldn't have to pay for schools, etc. etc. etc.

I moved here from the Netherlands, and one of the (many) things I was confused about when I arrived here was that there wasn't any kind of property tax / local rates (or water or sewage charges as well.)

Alun wrote: »
    ... and difficult to administer without adding more unnecessary administrative overhead costs. Also, where do you draw the line? Maybe I should get a discount if I didn't have a car and so don't use the roads, or maybe because I have no kids I shouldn't have to pay for schools, etc. etc. etc.

I moved here from the Netherlands, and one of the (many) things I was confused about when I arrived here was that there wasn't any kind of property tax / local rates (or water or sewage charges as well.)

If you don't have a car you don't pay car tax ergo do not pay for roads.

We are talking about people who may be currently paying around 600 - 1200 in private estates...

Another small example when it snowed winter before last Charlesland residents had to pay to get the main roads & main roundabout gritted as Wicklow Co Co would not do it as we are a private estate. This road that leads to the N11 is used by a lot of Greystones not just Charlesland!

We are talking about people who may be currently paying around 600 - 1200 in private estates...

Another small example when it snowed winter before last Charlesland residents had to pay to get the main roads & main roundabout gritted as Wicklow Co Co would not do it as we are a private estate. This road that leads to the N11 is used by a lot of Greystones not just Charlesland!

Ok well then Greystones town council/Wicklow County Council should stop charlesland people using the library and playgrounds and the Shoreline swimming pool if they are going to look for a reduction in council taxes.

Terry Pratchet

Ok well then Greystones town council should stop charlesland people using the library and playgrounds if they are going to look for a reduction in council taxes.

Childish response imo...

I never said Greystones residents shouldn't use the main road - I gave an example of certain items we pay for that the council do not cover...

I for one am not looking to be excluded from any charges relating to public amenities in Greystones.
    I am looking for a reduction to take into account of the various items private estates have to pay for directly - I am not sure if people are deliberately misunderstanding this or just looking for a reaction/arguement on this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Motor Tax has absolutely no connection with funding or paying for road maintenance.

Advertisement