Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you just don't get

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

mikemac1 wrote: »
    You realize Conan O'Brien was a writer on the Simpsons when it was at its peak?

The man clearly has talent

Yeah but not as a presenter/interviewer. He should stick to what he's good at and thats clearly not chat show host.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Southpark, I just don't think it's funny.

Well you can geeeeeeeeeeeet ouuuuuuut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Ah, so you play it because you might win a trophy. So if you're from Leitrim, Carlow, Louth, Laois, Antrim, Wicklow or one of the many teams that don't have a hope, you wouldn't bother playing because you don't have a hope of going anywhere with them.
    But you play for the love of the game....

I'm from a weaker county, football wise. I play because I love the sport and because it's a lovely feeling playing with locals who you grew up with, trying your best and if trophies come, better again.
    Soccer in Ireland on the other hand, will never come to anything so it's pointless.
    International rugby had the same player pool, bar a small contingent from Ulster so why don't we pool our resources and support into the rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

krudler wrote: »
    phone? smartphones are more common than non smartphones now and its going to keep going that way.

oh on that, people who have smartphones who still ring 11811, you have the entire internet in the palm of your hand, 2 seconds of googling will get you a number you're paying a quid a minute to get, makes no sense.

Not in Ireland you dont. I live in south armagh and my so called "smart" phone is little more than a more expensive 3210 until i get north of Newry or south of Dundalk.
    Pile of ****e. I rue the day I got conned into buying it by some slick 02 cocksucker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Why having any kind of fetish (that doesn't do anyone else any harm) is considered taboo but being gay is now considered acceptable among so many people. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being gay but you can no more help having a fetish than you can help being attracted to your own gender. If I answered this by saying I don't get why people are homosexual because they engage in sexual activities that didn't appeal to me I'd be called a bigot. Calling someone with a foot fetish a weirdo is deemed acceptable though.

Why people suddenly become interested in a famous musician or singer after they die. It's somewhat understandable to become interested in a less famous musician after their death because you get to read more about them in obituaries. I don't understand why so many people rush out and buy albums by the likes of Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston after they die though. People must have heard of them but never felt the need to buy their albums. What is it about them being dead that suddenly makes their music more appealing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Why having any kind of fetish (that doesn't do anyone else any harm) is considered taboo but being gay is now considered acceptable among so many people. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being gay but you can no more help having a fetish than you can help being attracted to your own gender. If I answered this by saying I don't get why people are homosexual because they engage in sexual activities that didn't appeal to me I'd be called a bigot. Calling someone with a foot fetish a weirdo is deemed acceptable though.

Why people suddenly become interested in a famous musician or singer after they die. It's somewhat understandable to become interested in a less famous musician after their death because you get to read more about them in obituaries. I don't understand why so many people rush out and buy albums by the likes of Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston after they die though. People must have heard of them but never felt the need to buy their albums. What is it about them being dead that suddenly makes their music more appealing?

Being gay is natural it's not a fetish. It's two people who are attracted to each other - just like heterosexuals.

As for the music question, in my case, I stupidly refused to listen to Jeff Buckley and Nick Drake for years because of the cult of the dead musician. Then I listened to them and fell in love with their music. As for Whitney and MJ - they made ok records in their day but (IMHO) nothing essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Anna Nicole

Justin Bieber. When we were teenagers were we equally obsessed with some lad with queer hair and an average voice?
    Can't see the fascination there at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Justin Bieber. When we were teenagers were we equally obsessed with some lad with queer hair and an average voice?

Bon Jovi

What is queer hair? Is it a punk haircut? A moptop? A Ziggy Stardust effort? A Bono mullet?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Anna Nicole

Fair point lads!! ^^^ Beibers hair cut is a sorta mop pulled over to one side.very straightened looking and too shiny for a lads hair cut!

• Advertisement

Not in Ireland you dont. I live in south armagh and my so called "smart" phone is little more than a more expensive 3210 until i get north of Newry or south of Dundalk.
    Pile of ****e. I rue the day I got conned into buying it by some slick 02 cocksucker

are you on o2 ireland or o2 uk? if you live in armagh why are you on a southern network? get a uk phone :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Enter a shop with the intention of merely browsing and your mobbed by shop assistants asking if they can help you.
    Enter a shop looking for their advice or help and they are nowhere to be found.

Enter a shop with the intention of merely browsing and your mobbed by shop assistants asking if they can help you.
    Enter a shop looking for their advice or help and they are nowhere to be found.

Yup. If you ask them about the product they just read the label at you. Gah, whatever happened to being knowledgeable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

maximoose wrote: »
    Well you can geeeeeeeeeeeet ouuuuuuut

That must be a Southpark joke/reference cos it's not funny ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Diamonds and women's endless pursuit of them, they're just rocks from the ground, they were free to begin with and actually not that rare.

jebuz wrote: »
    Diamonds and women's endless pursuit of them, they're just rocks from the ground, they were free to begin with and actually not that rare.

Men's endless pursuit of them, prob more than women. When you think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

First of all, I get soccer. Im not a huge fan but I keep an eye on the premiership and am very interested in World Cups, Euros etc. Its a bit of craic to play also.

However, last year I was down in Galway when Man City won the FA Cup. Was in a hotel that was all decked out in City colours, this was about 2-3 hours before kick off. In arrives a group of about 15 guys who shortly after begin chanting and singing as if they were on the terraces. Well I was back in there after after the game and they were still jumping around like loons and singing at the TV

So the thought sort of struck me. Man City is a team who are only successful due to the fact that an oil baron picked them as the club he wanted to buy. The players are playing for vast sums of money and as such have no real affinity to the club. And here is a group of middle aged guys in the west of Ireland, absolutely in love with the whole thing.

With the likes of rugby, gaa or loads of other sports you know that the club, county, province etc are successful due to years hard work from the ground up. They are forced to invest in the youth in order to sustain success so when the good times come they are worth it because you know the bad times

Man City were ****e for years but the only reason they put that behind them is because the owner rolled in with a blank chequebook. Wheres the glory in that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I don't get why women flip out if the toilet seat is left up
    Fine we men forget but it ain't exactly hard for a woman to just put the seat down

From living with people who aren't toilet trained, leaving the seat up is the safest way to keep it from being sprayed with piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

old hippy wrote: »
    Being gay is natural it's not a fetish. It's two people who are attracted to each other - just like heterosexuals.
    I never said it was a fetish. I said gay people can't help being gay and people who have a fetish can't help that either.

Being heterosexual and being attracted to a part of a womans body is natural too. Just because it's a body part that some people don't find attractive they call it a 'fetish'. Most men find womens legs attractive. I don't understand why it's considered weird to find anything below the ankle attractive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 jimmi10

I don't get people who are obsessed with following English football teams on the telly but have no interest in coming outside for a proper kick around of an football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

jebuz wrote: »

You have to respect the danglies on the feckers responsible for one of the most successful marketing campaigns in history and then tightly regulating the supply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

maximoose wrote: »

How Georgios Samaras made it as a professional footballer

:confused:
    Here's the independents review from his last game

Georgios Samaras: Played a fantastic game for Greece, running tirelessly all game. Playing to the full extent of his limitations, he made several galloping runs forward on the counter and always tracked back in defence. He was seemingly never far from the ball when Greece had possession and his hugely industrious performance was at the heart of his team’s win. 9

I never said it was a fetish. I said gay people can't help being gay and people who have a fetish can't help that either.

Being heterosexual and being attracted to a part of a womans body is natural too. Just because it's a body part that some people don't find attractive they call it a 'fetish'. Most men find womens legs attractive. I don't understand why it's considered weird to find anything below the ankle attractive.

And don't forget heteros can't help being straight. What about us folk who just can't help finding people attractive, regardless of gender?

I draw the line at licking stilletos, mind :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

People working in shops being nice and polite but SLOW. Surely it would be better customer service to work faster without smiling?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

Concurrent sentencing.

Make sure you kill any witnesses, cause if you get caught it won't make any difference to the time you spend in jail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Paparazzo wrote: »
    ...a day after it happened
    1. Story 'breaks' on Twitter
    2. Open Reuters, BBC, Sky website etc
    3. Hit F5 repeatedly until story 'confirmed'

Or save time on searching for confirmation on the tiny percentage that are actually true and just read story when it first appears on a reputable news source.

I don't understand soccer fan worship (file with religion), soaps, Donegal accent, people who prefer McVities over Jacobs Jaffa Cakes.

But there is hope in my quest for understanding. One thing I never used to get was cricket, but I do now, it's a pretty simple game and the rules are easier to understand than rugby sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Washed up politicians and so-called celebrities being allowed to host R.T.E. programmes. What is that all about? Have they not screwed the system for enough money already. Just look at what's happening now -- Nora Owen hosting Mastermind ??? Gay Byrne has made more come-backs to our screens than there are Elvis impersonators. Fcuk off and let someone new get a chance, you got enough !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Teachers retiring and then being brought back as subs
    Nurses retiring and then being brought back as agency staff

Meanwhile young graduates are on the dole

If you retire from a State job then good luck to you and GTFO.
    You are getting your pension and you don't need the job

Let the young people apply for the jobs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Missing out on a brown dick and athletes cock
    You're allright thanks.:pac:

It is possible to wash it afterwards you know :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,318 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I don't understand ... Donegal accent..

I don't get how anyone couldn't love the Donegal accent. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I don't get how anyone couldn't love the Donegal accent. :D

I'm from Donegal so it sounds normal to me but it does sound strange when I hear it on tv or radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Small pants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

FishBowel wrote: »
    People working in shops being nice and polite but SLOW. Surely it would be better customer service to work faster without smiling?

I worked on the tills in Tesco years ago, and I'd always be as efficient as I could.
    But I was called to 2 different meetings because a ton of little oul biddies complained about my lack of smiling.
    Seriously wtf?!!!
    Who in their right mind goes to the bother of queuing up at customer service to give out that an employee didn't smile?!
    Some bloody idiots out there alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

John Lennon

What is there to get? (besides the depth and meaning)

Just sit there (or stand I suppose) and listen to a guy who started with nothing, not even x factor or bgt, and actually changed the world.

I don't get people like this guy...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

krudler wrote: »
    are you on o2 ireland or o2 uk? if you live in armagh why are you on a southern network? get a uk phone :confused:

I have a northern phone because I work in Newry. However it is of little to no use when Im at home because you dont pick up a northern signal until you're about 20 miles over the border and i live about one mile from it. Phone signals, just like grass, the breeze and people, do not stop dead in their tracks at some imaginary line in the ground.
    The whole issue of phone and internet service along the border is a disgrace anyway, each company should have one Irish network, this UK/IRL ****e is just an excuse to pile pricey "roaming" charges on you.

I worked on the tills in Tesco years ago, and I'd always be as efficient as I could.
    But I was called to 2 different meetings because a ton of little oul biddies complained about my lack of smiling.
    Seriously wtf?!!!
    Who in their right mind goes to the bother of queuing up at customer service to give out that an employee didn't smile?!
    Some bloody idiots out there alright.

ah the public, I'm so anti flu research its unreal, we need one of these superbug things to thin the herd out a bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

When someone says they've a twin of the opposite sex and they're asked are they identical twins. Heard this a few times on TV!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Tea.

/runs for cover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Smiley Dave

The "took an arrow to th knee" joke.

EmilyO wrote: »
    Tea.

/runs for cover

.............. I don't get this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,318 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The "took an arrow to th knee" joke.

It's a reference to the game The Elder Scrolls V:Skyrim.

But on that note, I don't get how something becomes a meme and sure by the time you hear it it's old news, kinda like the Faith Hilling episode of South Park points out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭houseplant

Adam Sandler

houseplant wrote: »
    Adam Sandler

He's a laugh riot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

X-factor and Big Brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

TOWIE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

"Things you just don't get"?....when you apologise to someone for something that from your view and actually knowing wasn't malicious and not in the least bit intentional but they take exception.. Knowing that you are not in the least, the type of individual to direct any kind of hurt or pain to them or anyone....but knowing yourself that you have a mission on your hands to persuade them otherwise....

Nastiness & rudeness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Certain comedians - Stewart Francis, Jo Brand, Karl Spain, Katherine Lynch (*shudder*), Gina Yashere, Johnny Vegas, etc.

Certain T.V. shows - Family Guy, South Park, The Middle, Will and Grace...

Modern Art (a.k.a. Contemporary Art for any nitpickers out there :P)

People who spend €50+ on gig tickets only to drink so much that they can't remember it - why not just go to a pub/club instead?!

How Nickelback still manage to sell out arenas when everyone claims to hate them! It's quite a feat... (Also - why it's cool to hate Nickelback)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭seXmym0nkey

I don't get why women flip out if the toilet seat is left up
    Fine we men forget but it ain't exactly hard for a woman to just put the seat down

What do you mean forget? I don't get why it should be down...
    FishBowel wrote: »
    When someone says they've a twin of the opposite sex and they're asked are they identical twins. Heard this a few times on TV!

There's actualy a biological difference. I think it's something to do with whether there was a partition between them in the womb or not... Also they'd might share a lot more features apart from the sex diferences than non-identical twins.

Advertisement