Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you just don't get

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

:confused:
    If you get a sore thoat and keep spitting it goes away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Why so many people feel the need to spit in public? Some parts of Dublin (especially O'Connell St) are covered in disgusting saliva and phlegm. I accidently stepped on a big wet slippery one on the way to the bus stop a few days ago. Hideous!!

Why so many people, who are perfectly logical and reasonable in every other aspect of their lives, believe in a God but think the idea of intelligent life on other planets/galaxies is ridiculous?

It's usually the very belief in the former that stops the belief of the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

"if you had brains you'd be dangerous"

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'm super confused :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ciaran0

Apple products

The price of Apple products

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

cloud493 wrote: »
    I don't really interact with them to the degree to need to be able to tell the difference bewteen them, to be honest.

Ah, that explains it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Persistent trolls. Nowt better to do, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SlyBacon93

luckyfrank wrote: »
    SlyBacon93 wrote: »
    Alcohol
    It tastes horrible ,smells horrible and makes you feel like crap the next day and the buzz isn't that good either

i disagree
    Fair enough

blingrhino wrote: »
    Facebook- who gives a fcuk that your tired and going to bed :eek:
    Smoking ehh , this is killing u or maybe the experts are wrong .
    Dole payments - 3.5 times that of the uk

Reduce the benefits & see what happens, in that case. Civil unrest, I reckons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Irish men's fascination with Eastern European women. I mean... apart from been better looking, more polite, more feminine, easier to talk to, less materialistic, less bitchy and less demanding...what else do they have to offer??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Celeb culture.

The Euro Championship.

People who say 'cut the dole'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭whatsername42

Ugg boots...why spend a week's wages trying to look like a camel on speed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Women spending €300-plus on a handbag.

To be honest, a lot of the designer ones look absolutey godawful. Ugly monstrosities with a tiny label on them proudly on display. :D

Give me a holiday somewhere and a nice bag for €50 any day. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Irish men's fascination with Eastern European women. I mean... apart from been better looking, more polite, more feminine, easier to talk to, less materialistic, less bitchy and less demanding...what else do they have to offer??

less materialistic my ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Isis20

To be honest, a lot of the designer ones look absolutey godawful. Ugly monstrosities with a tiny label on them proudly on display. :D

Id rather have no bag and an even nicer holiday!

• Advertisement

The point of all status symbols is status. The point is waste. Waste proves wealth. Not all people are status seekers. I have two pairs of shoes, good and comfortable at any one time. All that anybody needs is the cheapest reliable car, computer, laptop, and washable clothing to keep out the cold.

Even in terms of looking good for special occasions a good suit does not have to cost an arm and a leg.

Brands are there to show that you are well off, it proves you can spend money of something of not real value, on clothing as good, or worse, than any other clothing at doing the main purpose which is covering your torso.

That exactyl. I mean, there's clearly a difference in quality between say, topman and Penneys. But I don't get like, paying 150e for a shirt or something :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I think €50 is way too much to spend on a bag!
    A few euro in Dunnes or Penny's does the job.

Bikers!!!
    Driving in traffic, overtakes you then pulls in front of you and sits there.

I think €50 is way too much to spend on a bag!
    A few euro in Dunnes or Penny's does the job.

I'm talking about a nice bag as a treat for myself. Personally, I usually go into TK Maxx - get my handbags there all the time ;)

• Advertisement

The point of all status symbols is status. The point is waste. Waste proves wealth. Not all people are status seekers. I have two pairs of shoes, good and comfortable at any one time. All that anybody needs is the cheapest reliable car, computer, laptop, and washable clothing to keep out the cold.

Even in terms of looking good for special occasions a good suit does not have to cost an arm and a leg.

Brands are there to show that you are well off, it proves you can spend money of something of not real value, on clothing as good, or worse, than any other clothing at doing the main purpose which is covering your torso.

Oh totally - a case of 'I'm wearing Tommy Hillfiger because I can'.

Whatever - you probably ate beans on toast for a week to pay for it, but whatever floats your boat.

Epensive clothes often fit better, I won't deny that, but it is the people that have to have designer everything, down to their socks that I find quite funny.

I have met many people in my life that would be considered well off and do not feel the need to parade around in designer gear. I suppose that is because we all know they are well off and they do not have to wear a label to prove it. :)

Oh totally - a case of 'I'm wearing Tommy Hillfiger because I can'.

Whatever - you probably ate beans on toast for a week to pay for it, but whatever floats your boat.

Epensive clothes often fit better, I won't deny that, but it is the people that have to have designer everything, down to their socks that I find quite funny.

I have met many people in my life that would be considered well off and do not feel the need to parade around in designer gear. I suppose that is because we all know they are well off and they do not have to wear a label to prove it. :)

Yes, and English aristocrats do that too. Old cars, old furniture - but that proves you have ancestors with furniture.

Still though, each to their own. One mans consumption is another man's income.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Irish men's fascination with Eastern European women. I mean... apart from been better looking, more polite, more feminine, easier to talk to, less materialistic

Ha ha! Seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Ah those crazy spendthrift eastern europeans, why can't they just learn to save, send a few quid home maybe, but no, life is just all bling and cristal with those crazy 24 hour party mother fúckers:D

Methinks there is a helluva lot of generalising going on about people some of you clearly have no social interaction with. I can't speak for this mythical, homgenous, generic mass of people some of you refer to as "Eastern Europeans" but the Polish people I am friends with are not particularly materialistic. If it's Polish people you mean (Poland is Central Europe, btw). My Romanian friend likes to look good (and why not), she's a mom who (despite being glassed by an Irish girl) enjoys our company.

Mere anecdotage, I realise but no worse than the generalisations flying around here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Fake tan, wtf??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Importing Evian or Volvic or any bottled water

Used to ask my students union about the stock in the college shop but got no answer or any interest.

It's not as if we lack Irish brands

But instead there is a demand to truck and ship water all the way from France and Switzerland. :confused:

Seems a bit mad

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Importing Evian or Volvic or any bottled water

Used to ask my students union about the stock in the college shop but got no answer or any interest.

It's not as if we lack Irish brands

But instead there is a demand to truck and ship water all the way from France and Switzerland. :confused:

Seems a bit mad

As mad as Ballygowan being sold outside of Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

That's different, Limerick needs jobs

I do think it's mad for an Irish college to be importing these brands and ignoring the local company, was Galway water
    And even cheaper to buy
    But they could have used any Irish brand

mikemac1 wrote: »
    That's different, Limerick needs jobs

I do think it's mad for an Irish college to be importing these brands and ignoring the local company, was Galway water
    And even cheaper to buy
    But they could have used any Irish brand

They could, I suppose but we do export so many brands to Europe & beyond, no harm in reciprocating, surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Totally agree. Just don't understand super-expensive handbags and shoes. I'd just lose it or break it anyway! Got a bag for €20 two years ago
    and it's still going fine. No need to spend several thousand! Shoes too - the most I've spent on shoes was around €110. I don't get why people spend obscene amounts of money on shoes. I'd be afraid to walk in them! And as far as I can tell, "more expensive" doesn't always mean "nicer".

In first year in college, we were studying a French film in which the male characters have a sort of hierarchy based on guns and cars. The lecturer asked us whether we thought women had a similar system and one female student said "Definitely bags and shoes. If a woman walked in here in Christian Louboutin shoes or with a Gucci bag, I think every woman here would recognise them and straight away know where this woman was in the hierarchy, we'd be impressed" and almost every other girl in the class nodded and agreed. I just sat there thinking "Great. By your definition, I'm actually a man..." :pac:

Totally agree. Just don't understand super-expensive handbags and shoes. I'd just lose it or break it anyway! Got a bag for €20 two years ago
    and it's still going fine. No need to spend several thousand! Shoes too - the most I've spent on shoes was around €110. I don't get why people spend obscene amounts of money on shoes. I'd be afraid to walk in them! And as far as I can tell, "more expensive" doesn't always mean "nicer".

In first year in college, we were studying a French film in which the male characters have a sort of hierarchy based on guns and cars. The lecturer asked us whether we thought women had a similar system and one female student said "Definitely bags and shoes. If a woman walked in here in Christian Louboutin shoes or with a Gucci bag, I think every woman here would recognise them and straight away know where this woman was in the hierarchy, we'd be impressed" and almost every other girl in the class nodded and agreed. I just sat there thinking "Great. By your definition, I'm actually a man..." :pac:

:D

Check out this vile monstrosity going for £200 on ebay.... so far... and it is bl**dy used :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Louis-Vuitton-Theda-Bag-Multicolour-Monogram-Print-/120936229015

old hippy wrote: »
    Methinks there is a helluva lot of generalising going on about people some of you clearly have no social interaction with. I can't speak for this mythical, homgenous, generic mass of people some of you refer to as "Eastern Europeans" but the Polish people I am friends with are not particularly materialistic. If it's Polish people you mean (Poland is Central Europe, btw). My Romanian friend likes to look good (and why not), she's a mom who (despite being glassed by an Irish girl) enjoys our company.

Mere anecdotage, I realise but no worse than the generalisations flying around here :)

You seem to have missed that the original post on Eastern European women was a rant against Irish women. They - the Eastern European women - were less materialistic, bitchy, better looking blah blah blah.

A minor bit of defence here for the Irish lass - and only on the materialistic issue - and you take umbrage?

Its political correctness gone mad, I tells ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,318 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah, I agree about the designer stuff. I couldn't tell what a bag was without looking at a label, or as is usually the case, big writing on it somewhere. But then I'm a guy so that's probably the reason. Though I can rarely tell the make and model of a car without seeing the badge.

Also when it comes to actual tags on these designer clothes, etc., I thought labels were meant to be on the inside. If I see a label on the outside, I would assume the article of clothing was on inside out. Then think was a Nokia model a few years ago had a label on the side that I thought was stupid. Looked okay otherwise, but I woulda just cut that label off.

Ah those crazy spendthrift eastern europeans, why can't they just learn to save, send a few quid home maybe, but no, life is just all bling and cristal with those crazy 24 hour party mother fúckers:D

Exactly, because all Eastern European women only go out with rich men with big cars and big houses. :rolleyes: I don't think they're impressed by that sort of thing at all. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Head

Head

Head?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Head?

He doesn't get head.
    No one gives any to him.
    It was a funny I think.

• Advertisement

Head?

head

** nods head **

You seem to have missed that the original post on Eastern European women was a rant against Irish women. They - the Eastern European women - were less materialistic, bitchy, better looking blah blah blah.

A minor bit of defence here for the Irish lass - and only on the materialistic issue - and you take umbrage?

In the interests of parity, I don't find either Irish or "Eastern European" women materialistic. But I suppose I must move in rarefied circles... :rolleyes:

I'd say the amount of space filled on these forums about women being materialistic/trashy/easy/fat/hairy etc is astounding. Almost sounds like bitchiness to me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭seXmym0nkey

He doesn't get head.
    No one gives any to him.
    It was a funny I think.

A funny that sooo many boardsies somehow think they were actually the first one to think of and so they post it without reading the thread. Do they really think they are the first person in ****ing AH to come up with that joke after 27 pages of a thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Clapping when a plane has landed, even after the most easy flight. You'd think some people were on a roller coaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

In a queue people who insist on counting their change at the till when they get their change back instead of stepping aside.

nelly17 wrote: »
    In a queue people who insist on counting their change at the till when they get their change back instead of stepping aside.

Little old women and their change counting. Please, count it approximately before you get there. About fifty percent of women seem shocked that its a monetary transaction. When asked for money, they startle, look a bit embarrassed - really, money? In a shop? - and fumble out the shoulder bag, which contains the handbag, which contains to purse.

• Advertisement

old hippy wrote: »
    In the interests of parity, I don't find either Irish or "Eastern European" women materialistic. But I suppose I must move in rarefied circles... :rolleyes:

I'd say the amount of space filled on these forums about women being materialistic/trashy/easy/fat/hairy etc is astounding. Almost sounds like bitchiness to me...

you hang with hippys, though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Clapping when a plane has landed, even after the most easy flight. You'd think some people were on a roller coaster.

Why, do people clap on roller coasters?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Sweenball

Woman queing & then using ATM's...why not get your card ready as you queue insted of spending 40 seconds rummaging in your bag when you get to the machine :mad:

Eastern Europe was largely unaffected by feminism. No traces of the ladette culture there apparently.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why are there both petrol and diesel cars? Surely one of them has a distinct advantage over the other and should be the only one to have survived? Which is the Betamax fuel?

• Advertisement
Advertisement