Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New "house tax" to be taken from your wages

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Links??

First I heard of it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Was mentioned on the news a few days ago. Doesn't bother me any, not having any property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

PM Moderator with source and we'll open thread

Edit
    Thanks, a helpful user sent a link. Added it to OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This 'story' is three days old. More kite flying from the government.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

snubbleste wrote: »
    This 'story' is three days old. More kite flying from the government.

But isnt this how the 100 euro household "tax" started out??

Big Phil seems to rather media shy these days,I wonder why??:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Those of us who pay our taxes would be very happy to see this.

I don't mind handing over money to my homies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Big Phil "Hulk" Hogan challenges all those who haven't payed their "house tax" to an all-in wrestling match. If he pins you, you have to pay up. If you manage to pin him, you get a free pass. (will post link later)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I love how an alleged recommendation from an agency which has yet to be submitted to the Government, is reported as fact when the red-tops get their hands on it.

Cue all the people bitching about Phil Hogan and the Government, even though they have nothing to do with this idea, for now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

paddy147 wrote: »
    But isnt this how the 100 euro household "tax" started out??
    Well no, it was not. The troika told the government to implement a property tax asap. Everyone knew that this was the case. Government put in a temporary 'household charge' to satisfy this condition before the real thing is implemented.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Big Phil "Hulk" Hogan challenges all those who haven't payed their "house tax" to an all-in wrestling match. If he pins you, you have to pay up. If you manage to pin him, you get a free pass. (will post link later)

Better still....1st "knockout" wins.;):D

There would be a massive que of people for that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Phil Hogan, Minister for pissing people off

Best idea ever though.. give people even more incentive to stop working or work for cash-in-hand instead.

I read a story last week sometime about how people who had paid late had their payments sent back because they didn't include the €13 penalty fee. What a bunch of fools.. it'll end up costing more than €13 to send payments back only to have to reprocess them again.

Irish Daily Mail,Evening Herald and also on TV3 too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Another way to tax people it seems this government is out to piss off everyone and we thought the last lot were bad. Phil Hogan is a bully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

So if 600k ppl's holmes didn't register the goverment dont know who owns those houses how can they take it from there wages?

Anyone who hasn't paid got any sort of contact regarding late payment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭FANTAPANTS

if they take any more outta my wages id be better off on the dole 260 a week between tax, prsi and other things for the government to keep their pay so fricking high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Considering that some people are still waiting for increased tax relief from the banks, might take employers the guts of 12 months too to update their systems to collect it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I don't see anything about collecting it from welfare payments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Alright, the Blueshirts need more money to bail out their pals in Anglo Irish?

Seriously, I am not owning the house, I am only renting, and they still want to take money out of my wages? :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

preddy wrote: »
    So if 600k ppl's holmes didn't register the goverment dont know who owns those houses how can they take it from there wages?

They just take it from everybody who has a job.
    If you have a job but are not a home owner you ll have to prove that to them and try to get your money back?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

cash in hand here we go, they're making far more problems for themselves than its worth

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

the house hold tax is an unfair charge,you bought your house you own your house,or otherwise and then they ****ing tax it?????

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

It’s understood Environment Minister Phil Hogan told his party the property tax should apply to all households which benefit from local authority services

I didn't know there were any..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Big Phil and Co need the money to stay in hotels in Brazil at $830 a night :rolleyes:

Hope all the 'tax compliant' folk can take some solace knowing your money went to good use, ie to enable big Phil to lie at a pool in Rio, looking like a VW beetle.

The oaf.

http://m.brne.ws/ireland/cost-of-environment-ministers-trip-to-brazil-criticised-555844.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Alright, the Blueshirts need more money to bail out their pals in Anglo Irish?

Seriously, I am not owning the house, I am only renting, and they still want to take money out of my wages? :mad:

:confused:

humanji wrote: »
    :confused:
    It's only applicable to owners and landlords afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

preddy wrote: »

+1

Also, if a household has two working parents who are both named on the deeds/mortgage, how does Big Phil decide who to tax? Does he tax only one of the people named on the deeds? Or tax both parents half the tax each?

And taxing people more will cause people to go on the dole, or to take cash-in-hand instead of working legitimately.

I'm all for a property tax, but I don't see this tripe working tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Would ye ever stop giving out about poor Phil Hogan!
    The poor man is suffering with his nerves from the stress of it all.
    Its gotten that bad that the man has had to jet off to a Rio resort for a week summit, and only charge to the state a night for his bedroom to rest in.
    He's even had to bring 5 others with him to ease his stressful work there.
    I'm sure the €10,000 trip will all be of benefit to the country.

Why can't we all just have sympathy for him!

http://www.politics.ie/forum/current-affairs/191007-phil-hogan-heads-rio.html

While we all wish him well, say a holy prayer he don't sexually insult anyone over there!
    (Seems it might not be the first time if he does!) http://www.independent.ie/national-news/minister-apologises-for-crude-sexual-insult-3053882.html
    The state can do without being sued.
    After all we don't need another bill left to pay for others crimes - like we the public are paying 1.5 billion for the crimes of the men in frocks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Ghandee wrote: »
    It's only applicable to owners and landlords afaik.

Who then are able to put up the rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Big Phil and Co need the money to stay in hotels in Brazil at $830 a night :rolleyes:

Hope all the 'tax compliant' folk can take some solace knowing your money went to good use, ie to enable big Phil to lie at a pool in Rio, looking like a VW beetle.

The oaf.

http://m.brne.ws/ireland/cost-of-environment-ministers-trip-to-brazil-criticised-555844.html[/QUOTE]

830 a night isn't bad when you consider that they probably had to have all the furniture and the bed specially reinforced for the Hulkster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Biggins wrote: »
    Would ye ever stop giving out about poor Phil Hogan!
    The poor man is suffering with his nerves from the stress of it all.
    Its gotten that bad that the man has had to jet off to a Rio resort for a week summit, and only charge to the state a night for his bedroom to rest in.
    He's even had to bring 5 others with him to ease his stressful work there.
    I'm sure the €10,000 trip will all be of benefit to the country.

Why can't we all just have sympathy for him!

http://www.politics.ie/forum/current-affairs/191007-phil-hogan-heads-rio.html

While we all wish him well, say a holy prayer he don't sexually insult anyone over there!
    (Seems it might not be the first time if he does!) http://www.independent.ie/national-news/minister-apologises-for-crude-sexual-insult-3053882.html
    The state can do without being sued.
    After all we don't need another bill left to pay for others crimes - like we the public are paying 1.5 billion for the crimes of the men in frocks!

Thanks for highlighting this wastage/their claims and expense/abuse.

Far too much people bent over far too quickly regarding the household charge and the money/tax they pay goes towards supporting such wastage and keeping them in such a lifestyle. I mean like was that trip abroad really necessary?

All of these small claims and expenses really do add up.

While they cut blind persons allowances, young disabled peoples allowances, SNAs, DCA for carers of those with a disabilty, etc.

Well done, bola bus mór to everyone who paid and is supporting this and the lifestyles of the TDs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

teeheehee this should take the wind out of the sails of all those jumping up and down furiously announcing that they would never, ever pay the tax, and would go to jail rather than do so. :D

hondasam wrote: »
    Phil Hogan is a bully.

How so?

Einhard wrote: »
    teeheehee this should take the wind out of the sails of all those jumping up and down furiously announcing that they would never, ever pay the tax, and would go to jail rather than do so. :D

I'm glad you take so much pleasure in dissing other peoples principles and beliefs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

How so?

He thinks he can force people to do what he wants them to do that's how so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

He can. You have the people of Carlow and Kilkenny to thank for that.

What did people think was going to happen when they voted for FG?

Phil Hogan is a bully.
    How so?

* Pay up or we'll come to your door!
    * Pay up or we'll take it from your wages!
    * Pay or or we will take it from your your social welfare!
    * Pay up or we'll drag 400,000+ into court! (I'm looking forward to seeing this!)

...And if he/they don't bully, its considered by many as/or also scare tactics!

Meanwhile he won't even bloody pay his own home tax elsewhere!

I'm glad you take so much pleasure in dissing other peoples principles and beliefs.

That's a new one! Refusing to pay the tax is now a principle and belief. Tell ya what, why not just make it a religion and then you won't have to pay tax...oh wait a minute...

I s'pose you'd argue that Mick Wallace's refusal to pay tax was also an example of a strongly held principle, and therefore he should receive no criticism?

Oh don't be so childish. The government was elected in a democratic fashion, and implemented a tax that it promised before the election that it would establish. Now they're collecting that tax, just as they collect VAT, PAYE, excise and others. Do you think the government are bullies for forcing people to pay other taxes, or for forcing them to wear seat belts?
    Biggins wrote: »
    * Pay up or we'll come to your door!
    * Pay up or we'll take it from your wages!
    * Pay or or we will take it from your your social welfare!
    * Pay up or we'll drag 400,000+ into court! (I'm looking forward to seeing this!)

...And if he/they don't bully, its considered by many as/or also scare tactics!

There has to be consequences for non-payment of taxes. The idea that people are outraged that there might be such consequences is nonsensical. Seriously, the arguments of the No side on this are getting more and more childish. Waaaaaaaaaaaah, the mean gubberment is forcing me to pay my taxes. Waaah!!! Seriously, it's weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

self employed, i write the cheques. And i'll still go to jail than before i pay a rent on my home. teefeckinhee.....

• Advertisement

bgrizzley wrote: »
    self employed, i write the cheques. And i'll still go to jail than before i pay a rent on my home. teefeckinhee.....

Off ye go then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

bgrizzley wrote: »
    Fair enough if you could just stop using the roads, schools, water, police, fire services, justice system, ambulance service, health service and all the other facilities like airports that tax payers pay for we don't mind you not paying a perfectly valid and sensible wealth tax that every other country in Europe levies.

...Waaaaaaaaaaaah, the mean gubberment is forcing me to pay my taxes. Waaah!!! Seriously, it's weird.

The fact is that when something is considered unfair by very many, shoved down their throats, each one of those persons should exercise their ability by peaceful means to stand up to what they consider unfair.

Just because sometimes things are written into legal law, does not make them morally right and fair!
    ..And if such instances are found, they should be stood up to any any peaceful means possible.

...And if anyone that wants to shove those unfair means further down on the public, well frankly, they and their supporters can go stuff themselves while they continue to emit the usual justification bile as miserable excuse for continuing the unfairness of the process!

Fair enough if you could just stop using the roads, schools, water, police, fire services, justice system, ambulance service, health service and all the other facilities like airports that tax payers pay for we don't mind you not paying a perfectly valid and sensible wealth tax that every other country in Europe levies.

You forgot the library....
    Thats what i pay the myriad of other taxes for, (but ive no problem not using them if you will pay it all back)
    Also can you please tell me where is my wealth for this wealth tax? (locked up in my mortgage for the next 20 years, perhaps?)

Schools? Education became free in Ireland recently did it?
    Water, meters being introduced next year.
    Fire service/ambulance = callout fees.
    Health service, A&E charges, GP charges, hefty prescription charges.
    Roads, highest motor tax in Europe, tolled roads, extremely high fuel tax.

What does our income tax go towards anyway?

And your sprouting about a 'wealth tax'?

What wealth is there in a house that has lost 70% of its value since I bought it in 2006?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

What does our income tax go towards anyway?

Its about €13 Billion, doesn't even cover Public Service pay, bit more than half the welfare bill.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Its about €13 Billion, doesn't even cover Public Service pay, bit more than half the welfare bill.

Or in Government parlance "the price of 3250000000 pints" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Oh look, Phil Hogan has no intention of taking money directly from your wages!

What a surprise that an unconfirmed source reported by the Sun turned out to be false. :rolleyes:

Is anyone who made comments about Phil Hogan being a money-grabber on this thread going to admit that they were wrong, or will you just dodge the issue by rabbling on about the household charge and Rio and other such nonsense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

I remember in my home country the employer would get notice from the revenue when somebody didn't pay taxes or traffic fines and it would be taken of their wages. The minimal wage had to be paid but anything above could go to the revenue.

I'm not in favour of taxing at source but if somebody doesn't pay their taxes and makes no effort then I can't see why not. Btw taxes in Ireland are actually pretty low.

analucija wrote: »
    I remember in my home country the employer would get notice from the revenue when somebody didn't pay taxes or traffic fines and it would be taken of their wages. The minimal wage had to be paid but anything above could go to the revenue.

I'm not in favour of taxing at source but if somebody doesn't pay their taxes and makes no effort then I can't see why not. Btw taxes in Ireland are actually pretty low.

analucija, you percieve the taxes here to be very low, but as a matter of interest whats the difference in the cost of living between here and your country?
    (ireland is the 5th most expensive place to live(in europe) according to the link below from last sept)

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/ireland-5th-most-expensive-eu-state-16049186.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement