Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New "house tax" to be taken from your wages

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

donalg1 wrote: »
    So pay for services and then you won't have to.

Yes and pigs will fly.

I'm just saying there is no point complaining about a lack of services if your not prepared to pay for them.

Are you going to continue to avail of local authorities services despite the fact you won't pay for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'm just saying there is no point complaining about a lack of services if your not prepared to pay for them.

Are you going to continue to avail of local authorities services despite the fact you won't pay for them

I will pay for my water and already pay all my other taxes. Other services non-existent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Muir wrote: »
    But it was meant to be a wealth tax on those who could afford to own property, and it's supposed to soon go up to some percentage of what the property itself is worth. It was introduced as a wealth tax.

If your home is in negative equity, where's the wealth in that?

I will pay for my water and already pay all my other taxes. Other services non-existent.

But you don't pay enough for the services provided by local authorities so I don't think you can say all the other taxes you pay are enough when they aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

what if your are a tenant in an apartment block.

• Advertisement

trellheim wrote: »
    Average prop tax in USA is 1180 but for NY I think you can go up to 10 times that and it is pretty severe I think if you don't pay it.

And?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

None of those other taxes are an attack on my home.

What's so special about your home?

seamus wrote: »

We need money to pay for local services. If you can think of a more logical place to get this money from than a property tax, then suggest it.

A 1% increase on income tax and a 5% reduction in social welfare payments.
    Simple isn't it.
    Everyone feels the pain and not just some sections of our society.
    BTW, stopping the pay rises in the PS would net over €250 million per year.
    There's more than one way to skin a cat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

The money is only going to make up the money the councils have been cut, so if they weren't providing services already they still wont provide them if tayto lover pays them because they still wont have any extra money.

And yes, the household tax is going to councils, because the money that used to go to them is now going to bail out the banks etc.

gerryo777 - I'm not saying that everyone who owns a home is wealthy (or those paying of mortgages), I'm saying that the government introduced this as a wealth tax. I don't agree with anyone having to pay it.
    My point is that it is supposed to be a wealth tax, but of course it's not just the wealthy being taxed and soon they will impose it on everyone regardless of how much they earn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

But you don't pay enough for the services provided by local authorities so I don't think you can say all the other taxes you pay are enough when they aren't.

Hey Mr Donal, are you actually Phil Hogan with the speal your spouting???

You say we dont pay enough, who are you to say that, will you just agree with whatever Inda Kinny tells you to do?
    We were paying enough in the good times,
    Or maybe your just a windup merchant, thats the most plausable after having read some of your previous posts, waffle sir, of the highest order!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Simple isn't it.

Not everyone pays income tax. One of the purposes of introducing a property tax is to broaden the tax base.

One thing (one of the many) we got caught out on in the good years is the we were overly reliant on a fairly narrow base.

What's so special about your home?

That's the word "my". I have priceless paintings hidden in the basement.

Not everyone pays income tax. One of the purposes of introducing a property tax is to broaden the tax base.

One thing (one of the many) we got caught out on in the good years is the we were overly reliant on a fairly narrow base.

Most people are either paying income tax or on a welfare payment.

What about the PS, over a quarter of a billion in pay rises every year since the recession began.

hawkelady wrote: »

You say we dont pay enough, who are you to say that, will you just agree with whatever Inda Kinny tells you to do?
    Or maybe your just a windup merchant, thats the most plausable after having read some of your previous posts, waffle sir, of the highest order!!!

Its quite clear Local Authorities income is way below than what it used to be I think everyone knows that.

Are you telling me that you actually think Local Authorities are taking in as much money this year as they were five years ago?

My previous posts that make more sense than the above post and are more on topic than the above post. Maybe you should discuss the actual topic rather than making personal attacks on posters.:rolleyes:

Circles donal, you're going round in circles. We've been here before. Let them rise income tax or whatever, i'm not paying a Home Tax.

Circles donal, you're going round in circles. We've been here before. Let them rise income tax or whatever, i'm not paying a Home Tax.

Hey Tayto, have you seen who's back? post 144.
    He must have been away with phil......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

What about the PS, over a quarter of a billion in pay rises every year since the recession began.

Not for everyone in the PS, I know people in the PS who have had severe cuts to wages. It's many of the higher ups in the PS, not the average worker. People seem to think everyone in the PS is earning a fortune.

Why not cut social welfare, raise income tax and introduce a property tax and water charges imo they should all be done and most likely will be with the exception of cutting Social Welfare probably

Thats your choice and you are entitled to do so, I was just making the point that you cant give out about the lack of services being provided until you pay your taxes thats all. But yeah we are just going to go around in circles so I cant be bothered.

Hey Tayto, have you seen who's back? post 144.
    He must have been away with phil......

Heard he was in Portugal alright trying to sort out Hulk's mess before going on to Germany to lift up the tail of Angela's coat.

• Advertisement

Heard he was in Portugal alright trying to sort out Hulk's mess before going on to Germany to lift up the tail of Angela's coat.

Isn't that the same 'hulk' who won't pay the service charge on his luxury flat in Portugal because as he said himself "would you pay for a service your not happy with?"
    I'd say it's a long time since angela's coat was lifted:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭jluv

Have paid taxes for the last 30 years.Paid development fees when building house.How many thousands would that come to? Still no lighting on road. The local park was paid by community.Great tidy towns group here who keep the streets and green areas.No library.Pay for health care.
    If that much was accomplished with thousands how much will be accomplished with €100? Think of all the development that went on in the boom yet by-roads are actually unsafe in areas around here. Services I think not,registration fee,yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

This video was taken before a referendum to abolish property tax was defeated in north dakota, usa, but the I still think the message of the video the problem with property taxes is worth sharing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

We need money to pay for local services. If you can think of a more logical place to get this money from than a property tax, then suggest it.

Last week sinn fein put forward alternatives before their bill was voted down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

it's just the start..

That lad in the video is 100% right. The tail is now wagging the dog. I'm still not paying.

Jesus lads the E-voting machines that cost 55 million are being sold to some scrap dealer in Offaly for 70 thousand. Another example of our useless politicians and Big Phil grinning on the news saying "i'm glad to get rid of them" !!! Another example of political waste now confined to history. The sad thing is that WE paid for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Simple isn't it.

Except FG have pledged no income tax rate increases and Labour no cuts to welfare rates and they were manifesto pledges AFAIK, and they got over 50% of the vote.

What is this emotional attachment to a house people go on about? Something to do with the Field or something!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Except FG have pledged no income tax rate increases and Labour no cuts to welfare rates and they were manifesto pledges AFAIK, and they got over 50% of the vote.

What is this emotional attachment to a house people go on about? Something to do with the Field or something!

F.G. won't mind breaking their promises at all. Well they didn't with the rest of them anyway.
    Property is a very emotive subject in Ireland. It comes from Cromwell's time i'd say.

• Advertisement

F.G. won't mind breaking their promises at all. Well they didn't with the rest of them anyway.[/b]

Oh indeed, politicians in breaking promises shocker! Still, they seem to be the 2 promises both parties are taking seriously, I don't agree with them personally, but they seem to be trying everything to stick to them and one seems dependent on the other. Many of us moan when they don't stick to promises, like you just did.

I'm a bit of a realist and don't really go on manifestos, programmes for Government are where it's at.

Property is a very emotive subject in Ireland. It comes from Cromwell's time i'd say.

Emotive often means irrational!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Oh indeed, politicians in breaking promises shocker! Still, they seem to be the 2 promises both parties are taking seriously, I don't agree with them personally, but they seem to be trying everything to stick to them and one seems dependent on the other. Many of us moan when they don't stick to promises, like you just did.

I'm a bit of a realist and don't really go on manifestos, programmes for Government are where it's at.

Emotive often means irrational!

Maybe we should just have a Dutch Auction or a raffle instead of elections and manifestos in future.

I'm irrational because I own my home :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Simple isn't it.

All I had is cuts in the past two years, nobody I know has had an increase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

If you saw the road outside my home you would see that there are little or no services being provided. The street in the nearby town are rarely swept, lights not working on many poles. There is very little funds going to services because blah, blah, blah, bondholders, rable, rable, rable, Angela's, rabble, rabble, Enda.

Maybe if you paid up, those issue would get sorted. Just a thought.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

In fairness where did the councils get the money before off the exchequer - this is a stealth tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In fairness where did the councils get the money before off the exchequer - this is a stealth tax.
    We've got an economic genius over here. Call off the recession, I think he's just discovered where we can get the money.

• Advertisement

Maybe we should just have a Dutch Auction or a raffle instead of elections and manifestos in future.

Or you could use your head and try and guess what parts of manifestos are likely to be implemented, particularly important in a country that has coalitions.
    I'm irrational because I own my home :rolleyes:

Well you haven't given any rational reason for not taxing it.

Or you could use your head and try and guess what parts of manifestos are likely to be implemented, particularly important in a country that has coalitions.

Your opinions and obviously you don't like me slating off lying politicians but i will continue to slate off liars despite your attempts at insults. Cheers.

Maybe if you paid up, those issue would get sorted. Just a thought.

Well they weren't sorted out by all the other taxes I paid so i'm boubtful about that.

Your opinions and obviously you don't like me slating off lying politicians but i will continue to slate off liars despite your attempts at insults. Cheers.

I wonder sometimes what posts you be reading! Coalitions involve compromises which means some policies never get into agreements. That's a mature view of coalition politics.

Slating lying politicians I've no problem with whatsoever, read the lines in my posts, not what you think is in between them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hogan "claims" that 60% of people have paid the charge.

Where did he get that from when he doesnt even know how many houses there are in Ireland.

1.6.1.7 or 1.8 million??

Do you know Mr Hogan?????

Wheres all your big threatening TV speeches these days then????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Where To wrote: »
    Those of us who pay our taxes would be very happy to see this.

I paid, and I'm not happy :pac:

Still worried about when this temporary tax is replaced by property tax! :eek:

To be fair, homes are neither optional nor in themselves earn money, both of which are typically used as the primary basis for tax. Nor do they, in themselves, add to public expenses.

Properties that earn money are already taxed (corporation tax if to do with zoning, otherwise covered by income tax)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

paddy147 wrote: »
    Hogan "claims" that 60% of people have paid the charge.

Where did he get that from when he doesnt even know how many houses there are in Ireland.

As I understand it, his Department officials sat down with the NPPR, PTRB, Revenue Commissioners and ESB, agreed on protocols to share their data, and they came up with a ballpark figure of how many properties in the state were potentially liaible. Not rocket science.

I wonder sometimes what posts you be reading! Coalitions involve compromises which means some policies never get into agreements. That's a mature view of coalition politics.

Slating lying politicians I've no problem with whatsoever, read the lines in my posts, not what you think is in between them.

Coalition of Labour & F.G = F.F. in many peoples eyes now. We were sold a pup.

Coalition of Labour & F.G = F.F. in many peoples eyes now. We were sold a pup.

Think of it like this, an Independent candidate on the campaign trail saying if he is elected he will do this, this and the other, so people vote for him, he gets elected and cant deliver on his promises as he has no actual power to do so given that he is just one man or the others in Government want to go a different way and so they out vote him on his main election promises. Is he then a liar or are those people that voted for him thinking he could deliver on all his pre election promises just naive.

The point is no politician is ever going to be able to fully deliver on all their pre election promises. If they could do that we would then be a dictatorship.

Think of it like this, an Independent candidate on the campaign trail saying if he is elected he will do this, this and the other, so people vote for him, he gets elected and cant deliver on his promises as he has no actual power to do so given that he is just one man or the others in Government want to go a different way and so they out vote him on his main election promises. Is he then a liar or are those people that voted for him thinking he could deliver on all his pre election promises just naive.

The point is no politician is ever going to be able to fully deliver on all their pre election promises. If they could do that we would then be a dictatorship.

Has this shower delivered on any of them?

Has this shower delivered on any of them?

I think they said they werent going to touch the basic Social Welfare Rates which they havent as yet, thats just off the top of my head could be wrong. I am sure if you dug back through their election promises you would find at least one they have delivered upon.

Again though the point was its naive to actually think Politicians will deliver on their promises, they exist for one reason only and that is to get elected, get into power and stay there. FF did it for years when the Country was going down the sh**ter they were focussing on their next election campaign.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Just watching Noonan waffle away here on RTE News on how he got Ireland a better deal.

Even though hes just desperately "piggybacking" off of Spain and Italy,and their blatant upfront threats to Europe.

Noonan really is in a fantasy world and I think he actually believes what he says.Hes only fooling himself though

You negoiated NOTHING Noonan.

Noonan and Kenny are absolute Clowns and the Irish People and all of Europe sees it too.

hawkelady wrote: »

Seriously is that it, you call me a WUM and accuse me of waffle yet you appear on this thread post the above silly garbage and then disappear? You never even responded to the questions I asked you in my response to this.

I think the fact you come here to say the above without anything to back it up shows that you were trolling at the time.:rolleyes: Or maybe it is you that is the WUM.

Advertisement