Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the job prospects like in California?

Options
  • 19-06-2012 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi

For a person with a visa (greencard) what are the job prospects like. I know hubby will get a job easily as he has a few contacts over in California, but what about job prospects for women. I would ideally love to work in something like administration / receptionist.

I have heard its pretty tough out there!!!

Not sure I should go with him to begin with as I have a full time job and am afraid to give it up!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Jobs are hard to get anywhere right now, and admin jobs tend to be badly paid- $ 7-10 an hour with few benefits.

Have a look at monster.com or indeed.com to see what is out there in the area you are planning to move to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Double digit unemployment in California, when it's only about 5 to 5.5% during non-recessionary times. Extraordinary State debt has resulted in programme cuts, hiring freezes, and layoffs by Governor Jerry Brown, so civil service has been adversely impacted in addition to private sector. This is not a good time to be looking for work in California.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭happyclapper

Thanks for replying so quickly... Yikes! Now I really am scared!!! Its only because my hubby has a job lined up in San Fran that we are thinking of going there... But it wouldn't be worth me going and losing my job here if it will be impossible to get anything!!

It's not a suprise though as I do know others have found it tough. I have been looking at craigslist but even though I have eight years experience, I don't know would I stand a chance against Americans with American qualifications, references and experience.

Will have to think about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Thanks for replying so quickly... Yikes! Now I really am scared!!! Its only because my hubby has a job lined up in San Fran that we are thinking of going there... But it wouldn't be worth me going and losing my job here if it will be impossible to get anything!!

It's not a suprise though as I do know others have found it tough. I have been looking at craigslist but even though I have eight years experience, I don't know would I stand a chance against Americans with American qualifications, references and experience.

Will have to think about it!

What kind of visa does he/will he have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

silja wrote: »
    Jobs are hard to get anywhere right now, and admin jobs tend to be badly paid- $ 7-10 an hour with few benefits.

Have a look at monster.com or indeed.com to see what is out there in the area you are planning to move to.

Admin work in San Francisco where I'm currently based is paying between $20 to $25 per hour at the moment but the cost of living is a lot higher. It's seems pretty easy to get admin work here, I got three interviews within a week and one job offer. Eventually got a job through a contact that paid better though so actually turned down that one.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply HavingCrack... I would be delighted with that salary to start. A lot less than what I get paid here (work in banking), but would be willing to take less to get in the door. I have lots of experience with working on the reception and doing admin work, but was afraid I wouldn't have a hope without the US experience and qualifications. Just did the Fetac Business Administration Level 6 just to bulk up on the CV besides just the banking / finance degree I have! Just didn't know how competitive it is out there but your post gives me hope.

Can I ask, did you get the job through applying on Craigslist or Monster or is it better to go through and agency or something?

Really do appreciate the advice!

Can I ask, did you get the job through applying on Craigslist or Monster or is it better to go through and agency or something?

Best to do all three.

As long as you dont pay the Agency anything they cant do any harm, and they do come up with jobs, they'll tell you all sorts of lies to get you to sign up with them so bear that in mind. I wouldnt rely on one either you should be looking on your own as well.

The very best way of course is through contacts or inside info. Contacting a company before it has to go to the hassle of advertising is good.

I believe the average job hunt is something like eleven months?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Seems realistic. I spent over 15 months looking for my current job. I applied every day to every relative job on craigslist and monster. I also looked up local companies with a software department and applied to as many jobs as I could find on websites. Sometimes, I even applied when there wasn't a position open. I would assume it's similar back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 hannah8998

Yikes, I'm actually considering heading to Cali myself but now I'm terrified.

Nobody wants to hire me here. They all say I have too much experience. Friend suggested to me that a bigger country might have bigger prospects but alas she was wrong.

Good luck to you though!

hannah8998 wrote: »

Nobody wants to hire me here. They all say I have too much experience. Friend suggested to me that a bigger country might have bigger prospects but alas she was wrong.

Good luck to you though!

Im the same hannah... This thread has scared me! But at least I will be jobless in the dry weather rather than rain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Raaad

Good luck to you though!

Problem might be y'all are headed to Cali, economy in Texas and all along the Gulf Coast is great.

Nobody wants to hire me here. They all say I have too much experience.

You can always drop some details off your CV? Is omission a lie? I dont think so.

I'm old enough now that I customize CV's for whoever I'm giving it to, take some stuff out put other stuff in. etc.

Advertisement