Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deep Section front wheel issue

Options
  • 19-06-2012 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭

Reading snack_ie's IM Lanza race report, brought up an issue with significant vibrating/jerking of the front wheel while braking.

I had the same experience @ Abu Dhabi and in the wind it was a major issue. In my case front wheel is SRAM S80, with alu breaking surface. Pads look OK and no buckle or rim damage is apparent.

Any thoughts*?

*or do I take my chances in the cycling forum...:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Izoard wrote: »
    Reading snack_ie's IM Lanza race report, brought up an issue with significant vibrating/jerking of the front wheel while braking.

I had the same experience @ Abu Dhabi and in the wind it was a major issue. In my case front wheel is SRAM S80, with alu breaking surface. Pads look OK and no buckle or rim damage is apparent.

Any thoughts*?

Had this whilst going down a Wicklow hill at speed recently!

Turned out to be a slightly loose steerer/headset/fork.

I think brake pads can also affect it or warped wheel but hopefully that's unlikely.

Check all steering/fork bolts for correct torque would be first in my experience.

Thereafter, I'm out :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

on alu braking surfaces its not going to be grabbiness that carbon rims get. Think Fazz has it right with the headset.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭pARTner81

Izoard wrote: »

Any thoughts*?

Try lifting the front of your bike, hold the stem in one hand and the top tube in the other and push and pull them to and away from each other, if there's any play in that action that will be your problem. You should also check the front brake for any loose movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

tunney wrote: »
    on alu braking surfaces its not going to be grabbiness that carbon rims get. Think Fazz has it right with the headset.

Is it normal on carbon breaking surface? I get something similar on mine every now and then... feels like the pads catch or bind on breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Cheers - the excuse I need to actually dust off the tri bike after 4 months of neglect and give it some TLC...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mloc123 wrote: »
    Is it normal on carbon breaking surface? I get something similar on mine every now and then... feels like the pads catch or bind on breaking.

Its not uncommon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Sounds similar to what I experienced at the weekend. Mine is/was headset related. Going to LBS tomorrow as it happened before and not happy about it happening again.

Advertisement