Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD owners - are they worth it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DaleHyland

I'm going to be putting a samsung 830 in my new rig. My current computer has a hard drive that's only sata 1 , so this is going to be an insane difference, I'm dying with the excitement.

Don't they just look awesome too?

DaleHyland wrote: »
    Don't they just look awesome too?

Here's a naked one. Found it in a bin - it was intermittently locking up but the warranty was voided due to a chipped SATA power connector. A firmware update and secure erase did the job nicely. :D This is the one I used in the video earlier. Pity I've no use for it... yet.

209658.jpg

209659.jpg

209660.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

im going to bed now and im actually going to shut my computer down

no hibernation.. no sleep mode. just shut it down.

madness

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Karsini, you need to tell me where you find these bins!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Can someone link me to the proper samsung ssd for my PC from dabs.ie before I order it.
    Is it THIS one?
    Even though it says it's for laptop?
    Dabs has this one that says for desktop but it's dearer
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/samsung-128gb-830-series-sata-6gb-s-2-5--solid-state-drive-desktop-kit---free-norton-ghost-15-7S2J.html?refs=56350000&src=3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

There is a Basic, Laptop & Desktop kit just get the cheapest one.
    The only difference in the kits is the extra stuff you get in the box with the kit, I think, but don't quote me on this, desktop you get a SATA cable laptop you get a USB to SATA adapter and basic you don't get any of that but it's the very same SSD.

I've just ordered the Samsung 830 from dabs.
    How easy is it to install on my pc and keep my hdd just for storage and use ssd for windows 7 and program's only.
    Looking forward to gettin this

iggy wrote: »
    I've just ordered the Samsung 830 from dabs.
    How easy is it to install on my pc and keep my hdd just for storage and use ssd for windows 7 and program's only.
    Looking forward to gettin this

piss easy

youll probably need a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter for it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0037SHEAQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

i have this, so simple.

You don't even need an adapter for it.
    SSDs have no moving parts unlike HDDs so they don't need to be as secure as a HDD. So you can actually just leave an SSD sitting in the case you don't have to mount it to anything. A lot of people just Velcro strips or double sided tape to stick the drive to the case somewhere, or you could just leave it lying in an empty HDD bay or on the floor of the case.

In terms of installing Windows. I would recommend doing a new installation.
    Unplug the SATA cable from the HDD
    Go into the BIOS switch the SATA devices to ACHI mode. (Steps for this depend on your motherboard)
    Install Windows
    Plug the HDD back in :)

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    You don't even need an adapter for it.
    SSDs have no moving parts unlike HDDs so they don't need to be as secure as a HDD. So you can actually just leave an SSD sitting in the case you don't have to mount it to anything. A lot of people just Velcro strips or double sided tape to stick the drive to the case somewhere, or you could just leave it lying in an empty HDD bay or on the floor of the case.

In terms of installing Windows. I would recommend doing a new installation.
    Unplug the SATA cable from the HDD
    Go into the BIOS switch the SATA devices to ACHI mode. (Steps for this depend on your motherboard)
    Install Windows
    Plug the HDD back in :)

Cheers
    Do I need to format my hdd that already has Windows on it?
    My motherboard is Asrock M3A77ode.

• Advertisement

you dont "need" to format, no
    although ive always had a horrible time trying to delete a previous windows installation from an old HD, so I just end up formatting anyway once I've backed up everything i want

once you have enable the 'achi' option in the bios, before you install windows on the ssd.. the windows you have on the non-ssd drive wont be able to boot.
    it'll go to the loading screen, you'll see the little loading animation.. and it'll just cut straight back to reboot. so once you have the achi on and the windows installed on the ssd, that's the only one you can use.

if you disable the ahci on the bios you'll be able to boot back into the non-ssd windows, but im not sure if that means you wont be able to boot into the ssd windows. I just left it on, now that I have windows installed on an ssd i'm never going back to a normal HD.

you wont believe the difference until you experience it. it's fantastic.

No need to format it, in-fact I definitely wouldn't format it until you have the SSD up and running.
    Once you unplug the HDD before you start to install Windows onto the SSD you will be fine.

Then once you have Windows on the SSD I would plug the HDD back in.
    You then have two options, clean up the HDD leaving just the document/media stuff on it, i.e. deleting the Windows & programs folders
    or
    Backup all the important stuff like the documents/media to another HDD or the SSD if it fits, then format the HDD and move all the media files back over to the now clean HDD.

Advertisement