Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavier weight vs better form

Options
  • 19-06-2012 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Most of the advice Ive received over the last few months from people about bulking up seems to be to lift as heavy as I can in each of my reps. So Ive been doing that and Ive been increasing the weight as much as possible but what Ive noticed is that when my form isn’t great on heavier weights. Im starting to think that I should just drop back slightly on the weight of each exercise so my form is better and I can isolate the area Im working on or should I keep trying to lift as heavy as possible and ignore the drop in good form? Is there any real advantage to heavier weight and slightly worse form over good form and slightly less weight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭SorGan

you have the right idea, if you cant keep good form then its too heavy, drop back a bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blindasfcuk

Thanks I figured I probably should alright

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NiallFH

I would imagine people saying as heavy as you can mean, as heavy as you can while maintaining good form (hopefully).

Its something you see a lot though, people with weights that are too heavy for them, I know a few personally who are quite bad for it and in the 4 or 5 months since they started lifting have made little to no progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blindasfcuk

Ya Ive actually dropped down the weight a lot on each of my sets now and I noticed a massive difference in being able to target particular muscles so hopefully thats going to make a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

NiallFH wrote: »
    I would imagine people saying as heavy as you can mean, as heavy as you can while maintaining good form (hopefully).

Its something you see a lot though, people with weights that are too heavy for them, I know a few personally who are quite bad for it and in the 4 or 5 months since they started lifting have made little to no progress.

Yeah I think you're right in that 'heavy as possible' comes with the caveat of 'while maintaining form'.

I do think that there's an argument for a slight loss of form if you are trying to increase the weight for the first time but if you are constantly using poor form then it's much less beneficial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

True do lift as heavy as you can but make sure the majority reps are clean, cheating or being a bit off on the last 1 or 2 reps to complete a set in order to blast the mucle is beneficial but if your off from the get go, lower the weight otherwise your only kidding yourself. :)

Advertisement