Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are you an atheist?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭PBroderick

Galvasean wrote: »
    Are you new to the internet?

Do you know something? As Christian as I am, I wish you would **** off and leave me alone. You are following me around this website like a bad smell. **** off away from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

PBroderick wrote: »
    Do you know something? As Christian as I am, I wish you would **** off and leave me alone. You are following me around this website like a bad smell. **** off away from me.

*Blows a kiss*

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Not my fault you started posting (crap) in two of my favourite forums. Here's something you may not have noticed; I have been frequenting these forums very regularly since long before you arrived (and by the look of it, will continue to do so long after you are gone).
    I think you need to get over your paranoia and stop dropping bombs at every opportunity. You'll get more respect. Personally, I'm beginning to regret that my first interaction with you on these boards was to come out in defense of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Not my fault you started posting (crap) in two of my favourite forums. Here's something you may not have noticed; I have been frequenting these forums very regularly since long before you arrived (and by the look of it, will continue to do so long after you are gone).
    I think you need to get over your paranoia and stop dropping bombs at every opportunity. You'll get more respect. Personally, I'm beginning to regret that my first interaction with you on these boards was to come out in defense of you.
    For **** sake Galvasean, will you ever stop your ***************** posts. You've clearly had this nefarious scheme in the works for decades. :P I swear to God, I didn't type numerous stars to make it resemble expletives...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

PBroderick, its not about finding truth or logical or even about being rational. For the vast Majority of Athesits there its about winning the argument. After all what is Atheism than a lack of belief? Not much to talk about but plenty to argue about.

• Advertisement

I couldn't give two shiny sh*tes about you and how long you've been on Boards, or how I've been posting in your "two favourite forums".

I'll say it one more time, get the **** away from me.

jank wrote: »
    PBroderick, its not about finding truth or logical or even about being rational. For the vast Majority of Athesits there its about winning the argument. After all what is Atheism than a lack of belief? Not much to talk about but plenty to argue about.

I agree Jank. What puzzles me is why Atheists get so riled about those who have a religion.

It is akin to me getting p-eed off about those who believe in Santa or the Moon Landings Conspiracy.

Why would it bother them what people believe if they know better?

I couldn't give two shiny sh*tes about you and how long you've been on Boards, or how I've been posting in your "two favourite forums".

I'll say it one more time, get the **** away from me.

No :pac:

Ah but seriously man, calm down. Things are not as sinister as you imagine they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

You could always just put him on ignore, and stop crying about him answering your posts and questions on a forum he's posted on some 5,000+ times.

Though I have to admit I'm quite fond of the butthurt enraged act you're pulling off. It brings a smile to my face before I head to bed :)

THIS THREAD CAN'T TAKE MUCH MORE CAPTAIN!!
    Full Reverse thrusters
    <<Too late!!>
    Brace for impact!!!

ST_Nemesis-crash_0.gif
    nemesis582.jpg

• Advertisement

No :pac:

Ah but seriously man, calm down. Things are not as sinister as you imagine they are.

GET AWAY FROM ME YOU SAD, SAD FAT MAN

tumblr_m46looxIi41qe9tnzo1_400.jpg

Dibs on being Han

jank wrote: »
    PBroderick, its not about finding truth or logical or even about being rational.

Surely, even as a Christian, you must have found the staggering irony of this to be mindblowing?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

GET AWAY FROM ME YOU SAD, SAD FAT MAN

post reported, no doubt it will only serve to fuel your paranoia :eek:

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Surely, even as a Christian, you must have found the staggering irony of this to be mindblowing?

But he's right. There are no discussions here to finding any truth, it is a forum that exists to poke fun at those who hold a religion, any religion.

It is a lack of any belief or morality, it is merely "we know better than you...hahaha"

There are open jokes, jibes, juvenile stuff that you don't expect on an Atheist Forum. It's surely quite embarrassing for considered, confirmed Atheists?

I go away for a cup of tea and return to be called fat? :eek:

So PBroderick, you disregard the entire Bible save one sentence and you can't even do that much right?
    It is also worth noting that what you are doing is the equivalent of sitting next t someone on a bus and screaming at them to get away from you (then calling a skinny man fat).

tumblr_m46looxIi41qe9tnzo1_400.jpg

Dibs on being Han

Han and Lando, such awesome names :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

But he's right. There are no discussions here to finding any truth, it is a forum that exists to poke fun at those who hold a religion, any religion.

It is a lack of any belief or morality, it is merely "we know better than you...hahaha"

There are open jokes, jibes, juvenile stuff that you don't expect on an Atheist Forum. It's surely quite embarrassing for considered, confirmed Atheists?
    Incorrect. For example, many a thread here deals with evolution, its evidence, and how to convince, say, fundamentalists of its truthfulness.

Atheism is NOT a lack of belief in morality... nor is it a lack of morality (your grammar here is quite jumbled, and the meaning is unclear - you're wrong in both cases anyway!) Where the f*ck did you get that definition???

Regarding your dislike of people poking fun at religions, I say to you, get over it. If people here consider others to have silly beliefs, they are entitled to say so.

I see you ignore the discussions we've had on evolution and other scientific discussions.

But for the most part yes, oddly enough, we discuss matter of a theological background and yes, point out the obvious and logical flaws of them.

When not posting in here, we have people who are well respected in the Palaeontology, History and Heritage, Skeptics and many many other forums.

And no, he's not right. Jank likes to run into threads with his arms waving that we're mocking religion (eg the Funny side of religion thread) or talking about news in the religious world (Ongoing religious scandals thread) and that we're not discussing State problems. And we do discuss State mess ups, just in the relevant threads.

edit:
    I'm not even going to touch on the 'morality' comment, because honestly, that's just a plain stupid thing to say.

When not posting in here, we have people who are well respected in the Palaeontology, History and Heritage, Skeptics and many many other forums.

In fairness I have not seen Wibbs post in A&A in quite some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

Definitely a lack of belief alright but a lack of morality? The mind boggles - do you honestly believe my lack of belief means I am an immoral person?

And of course there's going to be a lot of open jokes about religion on an atheist forum. If you're looking at religion from our point of view then it is funny how adults still believe they need to be told how to live their lives by a book written and compiled over 2000 years ago. But if you could see how that 's funny, well you'd probably be an atheist! :D

Ah bugger it, that's true.

So, IT-Guy, why are you an atheist?

This forum may poke fun at religion but that's not its only purpose. Everything and anything can get seriously discussion here. Stick around, have some faith in the posters here show some respect, common courtesy and you may just like it here.

If you'd like to discuss finding the "truth" I'd be more than happy to do so. Presently I believe the most efficient way to find the truth is to eliminate every false truth. As there is only a single truth and an infinite number of false ones I think it's best to doubt and be skeptical about every thing you believe. So in effect, what I'm saying is that even if we do stumble onto the great truth of this cosmos we should forever doubt it because logically that is the only rational thing to do.

IT-Guy wrote: »
    Definitely a lack of belief alright but a lack of morality? The mind boggles - do you honestly believe my lack of belief means I am an immoral person?

And of course there's going to be a lot of open jokes about religion on an atheist forum. If you're looking at religion from our point of view then it is funny how adults still believe they need to be told how to live their lives by a book written and compiled over 2000 years ago. But if you could see how that 's funny, well you'd probably be an atheist! :D

I think anyone who disrespects someone else because they hold a religious belief has a clearly dodgy moral code. This may or may not include you, but certainly includes a number of contributors to this thread.

And as I said numerous times, the bible (new testament) is not a book of rules to live by - it is several different accounts of Jesus's life rewritten over 2,000 years. The details change but the message never changes.

Unfortunately for us all, the old intolerant "boy's club" exists right here in this little ol' forum just as it did in Israel 2,000 years ago, Berlin 80 years ago or Darfur 9 years ago.

If the Bible is the Word of God, words inspired by God and written by men. Why do the details change?

And if you want to talk about a "dodgy moral code", I'm sure we can go over the thousands of child abuse scandals, murder of homosexuals, corrupt Vatican officials taking bribes from Mafia members, psychopathic terrorists (of many religions) murdering innocent people for their "faith" in a God.

Or is it much worse that we poke fun at people, and also attempt to educate them on the -realities- of the world?

edit:
    Nevermind, he's Godwinning it now. Shows over folks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

IT-Guy wrote: »

I think anyone who disrespects someone else because they hold a religious belief has a clearly dodgy moral code. This may or may not include you, but certainly includes a number of contributors to this thread.

And as I said numerous times, the bible (new testament) is not a book of rules to live by - it is several different accounts of Jesus's life rewritten over 2,000 years. The details change but the message never changes.

Unfortunately for us all, the old intolerant "boy's club" exists right here in this little ol' forum just as it did in Israel 2,000 years ago, Berlin 80 years ago or Darfur 9 years ago.
    One does not necessarily disrespect someone for holding a religious belief. The disrespect comes into play when one finds that another's beliefs are silly, be they religious or not.

Why should I respect your beliefs? What makes them so special that they are above disrespect? Should I respect the Westboro Baptist Church's beliefs? Or should I say, "f*ck your beliefs, it's a load of f*cking horse****". Personally, I choose the latter.

Disrespect? That's the worst kind of respect! :mad:

Who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Is it possible that you're confusing disrespect with lack of respect? A small but important distinction can be found there. There's also a difference between when that is directed at an individual or an idea, i.e. "You're an idiot for believing that." and "Your belief in that is idiotic.".

Do I disrespect people, no. Do I disrespect certain people's beliefs? Yes. The reason I do that is because I don't believe religious belief has any special exemption from being subjected to criticism and, when deserved, scorn.

If the message in the bible to you is not a guideline to living your life, what purpose does the message have?

Advertisement