Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bon Iver - The O2, Dublin - 12th November

Options
  • 19-06-2012 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2012/06/19/bon-iver-dublin-november/

It’s the return of Justin Vernon and the gang to a Dublin city-centre venue. Following on from their sold-out show at the Grand Canal Theatre last year, Bon Iver play The O2 on November 12. Tickets go on sale on Friday morning and are €39.50 and €36.50 a pop (plus Ticketmaster’s cabin tax).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Had a feeling they would be jumping to play arenas here.

Wonder if this will sell out by the date?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

karaokeman wrote: »
    Had a feeling they would be jumping to play arenas here.

I'm wondering the same..

I'd say it will but it will be interesting to see how long it takes..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Eod100 wrote: »
    I'm wondering the same..

I'd say it will but it will be interesting to see how long it takes..

I'd say a few sections will be cut off to make the gig smaller.

Not sure how much of the upper sections will be curtained off though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

karaokeman wrote: »

I'd be astonished if it did.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I'd be astonished if it did.

I think he will, or at least get very close to selling it out.

Sold the Grand Canal out last year in 5mins...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭nomoreindie

lordgoat wrote: »

Yeah, and that holds around 2000 people. This will do good business

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Too big a venue for the type of music I reckon...

Like, you gets loads of giving out on here about people chatting and traipsing in and out to the bar at rock gigs like Tom Petty at the O2 - it'll be an absolute nightmare for Bon Iver who deserve a bit of ciúnas...

lordgoat wrote: »

I think a Grand Canal gig is far more appealing than an O2 show though. I could see the venue size putting some people off. And I'm just not convinced he's a big enough draw for the O2. But the price is reasonable so that might swing it for him (if there's a decent support).

Jaysus, if this sells out in seconds I'm going to look like a right mug :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,882 ✭✭✭sporina

so will he or won't he play Electric Picnic. There is still space in his schedule.

Also, I do not know if I would like to see him in the 02. Its too big. But perhaps it would be ok if they only use a section of the venue - but do they do this in the 02?

Well the thing is the O2's capacity can be varied..

I don't know if the 02 will be filled to capacity but if it's not, I reckon the promoter's spin will be something along the lines of saying that they sold out all the tickets even if the capacity hasn't been reached..

• Advertisement

why oh why oh why won't he play ELECTRIC PICNIC???

sporina wrote: »
    why oh why oh why won't he play ELECTRIC PICNIC???

I guess it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that they'd play both..

They don't have any shows that weekend either. And POD run E.P and promote the Bon Iver gig.

But I think the two gigs are too close together for that to happen. I'm not sure there'd be enough people to see them at E.P and then again at the O2 2 months later..

Then again E.P is a completely different experience so you never know!

I'd be very surprised though!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Cant see them doing EP and o2 way to risky and could mean that the dublin show wont sell aswell . Ive heard of these guys but have never actually listened to them any recommendations , might decide to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭glanman

I think a Grand Canal gig is far more appealing than an O2 show though. I could see the venue size putting some people off. And I'm just not convinced he's a big enough draw for the O2. But the price is reasonable so that might swing it for him (if there's a decent support).

Jaysus, if this sells out in seconds I'm going to look like a right mug :pac:

Did you go to the Grand Canal show? I have to say I was disappointed with the show as even that was too big... The Olympia would be as big as I would want to see them in... Its what happens though I suppose as they get more recognition the bigger the venues become.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I guess it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that they'd play both..

They don't have any shows that weekend either. And POD run E.P and promote the Bon Iver gig.

But I think the two gigs are too close together for that to happen. I'm not sure there'd be enough people to see them at E.P and then again at the O2 2 months later..

Then again E.P is a completely different experience so you never know!

I'd be very surprised though!

He's not playing EP. It makes no commercial sense to announce this gig before EP has taken place (If he was playing EP that is). Alot of people would be tipped to go to EP by adding Bon Iver to the line-up, now they'll pay a reasonable price for the o2 gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Anyone else have difficulty getting tix this morning? As far as I could see, there were no standing left by 9:02.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭green day rule

They'll prob have the O2 Like they did for blink last week there was only about 7 Rows of seating

From what I could see this morning on the venue map for the event, there was a small standing space at the front but all tiered seating was being used.

Jammyc wrote: »
    Anyone else have difficulty getting tix this morning? As far as I could see, there were no standing left by 9:02.

Was there a pre-sale on?

Was there a pre-sale on?

Yes, there was a presale for o2 customers through o2blueroom.ie

• Advertisement

Yes, there was a presale for o2 customers through o2blueroom.ie

Ah gotcha! And you'd no luck getting tickets? They must've been snapped uo very quickly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Trek1000

I got standing tickets this morning.

That seating chart is weird. A tiny sanding area at the front? Optimum seating???

I see there is seating downstairs also.

Is it some type of pit?

Any ever at a gig in the O2 like this before?

Trek1000 wrote: »
    I got standing tickets this morning.

That seating chart is weird. A tiny sanding area at the front? Optimum seating???

I see there is seating downstairs also.

Is it some type of pit?

Any ever at a gig in the O2 like this before?

I got 2 seating tickets. I've been at the o2 before with a seating chart like this.

There was a small standing area at the front, and all tiered seating was in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Any one think this will sell out? Would like to go, but don't get paid till the 28th

glanman wrote: »
    Did you go to the Grand Canal show? I have to say I was disappointed with the show as even that was too big... The Olympia would be as big as I would want to see them in... Its what happens though I suppose as they get more recognition the bigger the venues become.

No, I wasn't at that show, but I know what you mean and I've had it happen to me with other acts too. I suppose we just have to count ourselves lucky if we get into a good new band or artist early enough to see them play small venues, because if the music is good we can't really complain that other people want to hear it too.

Sometimes I think a band can over reach though and play a venue that's too big to suit them (even if they're popular enough to fill it) and nobody benefits when that happens. I hope that won't be the case with this show but it could be if they get a restless audience (as someone mentioned earlier in the thread).

whats the window for tickets from the 02 blueroom?

whats the window for tickets from the 02 blueroom?

Until Friday at 8am I think.

Until Friday at 8am I think.

huh? sorry i have never been to a gig in the 02 so not familiar with the blueroom thing? So what, there is a chance that all tickets could in fact be sold out for a gig, before they even go on sale.. like with ticketmaster?

huh? sorry i have never been to a gig in the 02 so not familiar with the blueroom thing? So what, there is a chance that all tickets could in fact be sold out for a gig, before they even go on sale.. like with ticketmaster?

I'm not overly familiar with it myself. Have a look around on the o2 Blueroom Site and it'll probably explain it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 bashful_ben

Are the standing tickets (36.50) just for the front section by the stage?

Advertisement