Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bon Iver - The O2, Dublin - 12th November

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 357 ✭✭ballygowan1

This gig seems mostly seated but yet I have standing tickets. Is this basically just a pit down the front or how does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,882 ✭✭✭sporina

so doors open at 7 and the staves are supporting. what kind of time do you think the staves will play and bon iver? first trip to the o2 so no idea of the time frame..

what time should we be there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

sporina wrote: »
    so doors open at 7 and the staves are supporting. what kind of time do you think the staves will play and bon iver? first trip to the o2 so no idea of the time frame..

what time should we be there?

I'd also like to know this, the first time I was at the O2 i mis-timed it and missed the support act alltogether, and the main act started just as I got there.

just rang the o2 there and at the moment, the staves are due on at 8 and bon iver are due on at 9 but when they get confirmation on this, they will put a recorded message on their telephone - no. is 01 8198888

just rang the o2 there and at the moment, the staves are due on at 8 and bon iver are due on at 9 but when they get confirmation on this, they will put a recorded message on their telephone - no. is 01 8198888

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Craazysteve

Doors – 7pm
    The Staves – 8pm to 8.45pm
    Bon Iver – 9.15pm to 10.45pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

what a gig..........

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭glorified g

One of the best gigs I have ever been to! The second encore was unreal! Feck the curfew. So is that them on hiatus now or are they finished with altogether? Lots of rumors going around tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rodriquez

One of the best gigs I have ever been to! The second encore was unreal! Feck the curfew. So is that them on hiatus now or are they finished with altogether? Lots of rumors going around tonight!

amazing gig last night - delighted they played wolves in the second encore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

Yeah, great gig.

Managed to make a tool of myself by going for a drink between songs, rushing back and not being able to find my seat. :o

Second encore was magic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Amazing gig. Anyone know the name of the cover song they played?

The drumming in the show was unreal. Disappointed they didnt do the Yo La Tengo cover, still amazing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I thought the Staves were very good.

I've been to over 20 gigs at the O2 and never had an issue with the sound... until last night...

Some gigs, you'll get away with poor sound, but not last night. I don't think i've ever complained about sound at a gig before, so i'm not just complaining for the sake of it.

Stacks, skinny love, and the 1st half of holocene were great (sound wise), but once the whole band got going there was this constant hum that seemed to drown out the little intricacies, and in spots it was just noise.

Basically the sound was patchy at best. When the sound was grand, the songs blew me away, but the sound distortion really did take away from what could have been my gig of the year (or decade, cos i love bon iver).

I wonder was it just where i was sitting (section F, row 20).

On the plus side.. it was a great athmosphere, and the band fed off it. The Justin / Staves duet for Stacks was brilliant. For Emma, Creature Fear were great too. Being there for the last Bon Iver gig for god knows how long was momentous too, but i just can't shake that feeling this morning of last night falling just short (through no fault of the bands).

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

Bon Iver in Dublins O2 arena last night, pretty sure they are one of the most musically talented bans on the market. Every bit worth going to be at 3am and having to get up for work in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lester Freamon

steve_r wrote: »
    Yeah, great gig.

Managed to make a tool of myself by going for a drink between songs, rushing back and not being able to find my seat. :o

Second encore was magic.

:D I saw that happen to quite a few people!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

What was the turnout like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Full house or very close to it. Incredible gig I thought. Serious talent on display in almost every aspect of the show from the support act to the lighting effects. A special night!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 357 ✭✭ballygowan1

What a great great gig. I had seen him three time before but this one was tops.

He got a great reception.

Anyone standing near that group of drunk students? There was one girl who kept shouting but Justin told her to take a chill pill and she shut up then.

However another member of their drunken group wolf whistled his whole way through the gig and clapped with the hands in the air all the time. Totally off his face. He then took of this t shirt and threw it to the stage. People were really pissed off with him and he should have been thrown out in my opinion. We luckily moved away from him.

On the support. They were grand, nothing special. Great voices but every song sounded the same in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Laurali

Amazing gig. Anyone know the name of the cover song they played?

The drumming in the show was unreal. Disappointed they didnt do the Yo La Tengo cover, still amazing though.

It was a Bjork song.. 'who is it'

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭glorified g

I thought the Staves were very good.

I've been to over 20 gigs at the O2 and never had an issue with the sound... until last night...

Some gigs, you'll get away with poor sound, but not last night. I don't think i've ever complained about sound at a gig before, so i'm not just complaining for the sake of it.

Stacks, skinny love, and the 1st half of holocene were great (sound wise), but once the whole band got going there was this constant hum that seemed to drown out the little intricacies, and in spots it was just noise.

Basically the sound was patchy at best. When the sound was grand, the songs blew me away, but the sound distortion really did take away from what could have been my gig of the year (or decade, cos i love bon iver).

I wonder was it just where i was sitting (section F, row 20).

On the plus side.. it was a great athmosphere, and the band fed off it. The Justin / Staves duet for Stacks was brilliant. For Emma, Creature Fear were great too. Being there for the last Bon Iver gig for god knows how long was momentous too, but i just can't shake that feeling this morning of last night falling just short (through no fault of the bands).

I would have to give the sound guys credit for last night. I was quite close to the barrier and I could hear everything perfectly. I was actually quite worried before hand that his voice would be lost with all the instruments going but I was surprised! The only gripe i had was the bloody lights pointing out to the crowd! I was blinded for the first two songs!

Cant help but get a feeling that last night was a little bit special. Beth/Rest was amazing! Really hope this break up thing is all rumours.

Reggie Pace beatboxing for one of the songs was amazing! For ages I thought it was a computer making the beats!

I couldn't really hear the vocals at all, as in I could hear them but couldn't make out the words. But I'm not complaining. I was sat directly in front of the stage, but at the very very back, way up high. Class class gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

What a great great gig. I had seen him three time before but this one was tops.

He got a great reception.

Anyone standing near that group of drunk students? There was one girl who kept shouting but Justin told her to take a chill pill and she shut up then.

On the support. They were grand, nothing special. Great voices but every song sounded the same in my opinion.

Heard that bout the chill pill alright , i was in the seating area but i figured some tool was pissin him off .
    Gig was really good , didnt think they would sound that powerful live . Ya agree on the supporting act , really lovely voices , blended so well together but they really were labouring the point bout their album , bit off putting .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Cant help but get a feeling that last night was a little bit special. Beth/Rest was amazing! Really hope this break up thing is all rumours.
    Ya , got the feeling that they were really trying to savour the experience. Really enjoyed it .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I took it that they were just pointing out it was the last show of the tour.

Thought the sound was perfect, to anyone who struggled to make out the lyrics, a pair of Dre beats and the original tracks wouldn't help you much there, if you don't have them written down in front of you you've no hope of picking them up! It's just the way he sings.

Seres wrote: »
    Heard that bout the chill pill alright , i was in the seating area but i figured some tool was pissin him off .
    Gig was really good , didnt think they would sound that powerful live . Ya agree on the supporting act , really lovely voices , blended so well together but they really were labouring the point bout their album , bit off putting .

Here ya go. I recorded Stacks, and caught the bit about the chill pill...

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edit?ns=1&video_id=nozIZPhxsQ8

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

Laurali wrote: »

It was a Bjork song.. 'who is it'

Ah that was it ! Stuck in my head all day :D

Top class gig. Was close to the front and thought the sound was great, all round fantastic.

Seems most people had no sound issues, which is good.
    I'd like to be one of you, or the many on twitter saying it was the best gig ever etc.
    Hard luck Brian me, eh!
    It was still a top gig though.
    I wonder if it was recorded for posterity, seeing as it was the last gig ever and all that?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

Seems most people had no sound issues, which is good.
    I'd like to be one of you, or the many on twitter saying it was the best gig ever etc.
    Hard luck Brian me, eh!
    It was still a top gig though.
    I wonder if it was recorded for posterity, seeing as it was the last gig ever and all that?

Is it really their last gig or just their last gig of the tour ?

MGMTea wrote: »

Last gig ever
    (Until they come up with new material, and are done with their solo projects i guess)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

MGMTea wrote: »

Justin Vernon confirmed Bon Iver have split up, but he said "..at least for a while" which really implies it is a long hiatus.

I'd say they will be back, maybe in a few years time but prob not anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

I was in the pit and the sound was perfect. Some of my friends were seated though and said the sound was poor. Discussed it with herself and she agreed that the sound was fantastic. Bit of a strange one, they may have got the levels wrong or summat.

Advertisement