Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.204 vs .223

Options
  • 19-06-2012 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

what are lads opinions on these 2 calibers, cost? effectiveness? foxes and the occasional bunny!! what setups do people have?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Here is a thread about both of them: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69654279

In general
    .204: Flatter shooting
    Costs more as no cheap ammo

.223: Bigger range of bullets from 40-75gr
    Cheap ammo

Both will kill foxes and bunnies no problem with the correct shot placement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Love the 204 but my 223 with 40gr is nearly as flat and as above i have a great range of anmo choice including cheap ammo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Glutton for punishment.:D

There are dozens of threads on this, and none were ever "settled".

Try;

Here

Here

Here

Here

Here

Here

Here

Here
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

If I wanted an accurate gun Id go for 204
    If I wanted an accurate gun and I didnt have much money Id go for 223

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

The way I look at is that the .204 compares to the .223, the way the .17hmr compares to the .22wmr. Both were developed to do the same job, and both will do them very well. The newer faster cartridges have a ballistic advantage over the older cartridges, which makes them easier to shoot.
    The difference in price for the premium ammo in either caliber is tiny, something like a euro a box in the difference between a box of hornady 55gr v-max .233 and a box of 40gr v-max .204.
    To be perfectly honest if I hadn't decided to take up deer stalking, I would have rebarreled my .223 as a .204 instead of a .243, and who knows, maybe in a few years if I decide to rebarrel the .243 as something with a bit more poke like a .270, I might build a full custom .204

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

around last year very few people had .204 bit the numbers have grown rapidly since then. Both will do the job..
    Id go .204 if i had the money to run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

If money is tight or you want a short rifle .223 if you want to hit long range bunnies and crows 204, as its faster flatter and less muzzle flip, not that a .223 has much, awaiting my license for a cz american in .204 at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

ormondprop wrote: »
    .......awaiting my license for a cz american in .204 at the moment

Nice:D

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Alucan

Big range of ammo for the 223 but most guns won't shoot the full range
    From 40 grain to 75 grain depending on twist rate. 40 grain vmax in the 223
    Are very close to 32 grain in the 204 and much the same price for hunting
    Foxes both will destroy them. when you get to the 75 grain in the 223 I don't
    Really see the point if you want to fire 75 grain go for a 243
    But all that said i have had a 223 and now have a 204 and I won't be goin back to the 223

• Registered Users Posts: 47 teckel

I had both. If I had to choose I'd pick the .204. Brilliant round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

its like choosing between a lambo and a Ferrari :D

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭leupold90

From what I've seen .204 is more .22-250 territory than .223.

Guns and Ammo magazine did a comparisson between them (22-250 vs .204) and while there wasn't much between them, the .204 was more comfortable to shoot.

Biggest advantage of .223 against the .204 is the availability of cheaper ammo. But as others have pointed out there's bugger all between the price of premium .204 ammo & .223.

Whatever you get - post pictures! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

leupold90 wrote: »
    From what I've seen .204 is more .22-250 territory than .223.

Guns and Ammo magazine did a comparisson between them (22-250 vs .204) and while there wasn't much between them, the .204 was more comfortable to shoot.

Biggest advantage of .223 against the .204 is the availability of cheaper ammo. But as others have pointed out there's bugger all between the price of premium .204 ammo & .223.

Whatever you get - post pictures! :)

.204 will be about 12p per round cheaper to reload. Or £12 per 100... (than 22-250)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

How does it compare to 223 premium rounds for reloading lad? And do you want a load of empty 223??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

How does it compare to 223 premium rounds for reloading lad? And do you want a load of empty 223??

I'm not sure but there cant be more than a couple of pence between .204 and .223.

A friend of mine was threatening to buy a 22-250 a couple of months ago and I was using the cost to run as an argument against- that's why I know it's around £12/100 more.

Any round you load is basically going to be a premium load. For example I run a 50gr v-max at about the same speed as superperformance and there's little chance hornady are matching my attention to detail!

(and yes, I will take all the cases I can get- for all calibres!)

I had to buy .270 cases recently because the PRVI ones I had were spliiting at the neck... :(

Advertisement