Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android App Pricing Strategy

Options
  • 19-06-2012 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Just wondering what any of you android devs out there do in terms of pricing.
    For me im going to release the first app soon. but have four options the way i see it.
    1) Release the app at a cost of say 80cent
    2) Release it free in order to build a reputation and charge for subsequent
    releases
    3) Ad supported
    4) Have the app free with a link to a donation version.

Any of ye have any experience,tips on first app release plan?]

cheers :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The general consensus is to release a free limited and ad supported version if your app can work that way and then have a full fat version available.

It really depends on what it is and how good the app is, also be prepared to advertise and promote the app, many apps are great but fail to make money because the dev is great at developing but hasn't the no how to promote the app so no one knows it exists!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

Well this is just my first app and is very simple. ( its a memory pairs matching game for kids) so i cant really limit it too much. The plan is to get it out the door and see the response, i do have a plan to add many more mini games to the app all with a focus on memory,comprehension etc.any tips for marketing?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Well this is just my first app and is very simple. ( its a memory pairs matching game for kids) so i cant really limit it too much. The plan is to get it out the door and see the response, i do have a plan to add many more mini games to the app all with a focus on memory,comprehension etc.any tips for marketing?

Personally I'd release it for free to see what response it gets, then add your extras and charge for them in a pro version.

As for marketing you just have to do lots of ground work, identify your target market and present it to them as much as possible, ask websites for reviews, go to forums and pimp it there, set up a facebook page and link to pages that your target audience would use etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

draffodx wrote: »
    Personally I'd release it for free to see what response it gets, then add your extras and charge for them in a pro version.

As for marketing you just have to do lots of ground work, identify your target market and present it to them as much as possible, ask websites for reviews, go to forums and pimp it there, set up a facebook page and link to pages that your target audience would use etc....

hmmm yeah kinda thinking along those lines. the app is targeted at kids so im a bit reluctant to use adds. at the same time im in full time employment so working on the app it tough without any gain....but doing this version free and the upgrade later may be the most sensible, you might be right....

• Advertisement
Advertisement